Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size wheel spacers for rear??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 07:57 PM
vermontcalbud
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size wheel spacers for rear??????

Can anyone tell me what size wheel spacers I will need on the rear of my early 85 944??
I have purchased a set of 4 like new Phone Dials and want to put them on in place of my factory Cookie Cutters.
The front ones go on nicely on the hub with no problems!!
The back ones need spacers because the lugs are tightened up and they are loose!!
I have "Pounded % Pounded & Pounded" the ones attached to my rear Cookie Cutters and they will not "Budge"
I would much rather leave them attached to them anyways instead of ruining them.
I need to know the MM size of spacers I need to purchase.
I have asked this question a few times on 2 different forums on Rennlist and still no answer.Thanks!!
Old 06-19-2005, 08:29 PM
icat
Race Car

Possibly the reason you're not receiving a reply is that you haven't given any one enough info to make an informed answer.

Here's the rub (pardon the pun). Phone dials came in two different offsets - early (23.3 mm) and late (52 mm). Your car came with an early offset. Assuming no one has changed anything, then the early offset phone dials should bolt on.

If the phone dials you have purchased are late offset, then I would advise you to sell them and look for an early offset pair. The reason is this - the cost to "modify" your early offset car to accept late offset wheels is going to be more than the phone dials are worth. If you were going to Cups (911 wheels like those in my avatar which are on my 86 951), then you could "cost justify" the expense (but just barely). However, having said all of this, the answer to your question is 28mm - but if and only if the phone dials you are trying to put on the rear are 52mm offset.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect that there may be another answer here, but again more info is needed.
If the fronts fit correctly, as opposed to sitting an inch + too far in, than I suspect that these must be early offset wheels (marked 23.3 on the bask of a spoke). Further, the rears should not have so long a stud that the wheel can not be tightened. The early cars had a factory rear spacer that was not present on the 85.5 and 86 cars, while I can't imagine why this would attach itself to the wheel, it sounds like this may be the case. IIRC, the spacer was 25mm, but a 28mm would work just as well. Another option would be open ended lug nuts so that the stud can seat correctly.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:48 PM
vermontcalbud
Intermediate

They are marked 23.3 on the inside of them.
I thought I gave enough info on my problem.
I stated that its an early 85.
I stated that the front go on with no problems.
I stated that my rear Cookie cutters have a factory spacer attached to it.
I then asked what size spacer I would need to mount the rears.
I cant imagine there is more info that has to be submitted to get an answer on the MM size that I need.
Dark Red
What size were the factory spacers on the rear wheels of an early 1985 Porsche 944???
Thanks!
Old 06-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

From the sound of the earlier post, it seemed that your problem was solved.

Any case, the stock rear spacer is 21 mm. You can check around here or order them.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I stated that my rear Cookie cutters have a factory spacer attached to it.
I then asked what size spacer I would need to mount the rears."

Somehow the factory 21mm spacer got stuck to your Cookie Cutters? Probably corrosion of some sort. Tap a chisel into the gap between the spacer and the rim and work back and forth on opposite sides, it should come out. Otherwise, you can pick up some more 21mm spacers, part# 477.501.701.

Quick Reply: What size wheel spacers for rear??????