Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield removal & installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 05:40 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Windshield removal & installation

What's the easiest / best way to DIY without busting the new glass into a zillion pieces or ending up with leaks? Time for replacement. . .
Old 06-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly, there really is not good way to do this, without the proper tools. those windshield install guys have the right tools and they are quick and talented. Personally I would really just consider paying someone to do it. Otherwise you are going to have issues.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't drop it...

and call a pro, IMHO...it's not an easy task if ya don't know how it's done...
Old 06-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I know. Look. If I wanted a shop quote, I'd call a shop. I'm trying to save myself from getting ripped off here. Conversation will go something like this:

"Hi, can I get a quote on having a windshield replaced?"
"Sure, what kind of car?"
"an '85 Porsche 944"
"Wait a second, did you say PORSCHE?"
"um. . . yea."
"OK, hang on a second"

(elevator music, you know on the other end, someone's going - "Hey Vinnie, some bonehead wants a quote for a Porsche", followed by laughter and "you know what to do - jack it up dude")

(guy looks at catalog, sees glass price is $200 and about 1 hour labor)

(elevator music stops)

"Are you still there?"
"Yes"
"Well, that's going to be. . . um. . . $300 for the windshield and $300 for installation"
"Geez, that sounds a bit pricey, how much if I furnish the windshield since I have a spare?"
"Oh, well then it'll just be $500 labor".

See what I'm getting at? I'm trying to not get the typical shop rip-off here, which is why I asked for a DIY procedure, not a lecture.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:37 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

You sure have a trust issue for glass shops? All 5 quotes I got were within 10% of each other. I went with a dealer recommended place for $277. Doing a Porsche windshield isn't really a DIY job unless you have one of those pop in gasket types on older cars. Our windshields require the correct tools, sealants, and installation experience...if you have all of those covered I guess you don't need a lecture and we are all insulting your glass experience here. Call around and see what they will charge to put your own spare in...bet it's less than $100.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Sorry Jeff, I wasn't trying to lecture ya... but I'll do anything on these cars, and I wouldn't dream of doing a windshield... Just the thought of dropping my new expensive peice of glass makes me cringe every time I think of it...
Old 06-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, and Jeff, I see that Elite Auto Glass has gone to California... So.. check them out, they did my windshield repair for $175.00, new glass, installed. granted, I don't have the in-windshield antenna, but still, cheap. I bet if you sourced the glass, they'd charge $75.00, and come to your home/business to do it while you're there...

www.eliteautoglass.com
Old 06-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

It cost 600 dollars to replace a windshield on my old 84 944. Luckily I didn't pay for it. The windshield alone cost 400 And, to top that off it didn't even have the integrated antenna!
Old 06-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

OK, I guess it's worth some phone tag then. Sorry for the retort, I wasn't trying to snap at ya. Hadn't had the AM coffee, but all is well now and I'm buzzin'. I've just been less than impressed with the integrity of shops as of late:

(1) Price to vaccum out an a/c system (that's it - already freon recovered, etc. Just needed to get it vaccumed) - $150.

(2) Price to get belts, water pump & front seals done on n/a 944 (just to see - I DIY on these) - $1,700.

(3) Price for two new tires on my wife's '02 Toyota YESTERDAY (advertised at $119 each) - $350 (after all the bull**** hidden charges, so really about $175 each)

(4) Getting window tinting on the 951 (price listed on wall was $99) - initially told $165 due to the complexity and that they'd have to order a sheet of film large enough to do the rear hatch in one piece so it'd be a week for it to come in. I said fine, made the app't to go in on Saturday and have it done, went in and was told by the jackass that they "lost the order". Yea right. He could do the rear hatch but it'd be in "three or four" sections and the price would be $250 due to the extra labor. I not-so-politely told him to go **** himself.

I can keep going. This is why I'm staunchly DIY for everything unless I absolutely have to. Shops try to bend you over and screw you right up the crapper. Constantly. Sorry for my cynicism, but it's earned.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

The price for a timing belt and water pump is sickening expensive. I pay 1,000 less than that!!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
See what I'm getting at? I'm trying to not get the typical shop rip-off here, which is why I asked for a DIY procedure, not a lecture.
Sorry for the lecture man, I just know from personal experience, having tried removing about 3 of them, not a single one came out perfectly.

I have also worked in a shop where we built race cars, and every single one had to have the glass pulled and re installed, it takes skill and the right tools to do it the right way.

If you can find the knifes and such that you need, then I say go for it.

tools for example:
http://www.equalizer.com/Merchant2/m...tore_Code=2004

A DIY procedure:
http://links.vintage-mustang.com/FAQ...w_removal.html

good luck, the decision is yours!
Old 06-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

OK thanks for the tip. I'll call around and if I can find a decent place that'll do it for under a hundred bucks then it's all good. I ain't holding my breath, but it's worth looking and a few phone calls then. Thanks for the info. / advice.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:41 PM
marky522
Drifting

Its honestly not "That" hard, just takes time and paitentce, I used to do it, if you have the right tools it isnt that bad, But ihant ever cut one out of a p-car...

Mark
Old 06-13-2005, 06:31 PM
tomrc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my Scirocco windshield by myself with help from a friend, it wasn't insanely difficult. Actually easier than I thought. I think the hardest part on an early Porsche is getting the trim pieces out of there without putting kinks in them. You will need a competent second person. One you can trust with heavy expensive glass.

Once you get the glass out using the method in the link above, put the new rubber seal around the windshield you are going to install (use some liquid dish soap to lube it if needed). Once it's on take some thin string and wrap it the full lenth arount the groove that the body fits in. Leave both ends at the bottom center of the glass crossed over each other and at least 2" hanging out. Add more dish soap to the groove and surrounding area. Put windshield in place (string ends in the interior), have friend put firm pressure to bottom outside of glass where the string ends are. Take one end of the string (preferrable the end that crossed over the top of the other end) and gently pull the string while friend keeps constant and firm pressure to the area where you are pulling the string. Work slowly around the whole windshield. You should see the rubber seal coming over the body as you pull the string. If you didn't break anything get a beer for you and friend and replace the trim while drinking said beverage. Caution don't do the last step first.

That's the way it worked on the Scirocco, it shouldn't be any or much different on an early Porsche. Now the epoxied windshields are a whole 'nother story.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:39 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Tomrc,
The Porsche windshield doesn't work like that, what you describe is the old pop-in seal I mentioned. Ours have to cut away, cleaned, glued, and set. There are no strings to pull although that method does work on the quarter panel windows.

Quick Reply: Windshield removal & installation