Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in the coolant??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in the coolant??

I noticed this after my car sits for about 1 week without getting started, small pebbles of oil. I was told that it might be the oil cooler seals and not the head gasket because of the small amount. What do you guys think?
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

seals cost 400 to do, head gasket....

try the seals first. mine were done three times, turns out the PO had a monkey change the head gasket and he used a rolac grinder on the head and cut an oil passage.

the monkey did an excellent job of covering his tracks. couldnt tell it was ever touched.

antonio,
are any dealers going below GMS by you? about to smartbuy a rendezvous ultra. pull the trigger or hold till july? what do you think?
Old 06-18-2005, 09:39 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

You could certainly change the oil cooler seals if you wanted. No harm. However, if it was me, I'd not worry about it just yet. Tha is not much oil, if that is what it is. I'd just keep an eye on it.

You could also fix it by not letting the car sit so dang much!
Old 06-19-2005, 12:44 AM
Antonio951
Drifting

Thats what i was thinking, its not a whole lot of oil just a couple small beads. I wouldn't have noticed it if i wasn't as picky as i am. It only gets there after about a week of sitting.
Knowing me ill take it in and have them change the headgasket and oil cooler seals just to be safe.
But i will check it everytime i get done driving to make sure the coolant doesn't get to the "milkshake" point. Just don't want anything to blow.

Anyone else think its anything major?
Old 06-19-2005, 12:55 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can wait and keep an eye on it but be mindful that when it does go the seals will go quickly and you absolutely must keep a close watch on them or you will definately do more harm. Again, I agree that you have very very little to worry about right now. One thing to think about is the pros and cons of waiting. If money is the issue (as it can be with all of us from time to time) then I'd wait and watch closely but if it's not I'd change sooner than later because either way you're gonna change them.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

When you say harm, what exactly can happen?
Old 06-19-2005, 07:33 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonioali
When you say harm, what exactly can happen?
In a nut shell what will happen is that you will get more and more oil in the coolant, which will gravely hinder the "cooling" properties of your coolant and will make the car slowly run hotter and hotter until it gets to the point where you'll take it to the corner store and back and it will over heat. Then you'll be dealing with all of the heat associated problems and be asking yourself "did I crack my head" etc...

Quick Reply: Oil in the coolant??