Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS rack leaking again, weird movement

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:37 PM
tomc_85.5_944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS rack leaking again, weird movement

Resealed the rack about a year ago, had some issues

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=17871

and now is has started leaking out the drivers side again, which I am guessing is the seal that I replaced earlier going bad due to the multiple installations.

BUT, I noticed when I was moving the wheels from underneat the car, there was a mm or two of VERTICAL movement in the splined rod that connects to the tie rods. I assume that is why the seal wore out, but I don't know why there is vertical movement. From what I can recall, everything inside the rack was in good shape. I did drive the car for a few months with no power steering, but fluid in the system. Could the strain of no power assist have done something inside the rack to account for the vertical movement, or is there something else? Hate to order new stuff and go through the hassle of installation if it is going to do the same thing again, but sooner...
Old 06-19-2005, 02:42 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom...I've had exactly this same problem - in my case the guide ring was missing or worn out. With out the ring the shaft can wander (as you described) and at some point the it gets off center enough that the seal lets go. I think this is most likely to happen at extreme turning (parking)... just my theory, some say the ring is not even needed. I have considered making the piece from scratch as I don't believe it is available anywhere....Bruce
Old 06-19-2005, 08:22 PM
tomc_85.5_944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Bruce. Mine moves almost as soon as I start turning the wheel back to the right. Going to the left is fine. I know when I resealed my rack it was there, but don't know if it is damaged now. or was then. Guess I get to find out. So what has your solution been, other than replacing the seal every so often, or have you done like I am now and just pulled the belt to the pump, and gotten a workout each time you leave a parking lot...
Old 06-20-2005, 11:05 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My solution was to get another rack and cannibalize that one part. Sorry, I know, not what you wanted to hear.

I carried a note with the measurements for that little part around in my wallet for months hoping I would stumble onto something of similar deminsions. Showed pictures of it to several of my hydraulics buddies. There are lots of guiderings available but that one is weird. I like a challenge but so far, that one has whipped me...;]
Old 06-21-2005, 01:47 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

[BUMP]....steer

Quick Reply: PS rack leaking again, weird movement