Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924S Euro-ized Front

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 10:24 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manning, I've never dissected the harness to the foglamps; it just fits! You got the picture about the 100W being ONLY high beam linked, and the other bulb being what is called a "parking light" in Western European markets. These are on to illuminate nearby hazards, or so I've been told, when parking in the city.
The harness plug has three prongs, each perpendicular to the previous, one at 90, 180, and 270 degrees (arbitrarily not at 360).
Again, I could take some pics, but it's pretty trivial... I mean, it's not trivial when it's being a PITA, but it is when it works!
Old 05-26-2005, 10:59 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manning - I've been thinking a little about this: Do you think we'll have problems with the stock harness with 100WH3 bulbs in there? I've heard the old stories about people frying the headligh harness with 90/100W, and the head light harness is for sure more heavy duty.

I'm sure IceShark could help us out with this one. I actually have his headlight kit and i think there is a power supply off of that i may use instead. I don't have much time to do this right now, just thinking out loud i guess.

Let me know what you think,
Erich
Old 05-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not putting 100W bulbs in them. 50W max. The Iceshark headlight kit is plenty of light at night so the foglamps on my car will only function for the sake of functioning.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:04 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Fair enough.
A lot of my commuting driving happens around dusk.
That time is well suited to using the 100W fogs; they illuminate the upcoming potholes and cracks to avoid, while not pulling the current of the H4 Euros.
I use the 100W bulbs a LOT.

By the way, I see you were married in March. Congrats! I wish you the best for that first year. It can be tricky, or just great - don't be surprised by anything in between!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:18 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Manning - That's a good idea. I was thinking 100W would be blinding with the IceShark 90/100's. I wasn't aware there were many wattages out there for the H3's.

And Jake made a good point - Congrat's on getting married, as i approach the end of year one of marriage i wish you the best of luck. Also i think maybe your weight savings numbers in your signature need to reflect the married option

Erich
Old 05-26-2005, 12:23 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

No kidding, I'm +25 pounds since marriage!
Old 05-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to go with something really bright in mine. I also want to keep my fogs. What could I splice into to wire up the driving lights? and what kind of switch or switches should I use? I assume, on the three wires, one is the parking beam, one is the driving beam, and one is a ground. I do have the wirign harnesses that come off the lights, I will snap some pics. Just still trying to decide where to splice them in, or how to wire them. I want to run the brightest bulbs I possibly can, as I will most likely be converting the car to the non popup headlights, and I want to be able to drive with mostly just the driving lights.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, thanks for the congrats on our recent marriage. We have actually been living together for 5 years and have owned a house together for almost 4 years so nothing much changed other than our tax status.

FWIW, I ran a set of Hella fog lights under the bumper for a while and had 100W H3s in them for some of that time and they were just stupid bright. I removed them around the time I installed the Iceshark full boat kit. I think if I lived in a more rural environment I would consider going 100W, but there are very few times when I can even use my high beams, let alone a set of intense driving lights.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:41 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Manning
Expert? Ha-ha, you flatter me.

Actually I have poked around a lot under the dash and under the bumper and found basically that Porsche used a standard wiring harness with all the optional tie in points regardless of what options were actually installed on the car. So, behind the center console you will find a connector for a fog light switch, and under the dash below the right side of the gauge cluster you will find a socket for a relay for the fog lights. You will also notice that there is a switch blank on the left side of the center console near the cigarette lighter into which the fog light switch can be mounted. Finally, if you look under the bumper you will find pairs of wires on each side of the car sprouting out of the lighting harness (near the corner lights) for the fog lights. The idea is to tie into this system for the driving lights.

Just a note, the switch blank comes out from the back. It does not pry out from the front of the console.
Hey Manning - I've got the bulbs in, the wires all set on the lights, the fog light switch installed. Now i've been looking for the fog light relay under the dash...I have looked under the dash from the foot-wheel with no luck. Do i need to remove the gauge pod to find the location for the relay? Or can i find it without removal? Do you have a picture of where exactly the relay is located?

Thanks Manning!
Erich
Old 06-23-2005, 12:41 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

It should just be a relay base hanging on a set of wire. It isn't mounted to a hard point like the main relay panel. It may be tucked up under/over some part of the rest of the under dash harness.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

That front looks very nice. And thanks for posting the info on the part numbers. I've been looking for a set of these for a couple years.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:19 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Manning I'll take a look again tonight. I'll let you know what i find...
Erich

Quick Reply: 924S Euro-ized Front