Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dissapointed by a Mini ot??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005 | 02:38 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Is there a way of saying "your opinion is wrong" without sounding arrogant? JK
Old 05-30-2005 | 02:39 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Ummm...I think so...

I think it goes something like

"I don't mean to sound arrogant, but you're f'n wrong ***..."

did that work?

Anyway, here's my reasoning for the 924S feeling better on the track...
-It's MUCH lighter than the M3, and the turn in and cornering feel much more predictable. you can apex easily, and just all out have a ball.

M3 is incredibly powerful, does handle well, (I"m not saying it doesn't, just IMHO the Porsches are favored) but it's just not as "tossable" as the 924S.

the Turbo, it is noticably heavier on the track. However, once again, it's the predictability of the car. also, it's very powerful as well, and the power delivery is smooth, and it's just all around great. very well balanced.

The M3, the engine and trans are both in the front and doesn't feel as balanced as the 924S and 951S.
Old 05-30-2005 | 03:00 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Originally Posted by Burma Shave
New Minis are known for lack of power and poor handling, especially the S model. Maybe you should consider D.E?
Poor handling, huh? Care to quote anybody? I'd say the opposite.

Unless that was sarcasm.. sorry, I wasn't sure.
I'll give you the power bit. 167 ain't exactly pulling stumps. But thru the twisties we've got Boxster S numbers.
Old 05-30-2005 | 03:06 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Agree. Dan's wife ran the mini in green at mid-ohio and it did just fine. Save for all the blarg holes that attempted to be mad at her. Dan knows what I am talking about.
Old 05-30-2005 | 03:09 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Umm.. she was the slowest in the group, but I don't think it had much to do with the car. Thanks for remembering, gator! Do you think she really pissed some D groupers off? I would have thought the only way to do it was to pass them! It is power deprived yet I matched well driven Boxster S numbers at a local PCA autocross.
Old 05-30-2005 | 03:14 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Remember she was talking to me about how she thought people were mad. I was like whatever, f them. People were being so gay. I think the guy in the z-06 was mad because I passed him without a point by when I got sick of his garbage and came out of the last turn at his door handle....Bah! I might flying up for the fest. I have to talk to travis and matt. I have 4 day weekends all summer..... Or I might go crazy and put new control arms on my pile and store it up there to do a track day at the mid.
Old 05-30-2005 | 03:15 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

I'll put money on me being able to own most of the guys with 944s at mid ohio with S. It is not horribly slow at all...
Old 05-30-2005 | 03:25 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Thanks for the support, G. Yes, I remember what you mean. She was a little concerned. I've had the Mini out on Mid-oh and it is a 2 minute/plus car, and that is sliding the street rubber all over the place. My turbo runs 13 seconds faster than that, on Hoosiers. The power is just a huge dissadvantage. the N/A 944s might find a worthy match there, it all depends. I know I don't want to go out in A group in the Mini anymore. Just like the sig says, it is an Autocrossser!

It would be great to see ya at the fest. This is going to be quite an affair, I don't think I can keep up this pace. 2005 will be remembered as THE Grand Fest, me thinks..
Old 05-30-2005 | 03:25 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Burma Shave: as far as driving school goes, everyone can use it, but I'm pretty confident of my ability (and I know I'm no Ayrton) and this section of road was not technical by any means. I had my foot in it the whole time except for the last corner where I lifted to about 2/3 throttle. Anyway I didn't feel like putting my *** in a ditch because my chutzpah got the better of me.

Anyway, I think 16 year old rubber bushings should be replaced as they gave a unsettling feeling.
Old 05-30-2005 | 03:38 AM
ApexCars
Pro

Remember, not all minis are stock either.
Old 05-30-2005 | 09:20 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
Poor handling, huh? Care to quote anybody? I'd say the opposite.

Unless that was sarcasm.. sorry, I wasn't sure.
I'll give you the power bit. 167 ain't exactly pulling stumps. But thru the twisties we've got Boxster S numbers.
It was sarcasm...I drove one last year, absolute blast. Very nimble, gocart like. Just trying to add some humor.
Old 05-30-2005 | 09:23 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
Burma Shave: as far as driving school goes, everyone can use it, but I'm pretty confident of my ability (and I know I'm no Ayrton) and this section of road was not technical by any means. I had my foot in it the whole time except for the last corner where I lifted to about 2/3 throttle. Anyway I didn't feel like putting my *** in a ditch because my chutzpah got the better of me.

Anyway, I think 16 year old rubber bushings should be replaced as they gave a unsettling feeling.
I was just kidding. Its no surprise the mini hung in through the twisties.
Old 05-30-2005 | 09:31 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Ummm...I think so...

I think it goes something like

"I don't mean to sound arrogant, but you're f'n wrong ***..."

did that work?

Anyway, here's my reasoning for the 924S feeling better on the track...
-It's MUCH lighter than the M3, and the turn in and cornering feel much more predictable. you can apex easily, and just all out have a ball.

M3 is incredibly powerful, does handle well, (I"m not saying it doesn't, just IMHO the Porsches are favored) but it's just not as "tossable" as the 924S.

the Turbo, it is noticably heavier on the track. However, once again, it's the predictability of the car. also, it's very powerful as well, and the power delivery is smooth, and it's just all around great. very well balanced.

The M3, the engine and trans are both in the front and doesn't feel as balanced as the 924S and 951S.
What I failed to mention earlier, the m3 is incredibly compliant. You can throw the roughest roads at it and it won't squint. All while handling incredibly well. For a 944 to achieve this level of handling, the spring rates have to be increased (the downside of macpherson struts). Also, the single controls have nothing on a upper and lower setup. As the car leans, the shorter control arm "pulls" on the wheel, therefore generating more camber. Do a search on suspensions, there are other sources who can explain it much better.

It's nothing to be ashamed of - the 944 handles incredibly well. It's just inferior by design.
Old 05-30-2005 | 10:15 AM
pikey7
Drifting

Well, I owned an old mini for a few years, and IMHO, this POS with a mini badge on from BMW doesn't deserve it. It may be good, it may not be. I don't care. IT'S NOT A REAL MINI!!!!!
Old 05-30-2005 | 01:24 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Serge944
What I failed to mention earlier, the m3 is incredibly compliant. You can throw the roughest roads at it and it won't squint. All while handling incredibly well. For a 944 to achieve this level of handling, the spring rates have to be increased (the downside of macpherson struts). Also, the single controls have nothing on a upper and lower setup. As the car leans, the shorter control arm "pulls" on the wheel, therefore generating more camber. Do a search on suspensions, there are other sources who can explain it much better.

It's nothing to be ashamed of - the 944 handles incredibly well. It's just inferior by design.
I still prefer the handling of the 944 better and I can say that having lots of drive time in both cars in both stock and moddified form. The E36M3 just doesn't communicate to the driver what the rear end is doing. Then when the back end does go out it does so extremely fast in comparison to a 944.. (less polar weight) The E36M3 endlinks on the swaybars are also compleate CRAP! They deflect like half moons under hard cornering. You can fix the problem with moddified endlinks but in the rear if you plan on moddifying the swaybar/endlinks you better be welding in reinforcement tabs.

Quick Reply: Dissapointed by a Mini ot??