Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple Questions Regarding the Manual Rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 05:05 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple Questions Regarding the Manual Rack

I am thinking about possibly using a 944 manual rack on my Nissan 240SX (taboo I know), and I'd like to get some idea of dimentions and threads.

The tie rods will need to be replaced, from the looks of it I can use a simple male 5/8" rod end with a metric thread pitch, and the adjustment rod should cover the rest as far as toe adjustment.

Not too sure how the steering linkage will line up, I need to measure the OD of the box input and the no. of splines. My 240SX uses a two piece design so I might have to fabricate an adaptor linkage.

Custom urethane bushings out to hold the rack in place.

Now questions:
1. Anyone know specs on the rod ends as far as the rod OD and thread?
2. Anyone know any spec that might help me get this working?

Either that or I'm looking at capped off PS rack which feels like crap to me. I think the manual rack is nicely suited for a 2300 lbs. 240SX

And before it's asked, there is no readily available manual rack for the 240SX, they all came with power racks and Nissan has no swapable racks unless you wanna go with a steering box setup from the trucks (heavy crap).

I did search and I found alot of info regarding the feedback feel of the rack, but nothing similar to this thread. I am mindful of my overall suspension geometry such as my scrub radius, etc. so as to make the passage to manual steering easier.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

I'm gonna take that as a no.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:36 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Driftomagnifico
I'm gonna take that as a no.
You have to keep in mind that you are asking questions about a spec that 99% of the people on this list don't have. Only the 83's and factory-spec race cars here in the US got the manual racks, in Europe basically the same except for manual racks were a little more common (as was no A/C). Even those of us that have the manual rack, and need tie rods, just purchase them and don't really take the time to get the thread size/pitch. And most can't dissassemble the racks that are on their cars to get you the spec.

Now questions:1. Anyone know specs on the rod ends as far as the rod OD and thread? 2. Anyone know any spec that might help me get this working?
I think the best way to get your answers is to purchase a manual rack and check the thread/pitch and also the fitiment issues that you may run into. Worse case is that if you decide it doesn't work, you could sell it on here easily and at least get your money back for the rack. Alternatively, you could call a parts supplier like Paragon Products (www.paragon-products.com). Since they sell the parts you would need, maybe they could help you.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Cool thanks.

Quick Reply: Couple Questions Regarding the Manual Rack