Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dissapointed by a Mini ot??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005 | 06:02 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

In any case, 944 forums are way superior the BMW forums. BMW forums are inferior by design.
:-)
Old 08-02-2005 | 06:14 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris luckett
Is there a BMW forum out there where one can find good technical discussion without all the bling on most of the forums I've found? I thinking about an E46.
I've checked out a few bmw forums (bimmerforums, dtm, pelican, roadfly, e30tech, r3vlimited, etc) and don't post on any of them. There are some very insightful people but that is greatly overshadowed by the idiots. I merely check classifieds.

Just RL and Pelican 911 for now. God I wish there was an e30 forum like the Pelican parts 911 technical one!
Old 08-02-2005 | 06:26 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris luckett
Is there a BMW forum out there where one can find good technical discussion without all the bling on most of the forums I've found? I thinking about an E46.
I'll be careful here so I don't get tossed off any of the 3 BMW forums I lurk in. I have received very little really good technical support except maybe on the Pelican BMW boards. There are knowledgable people on all the boards but the level of assistance is quite limited. The LEAST knowledgable people seem to just lay in wait until some incredibly bonehead statement is made. At least on Rennlist when someone asks a really dumb question the first few responses are usually kind and try to steer them to "search" or inform them that question has been beat to death.

On one of the BMW Forums a recent question went something like this "What are the largest 18" wheels I can fit on my 318i?
1st response: "Get your d$ck out of your Fu^^ing Ear Moron"
2nd response: What are you retarded or something?
3rd response: Gee, Thanks for the help!

There are some really good technically inclined people there but the information isn't as freely exchanged as here. Maybe it will get better, I'm glad I'm no virgin to car repairs in general or I would waiting a very long time for good answers over there. My Bentley manual is my best BMW buddy!
Old 08-02-2005 | 07:09 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

E30's had a trailing arm rear suspension not too different from a 944's.

E36's went to a multi-link rear suspension but still macpherson strut front suspension.

An E36 doesn't really handle better than a 944. What it does do is handle that well with a great ride. In the end, E36 track cars do many of the same things that 944 track cars do to upgrade their suspensions.

The real magic with BMW's is in their bushings and how they combine spring and damper rates to get great handling with a great ride.

On a related note, tossing around an E30 M3 at the track is an absolute blast. To me, it's not unlike driving a 944 N/A at the track. Similar power to weight ratios. Similar suspensions. The ability to put the car anywhere you want on the track in any corner, the ability to dance at the limits of adhesion at will, and the sheer fun of it all.... just a great time.

Quick Reply: Dissapointed by a Mini ot??