Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner fender rust fix! all owners read this....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Inner fender rust fix! all owners read this....

So this all started when Andy, Nathan and I ripped the fenders off my car after the accident, and I noticed this rust in the back where the fenders bolt on. Andy said that this is VERY common on 944s and it will prove to be a problem for some of them in years to come. It is osmehting that we should start addressing. So I figured while I fixed mine I would show everyone else the way, so that I can help possibly save some 944s.
1 Remove both fenders, there are alot of bolts along the top, and 3 bolts inside, and one down below. If the fenders have never been off you will have alot fo adhesive to scrape, but it is not hard with a good screwdriver or something.

2. Locate the rusted areas...

Mine were not too bad, if yours are much worse you may consider welding in some new metal, or taking it to someone who knows better...

3. Get out your tools...
I used:
one wire brush, one paint stripper drill attachment, and some assorted wire brush drill attachments.

4. Sand until completely down to metal, and all rust is GONE! ( this one is only partially there)

5. Coat with your favorite rust stopper, some would suggest POR15, I just went with some cheaper autozone stuff....

6. Let that dry overnight.....

7. MASK THE CAR, and Prime it...

8. Coat it with rubber Undercoating, I like the 3M stuff....

Doesn't that look better?

This is a fix that EVERYONE should check to see if they need to do. If this rust gets too bad it will be the end of our cars. I think that it is actually a designing flaw the way the water must drain down into that little corner of the fender well. Please everyone take your fenders off and fix this NOW.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:12 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found the same thing in my 83', she's all better now.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rust repairs suck. Why not use just something like POR-15 - it would save you all the trouble of sanding and grinding and stuff?
Old 05-30-2005, 06:20 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job on the write up. I prefer to sandblast. Then etch the metal. Then prime.

Quick Reply: Inner fender rust fix! all owners read this....