Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help ASAP! Q about installing recaro seat...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:09 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Need help ASAP! Q about installing recaro seat...

So a local shop loaned me a recaro sport so I could see if I wanted those vs the speeds.

I have the stock drivers seat out and I want to transfer the stock 3 point inboard belt receptacle over to the recaro slider. Easy enough, right? Wrong!!

There's no spot on the recaro slider to mount it to! No tapped hole, no bracket, nothing. Of course the stock bracket is welded to the stock slider.

So my question is, how did you guys get that stock receptacle mounted to your aftermarket seats? Are there a specific set of recaro sliders if you want to use the stock belt? Or do you disassemble the stock slider to use that rail with the recaro seat?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:38 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

seatbelt is not attached to the seat. just to the pillar and the floor. show us what your are looking at.

just unbolt the stock rails, put them on the recaros and bolt the rails to the floor. should be that easy.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:52 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's a late car the seat belt attaches to the seat instead of the TT tunnel.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:11 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

No, it's NOT that easy! While the belt itself is mounted to the B pillar, the receptacle (ie, the thing the belt clicks into) is mounted to the stock seat rail. That bracket is welded to the stock slider, and there's no provision on the recaro slider for it.

Hence, without me fabbing a bracket and welding it to the recaro slider, no seat belt, nowhere to mount the harness inner point, so I put the stock seats back in.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:26 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard of people adding in the nut to the TT tunnel and beefing it up then adding the receiver back to the tunnel like it is on the early cars.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:35 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

on my later 944 the seatbelt receptacle (as you call it) is bolted to the stock seat and slider system and i had to unbolt it. it wasn't real easy but it's doable although i think i permanently altered the stock seat.

to mount the sparco sprint seat with sliders, i then drilled a hole through the central tunnel and used a backing plate underneath the car to bolt the seatbelt receptacle to the central tunnel with an eyebolt. the receptacle is now stationary, but i can still use the stock seatbelts for street use, and hook up a harness to the eyebolt for track use.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:25 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the bracket is spot welded to the stock rails on my car. I'd have to drill out the welds and reweld it to the recaro rails. I'd rather not do that as then I'm permenantly altering the car. I'm also not real happy with drilling a hole to mount the belt/harness. I'm probably going to have a bracket fabbed and welded to the recaro rail...
Old 06-10-2005, 07:30 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,229 Posts

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/specs....=39&Submit.y=5
Old 06-10-2005, 09:17 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
on my later 944 the seatbelt receptacle (as you call it) is bolted to the stock seat and slider system and i had to unbolt it. it wasn't real easy but it's doable although i think i permanently altered the stock seat.

Originally Posted by docwyte
Yeah, the bracket is spot welded to the stock rails on my car. I'd have to drill out the welds and reweld it to the recaro rails. I'd rather not do that as then I'm permenantly altering the car.
You are both right. The power seats have it tacked to the rail, whereas the non-power seats have it bolted to the rail.

Instead of hacking up your power seat rail, use a rail from a non-power seat. In my car (85.5) the passenger seat was non-power while the drivers seat was. I just had to drill out two different holes in the rear to accomodate for the different mount holes to move it to the drivers side. Alternatively, you could take the seatbelt receptacle bracket to a local shop and have them fab one for you out of hardened steel sheet stock and use that instead. Hope that makes sense.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:22 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a shot of what the little piece looks like, it was also used on the 968CS seats. It is part# 24, same piece used on the non-power stock seats.

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP! Q about installing recaro seat...