Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's side mirror glass fell out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 01:52 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you need it, or was Mark able to help you out?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:42 PM
FLanderhol
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha man i lost my mirrior on friday the 13th lol i dont belive in that stuff but i was lucky that my dad had one from his 928 that he replaced with the gts style!
Old 06-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
Do you need it, or was Mark able to help you out?
Mark and I are meeting in a few hours. Should have a replacement if all goes according to plan.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:50 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

How'd it go?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

How'd it go?
Yeah - good question. Mark and I hit it off great! He's big into making 924s better. Good guy.

The mirror he gave me will work. I just need to fix all the stuff I broke taking the old one apart. I finessed the hell out of the mounting piece and snapped off three little white plastic bits. No big deal - they only control the position of the mirror.

So - I'm going to try and disassemble the whole thing and see if I can do that without further finessing the hell out of it. And if I am able to do that - I'll try to switch the damaged parts over to the navigator's side and bring those (currently working) parts over to the driver's side. Based on my finesse level to this point - I think I'm going to be looking for complete mirror assemblies before long.

Got the rear hatch glass job and the mirror job on the plate for Saturday.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:33 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott: The glass 9and only the glass) on my 88 NA passenger side mirror fell off, heck i used super glue and literally glued the glass back on.

NO problems for 2 years, and mind you, we have extremely hot and humid summers and it held up just fine.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Scott: The glass 9and only the glass) on my 88 NA passenger side mirror fell off, heck i used super glue and literally glued the glass back on.

NO problems for 2 years, and mind you, we have extremely hot and humid summers and it held up just fine.
Hussam - yes, that is exactly what happend to me. The problem is the glass (and only the glass) fell to the ground and shattered. Now, I have increased the level of difficulty by trying to pull out the mounting mechanism. You might call it a self-inflicted wound.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:21 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

I've got mirror assemblies as well. The driver's is early, passenger is late. I put 968 mirrors on mine and the flag mirrors are just taking up space in the carriage house.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:30 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I've got mirror assemblies as well. The driver's is early, passenger is late. I put 968 mirrors on mine and the flag mirrors are just taking up space in the carriage house.
How many people get to say they have a carriage house?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:45 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Not many. I really love mine; it IS an honset-to-god-more-than-100-year-old carriage house.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:12 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Hussam - yes, that is exactly what happend to me. The problem is the glass (and only the glass) fell to the ground and shattered. Now, I have increased the level of difficulty by trying to pull out the mounting mechanism. You might call it a self-inflicted wound.
Man.......mine was just hanging off the edge........just barely holding on (the whole glass piece fell off, but one tiny corener was holding it). I was in the fuel station when it happened so no broken pieces......just a quick trip to the mini mart for the super glue......problem solved....kind of funny when thinking of it.

Now, my 944 Turbo passenger size side-view-mirror is also "shaking" alot.......i am going to use that super glue technique again LOL.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Hi Michelle,

Is there a motor in the driver's side mirror for adjustment? I broke off the two little "rack" gears. Glued them back together on Saturday - but I don't think the bond will last. If it does have the motor, maybe you could bring it/them to 944fest. I'll stay in contact on this.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Scott -

Okay, now that this thread seems to be resolved, I'm going to ***** it up with some pictures of what happenend on a recent 1300 mile each-way trip:

Step 1:

results in...
Step 2:

and..
Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5:

Step 6:

Step 7:

Step 8:

Step 9:

and...
Voila!

....God Bless Advance Auto Parts in Kanaway City West Virginia!!!!
(and the store manager who let me borrow the "power scissors"!)

I happen to have a replacement entire mirror assembly from a low mileage, low UV-exposure car, and this one wobbles a bit at the pivot, anyway, so I will be carefully painting and installing the replacement assembly this summer when I touch up the stone chips . . . .

Cheers,

Tony
Old 06-13-2005, 01:51 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tony K
Scott -

Okay, now that this thread seems to be resolved, I'm going to ***** it up with some pictures of what happenend on a recent 1300 mile each-way trip:

Step 1:

results in...
Step 2:

and..
Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5:

Step 6:

Step 7:

Step 8:

Step 9:

and...
Voila!

....God Bless Advance Auto Parts in Kanaway City West Virginia!!!!
(and the store manager who let me borrow the "power scissors"!)

I happen to have a replacement entire mirror assembly from a low mileage, low UV-exposure car, and this one wobbles a bit at the pivot, anyway, so I will be carefully painting and installing the replacement assembly this summer when I touch up the stone chips . . . .

Cheers,

Tony
Great shots..I love photo's!

I wish someone would scan one of these mirrors for me, I could make a template for everyone.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got a direct fit pre-cut replacement from a glass place. They did have to order it (1 day) and the book has the wrong part listed for the 944, but the correct part listed under the 928. It ran like $15.00 and I used silicone to hold it in place. So far it's held up over 5 years.

Quick Reply: Driver's side mirror glass fell out!