Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools? What to get and what not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005 | 06:48 AM
troll
Advanced

Default Tools? What to get and what not?

I'm looking to buy a tool set soon. I was going to just opt out and buy a Craftsman tool set through Sears later today (its 3AM), but I figure it would be best if I headed here first before making any mistakes. What should I get? Any recommondations are helpful. Thanks!

BTW--this is for the 944 of course.
Old 06-12-2005 | 07:22 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

How big are you planning to go, and what are you planning to do? Wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, hammer...then there are other more specific things like: torque wrench, cheese-head sockets, 17mm allen wrench, oil filter wrench..etc.

I would consider the essentials: 3/8":8, 10, 13, 17, 19mm sockets and wrenches, 3/8" socket wrench, conduit to use as a breaker bar (or 1/2" sockets with long arm as well), and both large/small flathead/phillips screwdrivers.
Old 06-12-2005 | 08:06 AM
troll
Advanced

Well I was looking at spending around 100$ for starters for this 155pc Craftman set. Go big or go home, right? I just want to go big, in the right way.
Old 06-12-2005 | 08:12 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

From what I have seen of their sets about that size they have alot of what you'll need. As you get into new jobs you will slowly start needing more, but looks like an excellent start.
Old 06-12-2005 | 08:27 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Get a set of 1/4 drive metrics also.
The tight places on these cars really require it.
Also pick up a torque wrench.
Building a tool set is a life long endevor. Get what you know you need now and
when ever a job comes up that requires another tool, head to Sears and pick it up.
Its always cheaper to buy the tool for the job than pay for the labor.
Old 06-12-2005 | 08:57 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

About a year ago, I ended up buing a 3-something piece Craftsman tool set that was on sale for $400, and I have been more than happy with it. I bought it in addition to a bunch of socket sets I already had so there's a lot of doubling up, but still, I find that very helpful. Additionally, I have also paid for a bunch of tools that I am yet to use.

The above set looks like a great start, but will echo the above recommendation for a torque wrench and 1/4" drive metric sockets.

Some people will probably start telling you to get Snap-On tools and whatnot because "they are simply the best". And while I agree that they are higher quality than Craftsman (I had a former P-mechanic roommate for a year and got to use his full set as needed!) I don't think they are really worth it for the budget-minded home mechanic who isn't spending most of his free time wrenching.

Just my opinion, of course.

BB.
Old 06-12-2005 | 09:05 AM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I started my little car hobby with a $100 set of craftsman tools about 20 years ago, and have since spent about $50K on tools (including several $1000 plus items). I still have most of the craftsman tools I ever bought.

Even today, I only have 6 snap on tools, specifically the triple square internal sockets, since snapon will replace them when worn out.

The biggest problem I have is leaving them in cars I take to the crusher...

So, troll, buy that craftsman set, knowing that you will get a good buncha tools for the money.

gb
Old 06-12-2005 | 09:08 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i started my set with one of the craftsman 300 piece gizmos, my advice is after you get a decent set like that.. buy the stuff that is easily misplaced... several sets of screwdrivers, assortment of pliers, vice grips, channel locks etc. etc. if you are doing work on your 944, then i recomend getting Bruce's set of tules for your timing belt/waterpump job, with shipping its 100$ and you get a roller wrench, gear seperator, krikit tool for tensioning the belts, and a flywheel lock. pretty fair price if you ask me. then from there on out, you just start buying what you need instead of borrowing it, and soon you will find yourself needing a bigger toolbox
Old 06-12-2005 | 10:36 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Wait for this to go on sale (like it is right now) it's a very good starter set. The plastic toolbox is actually very nice - fits in the spare tire location on my 928 for track events:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00933263000
Old 06-12-2005 | 12:12 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

I recommend you dish 200. There is a very nice all metric set, which I bought.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...nics+Tool+Sets

The only thing I currently have in addition are pliers, screwdrivers, and a few misc tools. Very good place to start.
Old 06-12-2005 | 12:27 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

The set that Sergey posted is a good one. Only thing that its missing is a breaker bar, which youll need. Then down the road invest in a torque wrench and youll be set.
Old 06-12-2005 | 12:31 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Can't go wrong with Sears I started my set with the 155 piece set and have added on as I needed.
Old 06-12-2005 | 12:50 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

The best thing I got was a set of metric swivel ratchet wrenches. They're not cheap, I think it was about $60 or $70 for the set but it's worth it's weight in gold. That and the best 10mm socket you can get your hands on. And a universal 13mm socket. Other than those, standard metric stuff should work fine. Also get a GOOD set of metric allen keys.
Old 06-12-2005 | 01:12 PM
Geo
Race Director

Wow, some of you went "Hollywood" with those big expensive ($100-200) sets from Sears to start out. Shoot, I started my tool collection 25 years ago in college with a $7 socket set from K-Mart. From there I bought a set from Monkey Wards when I worked there at half price because they had a half dozen imcomplete sets so I bought a $40 set for $20 (I was out of control ).

Today I hate to even add up what I have in tools, although I wouldn't call it the most extensive. I've just bought as needed. Now if I could only "need" some Snap-Ons. That just isn't going to happen. As nice as they are, there is no way I could justify them, even used off eBay. Like so many others, I long for a step between Sears and Snap-On with a middling price to match.

Get yourself a good basic set and add what you need when you need it. Go through the hardware department regularly (or a Sears Hardware store if you have one) and watch for the deals. Most of my tools I've bought from them in the last 5-10 years have been when they had great sales.

Sears certainly isn't the greatest, but they are probably the best bang for the buck along with Kobalt.
Old 06-12-2005 | 01:13 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would highly recommend a send of racheting gear wrenches (reversable and flex head), they make working on these cars much much easier. Also lots of extensions, wobbles, etc, in both 1/4 and 3/8". You really don't need any half inch stuff at all except for maybe a torque wrench, and a deep 24mm and deep 19 mm. Craftsman is as good as you need. I have craftsman, snapon, and no-name knock off tools (for the ones i rarely use), and to be honest with you, it seems like the snap on's are the ones that always are breaking. There are some things between snap on and craftsman where the quality is noticable, mostly that is in the allen head sockets and triple squares. Only craftsman tool i have ever broke was a 3/8 rachet that i had about a 4 foot breaker bar on....and they exchanged it no questions asked.

Also i would recommend going someplace like harbor freight, cummings tool, etc and pick up a full set of open/box end wrenches...they are usually like 10 bucks for a set (cheap tools). I have never broke one, but they are handy when you need to slightly modify a wrench and don't feel bad about bending up a cheap 1 dollar wrench (see my post on the easy way to take out a crossover pipe bolt). I have bent them to get the right angle, ground the heads down for really tight spaces, etc. My first 9.99 set is still complete.

Quick Reply: Tools? What to get and what not?