Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove an '05 Acura RSX-S (not really off topic)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh sure, I agree there. Like I said, at 6'5" and not over weight I have a hard time fitting in asian vehicles drivers' seats. Sure I am above average height, but that doesn't go very far in explaining why I DO fit in most european cars I have driven and not asian cars. They asian cars, if fitted with sporty seats, tend to bind and I can't put the seat back far enough to be comfortable.

Hell, I can't even put the seat back all the way in my 924S because if I did I wouldn't be able to reach the pedals.

Actually, from statistics I have seen recently we are not really that much heavier than a lot of Europeans, especially UK and a lot of Western Europe. Apparently they have discovered the wonder of supersizing.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the Fat Bastard's Club, I'm a member. As for getting in shape, I'm doing a marathon in Anchorage in 3 weeks. Who wants to join me? I'm already signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon on Halloween. I'll be running an ultra-marathon (50k - 31miles) in December. And I'll be running a marathon again on New Year's Day. Again, who's with me? Don't confuse size with being in or out of shape. I know a lot of anorexic runts that are woefully out of shape too. Of course, when I'm not unjured (I was just cleared to run again - recovering from my second stress fracture) I do lose weight. My goal is to lose 85 lbs from the day I decided to run a marathon (I've already run one full and one half).

As for Japanese cars, while I'm not much of a fan of Honduhs (I've owned a CRX and an Integra) I certainly respect them. It doesn't take much to make a Civic a formidable foe on the track and capable of embarassing most NA 944s. They have to be done right of course, but it's much easier to do with a Civic than a 944 which shocked the hell out of me when I bought the 944.

Interestingly enough about the Skyline GTR being sold as an Infiniti world-wide, I know that in Japan they sell Inifiiti badges for people with cars sold as Infinitis in North America (Infiniti is currently a North America only brand).

As for the 240SX, drive one with a SR20DET and you'll have some SERIOUS respect. They are easier to make power with than a 951 and the engine is MUCH more refined. Sacrilege you say? Sorry guys, it's true. That car should have been sold in the US with the SR20DET instead of the KA24DE truck engine. Shoot that car would be serious cult classic. As it is, it's hard to find a good quality 240SX for a decent price anymore because so many people are doing the swap.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I find 240sx at the auctions all the time for less than $1.5k in good condition. They drive well and I agree with you that they are definitely one of the better cars. Congratulations on the marathons. I stopped running them 8 years ago when my left knee started to give me problems. I guess skiing moguls, 10 marathons, along with lots of 10k races took their toll.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:12 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

4,000 rpms in a GS-R/RSX is nothing. The vtec engine is based on their open wheeled racing engines which is why its geared to run 9,000 rpms all day and twice on Sundays. Yeah theres absolutely no torque, but when you get above 5,000rpms everyone thinks your engine has nothing left because of the high revs and the damn engine just keeps going and going. Its a hell of a note at 8500rpms as I use to flog my 92 GS-R.

But I agree comparing a 944 to an RSX is a comparison of two vastly different cars and different schools of thought and difference purposes and price points. That said, Acuras are built like swiss watches and are quicker than a 944. Liking the 944 better is perfectly ok, as long as we all agree other than the autocross circuit, the Acura has the advantage of 20yrs of engineering progress and shows it in 98% of the driving we do.

If I had two cars in the garage and had to drive from Detroit to Memphis, Id pick the Acura 10 times out of 10 because its newer, more comfy, and all the rest. I think a 944 would make a much better autocross/weekender with more thrills per mile while at a more cost per mile. Ahh yes, always a tradeoff.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:47 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pissed last year when I got jumped off a light by a one of those 270 HP Acura sedans. Couldn't reel him in before we ran out of clear road. I both respect and hate Acuras.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:39 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm planning on (hopefully) buying a 1990 Acura Legend coupe in a few days to use for commuting to and from college. I'm sure glad I found this thread, i'm definitely a lot less worried about the already 170,000 miles on the car now and know what to expect from it It's a 5 speed too, should be a fun, fast and comfortable way to spend my five hour drives when I have to endure them.

_______
Pat
86 944
Old 05-30-2005, 02:32 AM
Boricua944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the 05 TSX's friend just bought one havnt ridden in it yet. How would they hold up with early 944's on the track?
Old 05-30-2005, 02:39 AM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
I'm planning on (hopefully) buying a 1990 Acura Legend coupe in a few days to use for commuting to and from college. I'm sure glad I found this thread, i'm definitely a lot less worried about the already 170,000 miles on the car now and know what to expect from it It's a 5 speed too, should be a fun, fast and comfortable way to spend my five hour drives when I have to endure them.

_______
Pat
86 944
Pete944 just bought a pooch like this. Legend 5spd, though a sedan. I forget what he said he paid but it was peanuts. Looked real good from what I saw of it. Acuras will run forever basically if you do routine maintenance which isnt that expensive. My GS-Rs 60K service was $600. Cant complain about that.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I can think of to watch out for on these cars is rust. Every Honda/Acura from the early to mid 90s I have seen up north has some rust. Usually right behind the rear wheel openings right above where the bumper meets the body. Also around the gas filler door.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:09 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Boricua944
What about the 05 TSX's friend just bought one havnt ridden in it yet. How would they hold up with early 944's on the track?
my wife's tsx is a nice cruiser and we use it for our family / long distance driving car...it gets decent gas mileage but takes premium...impressively it can pull up the steepest mountains in 6th gear (just leave on the cruise) even slightly below 2000rpms

as for tracking it...not worth it as fwd and 3300lbs + makes for quite nasty torque steer and worn down front tires...i know realtime races them quite successfully in the speed world challenge series but there's just a point where fwd and engine size/power just don't work in concert anymore (that's why i grabbed myself my 1st porsche to learn and enjoy)...plus any porsche was built with speed or racing at the track in mind more so than i'd say your typical honda (nsx, s2000, ITR, or CTR aside)

those that say hondas don't make torque tells of a misconception...it's where in the rev band an engine makes torque...where my 944 makes great low end torque and good mid range torque it runs out of breath - but a V -TECH yO! HoNdA engine (gotta get my kicks in making fun of ricers) keeps on going all the way to redline and most impressively will run reliable for a long time...like the s2000 doesn't have a lot of torque off idle it still is faster on a track than a boxster (which makes more down low torque and is of similar weight)
Old 05-30-2005, 04:20 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
those that say hondas don't make torque tells of a misconception...it's where in the rev band an engine makes torque...where my 944 makes great low end torque and good mid range torque it runs out of breath - but a V -TECH yO! HoNdA engine (gotta get my kicks in making fun of ricers) keeps on going all the way to redline and most impressively will run reliable for a long time...like the s2000 doesn't have a lot of torque off idle it still is faster on a track than a boxster (which makes more down low torque and is of similar weight)
Problem with high-revving engines (like the one in the RSX-S) is that to me, running around with a screaming engine (and exhaust) gets ANNOYING, unless you are on the track, or making believe you are! When I'm driving home from dinner late at night, I don't wanna hear a roaring buzzy engine! At least the 944 has a usable 5th gear for going 75 in relative quiet.

My '87 Integra was a MUCH better car than the RSX as far as engine sound and exhaust tone! I could barely hear the engine in the RSX with the exhaust sound and road noise going on! The salesman even said it: these RSX's and the Subaru equivalent are made for teen agers who like to buzz around the city streets. I'm not one of those.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:48 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
The salesman even said it: these RSX's and the Subaru equivalent are made for teen agers who like to buzz around the city streets.
Fat bastard teenagers, no less!

You guys are missing the point. You might as well compare SUV's to Porsches. We all have our basic needs and wants when it comes to cars. I don't think I would buy any car other than German or Italian. To me no other cars have the same feel. Sure some are faster, more reliable, more comfortable, etc. but all of that is secondary. If a car doesn't possess that magical feeling when you push it through a corner, then forget it. And for me, anything else is unforgiveable. That is why Porsches are so great--every single one of them from the first 356 to the last Cayenne (gulp!) is something special which no other car comes close too. Now if you want a car for your fat *** or one that you can drive 300,000 miles and only replace one spark plug, then by all means get what will make you happy. But if you want something which makes your entire body and mind happy, stick with the Germans & Italians.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:31 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf
Fat bastard teenagers, no less!

But if you want something which makes your entire body and mind happy, stick with the Germans & Italians.
I agree with this statement! You can argue BMW, vs MB, vs Porsche, vs Ferrari...but there are no "losers" in this group if you want feel, and a driver's car.

And, IMHO, no front-drive Japanese car can feel like a rear drive German sports car.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:08 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by superloaf
If a car doesn't possess that magical feeling when you push it through a corner, then forget it.
Most people dont need or care about what a car can do in the corner when they are stuck in a 2hr backup on the interstate or need to go get groceries and haul their two kids in the back seat in baby seats.

Point being, a Porsche is a finite tool. Its good at what it does, but it doesnt do much else. For 99% of the people on the road and in 99% of all driving conditions nobody cares one lick about what a car can do in the corner. And most people would honestly prefer FWD to RWD. It goes better in the snow. People want to go in the snow more than want to take a corner at high speed and feel "exhilarated". If they want to feel exilherated they bang their spouse. Im just telling you what most people want. Rennlist is a community of the ABNORMAL. Regular folks want to drive a safe, comfortable, peppy, good looking car at a good price. That really is all you need to know and why Acura builds an RSX. Because more people want to drive an RSX than a 944 -- or really any other Porsche for that matter. Might sound trite, but most people couldnt give a crap about Porsches and have absolutely no desire to ever own one. The majority of people have a lot of other things in their life deemed more important than spending it enjoying something that costs thousands and in which they only spend 30 minutes a day in.

At times I consider myself a regular folk myself. The last thing on my mind when Im schlepping to work is how much fun the drive will be.

Theres a car for every purpose. Acura caters to the mass wants and needs. Porsche caters to a small group of enthusiasts and nothing more. Comparing the two is just ridiculous and neither is better or worse than the other.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:01 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

You forgot \rant on\ and \rant off\!

Quick Reply: Test drove an '05 Acura RSX-S (not really off topic)