Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another parking wound caught on tape!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005 | 01:10 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Default Another parking wound caught on tape!!

Not really... but I wish. OK, so a few weeks ago I parked my car on an almost non-existant incline behind a ford explorer. I ran into a store forgetting to leave the car in gear or engage the parking brake. My car slowly rolled under the explorer and ruined the nose panel. I plan on getting it fixed.... Luckily I didnt get it fixed yet... Last night/this morning I parked behind a land rover. I parked as far back from it as I could from it without being in the fire hydrant zone. When I came out to the car today, the land rover was gone, and my nose panel is even more destroyed!!! He/she obviously backed up until the rover sat ontop of my car, and then pulled out. I am now totally pissed off. I always try to park so that there is no reason for another car to get near the front of my car.
I do have an idea for when I absolutely have to park behind a truck/suv. Should I carry a stack of cards/flyers that say "Please be careful of the car behind you" I may also add that they are being recorded, or my car is equipped with a video recorder. Nowadays its very believable that a car could be recording activity infront of it while parked. Do you think this would deter the average careless person or average a-hole? Any better ideas than always garaging the car? Thanks!!
Old 05-31-2005 | 01:51 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

i wonder what the person thought when they parked way in front of you and you hit them anyway.

i never leave my car running and get out of it.

sure, get a video recorder, "book 'em danno".

Old 05-31-2005 | 02:01 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Most people don't care and will get away with whatever they can!!
Some honestly don't know the hit the vehicle...they may have thought they were up against a curb.

Here is your card. If you actually go to print these email me and I will get you a print ready file. I like the idea. Porsche should hand them out to 911 etc owners...or Porsche club should.

Last edited by testarossa_td; 06-07-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2005 | 02:05 PM
ApexCars
Pro

Good sign but surveillance is misspelled.
Old 05-31-2005 | 02:14 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

The first time was my fault, which would have been nothing if it were a regular car infront of me. It was probably a 1mph impact to my nose panel against the bottom of the explorers bumper. The question is to avoid people backing their SUV onto my hood, as what happened today.
Would you notice/read a card stuck in your door handle or wiper that asked you to be careful of the car behind you? Would it be more motivation if you thought your suv was being taped by the car behind you?
Old 05-31-2005 | 02:14 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Hey, thanks testarossa!
Old 05-31-2005 | 02:35 PM
Chase72
Racer

IF you are feeling suspicious, take down the SUV's license number before you leave your car. Then you can report a "hit and run" if he/she does run over your header panel.
Old 05-31-2005 | 02:36 PM
Chase72
Racer

Mello: do you have a pic of the header panel damage?
Old 05-31-2005 | 02:44 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Testarossa, I PMd you.
I will take a picture of the damage right now, and upload it in about 10 min.
Old 05-31-2005 | 02:47 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Dude, my wife and I were out of town last weekend, she left her car at the airport, when she came to pick it up there was the most hideous door dent you have ever seen, paint damage down to the bare metal (not even sure how they did it). I have to take it this weekend for repair, 500+ dollars. GD people have no respect.
Old 05-31-2005 | 02:53 PM
Chase72
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt H
Dude, my wife and I were out of town last weekend, she left her car at the airport, when she came to pick it up there was the most hideous door dent you have ever seen, paint damage down to the bare metal (not even sure how they did it). I have to take it this weekend for repair, 500+ dollars. GD people have no respect.
Agreed. Same thing happened to me a few months ago at work--lots of bastards running loose.
Old 05-31-2005 | 03:02 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Default I like the idea of the card

If you fix the mispell, I 'll happily print some up. Here in Philly, poeple will not hesitate to take off after hitting you, and parking by feel is the norm. I personlly would like to feel I at least tried something. Here most of us parrallel park, so you have no control over how close car s park to you.

As an aside, I've seen poeple in SUV's pushing on toehr vehicles in parking spaces to get room to get in or out. Once even saw a woman pushing against a small tree on the sidewalk to get into a space, thinking it was the car behind her.

Heybiff
heybiff@heybiff[SPAM].com <--remove [SPAM]
Old 05-31-2005 | 03:06 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

matt, did that happen to her new bmw?
Old 05-31-2005 | 03:07 PM
Mello
Rennlist Member

The vertical line is the damage from 3 weeks ago, as well as the actual dent. Todays damage is the horizontal line of missing paint.
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2005 | 03:21 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Devon, of course it did.

Mello, you have craptastic luck. I feel for you, really. That blows.

Quick Reply: Another parking wound caught on tape!!