Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear fog lights

Odd thing. Went to change a blown rear brake light, and noticed the light sockets for the big innermost lamps on the rear light/indicator panels were empty. Took me a while to find that in the owners manual these are described as the rear fog lights. It even showed a picture of where the rear fog light switch should be on the dash. It would be beside the front fog light switch, which makes sense.

Now, on my car, there is no such rear fog light switch, so I assume that either it was optional equipment, or (more likely) a market-specific feature. My guess is that they might not even be legal in some markets. Anyone actually have these enabled, and where do you live?

I was toying with the idea of wiring them up to be an extra set of brake lights for the rear. Can't have too many brake lights to discourage those SUVs driving over the back of you...

Mostly idle curiosity. I probably have too much time on my hands to be even thinking about this...

-Mark
Old 06-01-2005, 10:23 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 98 Volvo still has a "rear fog" which illuminates the left brake bulb...Must be a European thing, like the parking lights lighting up on on side or the other with the car off and the turn signal stalk engaged to the right or left...
Old 06-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I think they are for ROW cars. I wired mine up to my brake lights.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Are you saying they come on when the brake pedal is depressed? If so, that is 100% illegal and it is just a matter of time before you get pulled over.

Either way, rear fog lights are for ROW only. It is illegal in the US to have white light showing from the rear of the car (this is why it is illegal to have broken or cracked taillights).

You can get the wiring to wire them up correctly (I think IceShark did a write up on how to do it at some point) but why bother?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:18 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The euro rear bright red fog light (singular) was on the drivers side only. Has a faceted reflector to focus the light directly to the rear. IceShark had kits to add in the empty bulbs. You could use them for running lights or brake lights. You can add aux brake lights in most states as long as they are not too bright (blinding).

As the rear running/tail lights in the 944 lenses are somewhat dim I use the fog lights as running lights with a lower watt ratting bulb. Could use them as both with a dual contact base. I found and bought a bunce of bent up tal light backings in a now defunct 944 junk yard years ago.

The 83
Old 06-01-2005, 03:40 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Odd thing. Went to change a blown rear brake light, and noticed the light sockets for the big innermost lamps on the rear light/indicator panels were empty. Took me a while to find that in the owners manual these are described as the rear fog lights. It even showed a picture of where the rear fog light switch should be on the dash. It would be beside the front fog light switch, which makes sense.

Now, on my car, there is no such rear fog light switch, so I assume that either it was optional equipment, or (more likely) a market-specific feature. My guess is that they might not even be legal in some markets. Anyone actually have these enabled, and where do you live?

I was toying with the idea of wiring them up to be an extra set of brake lights for the rear. Can't have too many brake lights to discourage those SUVs driving over the back of you...

Mostly idle curiosity. I probably have too much time on my hands to be even thinking about this...

-Mark
Mark, I'm familiar with the OZ market cars from the bulb project I did a few years ago as I sold some stuff to people down under. Those inboard two cells, that are actually one cell, are usually dead in OZ cars. In North America they are the brake lights and the lower center cell that is a brake light on your car is dead. In Europe they lit up the inboard cells as fogs.

So you can do whatever you want on rearanging but I would turn the inboard cells into brake lights. And stick in some 35 watt halogen bulbs in them. SUVs will notice you when you hit the brakes, no problem.

I'm not doing the upgrades anymore as not many additional people want it.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt H
Are you saying they come on when the brake pedal is depressed? If so, that is 100% illegal and it is just a matter of time before you get pulled over.

Either way, rear fog lights are for ROW only. It is illegal in the US to have white light showing from the rear of the car (this is why it is illegal to have broken or cracked taillights).

You can get the wiring to wire them up correctly (I think IceShark did a write up on how to do it at some point) but why bother?

They are red.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:49 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark
Rear fogs are very common here. My old Hyundai Exel had a fog light on the drivers side rear. Took me about six months to figure out how to turn it off!!!
But they sure make you easy to see in the dark!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beeg
Mark
Rear fogs are very common here. My old Hyundai Exel had a fog light on the drivers side rear. Took me about six months to figure out how to turn it off!!!
But they sure make you easy to see in the dark!
What colour was the rear fog light, and where was is located? I'm wondering whether the 944-style rear fogs aren't compliant here because they could be confused with brake lights..

-Mark
Old 06-01-2005, 11:04 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mate
It was a bright white!
People used to ask me ' what the hell is the light at the back?' my reply (till I found out how to turn it off ) ' stuffed if i know'.
Check out an Exel.
It's in the rear bumper.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:34 PM
aribop
Race Car

Beeg, when you hit the brakes, which lights come on?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:44 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aribop
Beeg, when you hit the brakes, which lights come on?
What? You think I have a rubber neck?
I'll get someone to check me tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:25 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

A lot of cars sold in the U.S. have rear fog lights. They are so other cars can see you as they approach you from behind in poor visibility conditions. They are all red, and are roughly the same brightness as brake lights.

Some such U.S.-spec vehicles, off the top of my head, include Alfa Romeo 164 models, Land Rovers, Jaguars, Oldsmobile Aurora. Ferrari 400i was imported available with factory rear fog in U.S., too.

Mark - I have the rear fog light switch in my car. I bougt it from Gabe at Strasse for around $50. Had to import it from Germany. I discovered the usefulness of rear fogs several years ago when I was driving in misty windy rain and there was so much splash around that you really couldn't see other cars. I have yet to add the lights in the back of my car. For now, my rear fog switch allows me to disable the front *driving* lights I installed, so I don't always have to have them on with the high beams.

The rear fog light switch for the 944 has an amber LED instead of a green one, and the lamp icon faces the other direction, with a different pattern of squiggly lines coming from it, FWIW.

EDIT: Also, white auxiliary lights in the back of a car are to aid in visibility when backing up. If you have ever found yourself in a dark, unfamiliar place and had to get out of the car to make sure you weren't going to back into anything, then you have witnessed the usefulness for such items. They are more common in rural areas and among vehicles that travel in the wilderness.

Cheers,

Tony
Old 06-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

hey guys I've noticed this on an SLK once with the running light on. Why do they only put it on the driver side? is it to warn other drivers of a car on the side of the road?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:40 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Uh, my guess would be so driver's don't confuse it with brake lights....?

Quick Reply: Rear fog lights