Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV joint

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 06:25 PM
mhhedm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV joint

The local Porsche mechanic lifts my 944 S2 -91 with free hanging wheels, rocks the rear axles and says that the CV joints need new grease ($370).

The rubber boots are in good shape and the movement in the axles were an approximate inch or less.

Do you think I need to act?

Thanks,

Mikael
Old 06-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I got ripped off early on in my 944 ownership regarding the CV joints. In short, run from that "local Porsche mechanic" quickly.

First the clicking may be coming from the brake pads in the rear, if that metal clip that holds them secure is broken or lost. They will click when you drive at slow speeds (mine did).

Second, even if it is the CV joints, you can get two complete axles and install them yourself for less then that guy wants to charge you to re-grease them. And if they just need new grease, you can do it yourself for the price of grease.

If you are unsure how to do it, post your location and maybe someone in your area would be willing to help out. It's really quite an easy job.

-Matt
Old 06-08-2005, 12:55 AM
Jared944
Racer

I 2nd that. Re-greasing CV joints are not hard at all (as long as you have a jack, some jackstands and a toolbox). www.clarks-garage.com has a pretty detailed write up on it. I did it in an afternoon.

Jared
Old 06-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car was in gear and the rear wheel rocked 1", something needs to be replaced. CV joint(s), R&P gears or something else. No way is re-greasing the CV joints going to take a significant amount of lash out of the drivetrain. One or more CV joints need to be replaced. Jack up the car yourself, put it in gear and see where the slack (if any) is occuring.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:40 PM
mhhedm
Intermediate

Smile

Thanks for your replies

There is no abnormal sounds such as the infamous ticking occuring.
The car was not in gear when the slack was tested and the slack did not occur rotational, but instead back and forth along the axle itself.

Is such a slack normal?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

No, such slack is not normal. But as waterboy said, them regreasing it isn't going to fix your problem and you will be out $370. Still though, if you aren't getting any "ticking" while driving or cornering.....? Maybe the CV joint isn't the problem?

Check this page: http://www.paragon-products.com/category_s/143.htm

Decide if you want to replace the complete assembly or just the CV joint/boot, how many, etc. As you can see the prices are not that bad.

-Matt
Old 06-08-2005, 03:55 PM
4thChild
Rennlist Member

Got the same thing from my local Porsche mechanic. Tool him to sell me the boot and I'd do it myself, and I'm no mechanic. Figured how hard can it be. Got home to inspect for the "boot tear" and can't find it anywhere. Hence, boot in garage waiting for the tear.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:15 PM
mhhedm
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Hmm... sounds good

Since I don't experience ANY problem with the drive train, (only the uncertainty of my mechanic's comment) how would I know what the tolerance should be?

How many inches should the axle be able to move between the wheel and the gear box before something needs to be done? Where can the information be found? Anyone knows?

Mikael

Quick Reply: CV joint