Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924S Euro-ized Front

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:23 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-24-2005, 11:50 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ErichCS
Thanks for the nice remarks. I believe you can buy just the lenses from porsche, as there is a seperate part number for them. But you might as well buy the full lights since they are not that much more im sure.

In terms of the wiring, i have yet to finish that part. Manning is the expert on that and he has given me a lot of info on it. My little summary is i need a factory switch, relay and 3 plug connector for the back of the driving light. On the 924S there is wiring on the lighting harness for the factory fog lights that were optional that i'm going to use. So it should be plug and play. I really just wanted to get the lights on to fill up the holes on the bumper, when i get the additional parts i will see how it all works.

Hope that helps!
Erich
Expert? Ha-ha, you flatter me.

Actually I have poked around a lot under the dash and under the bumper and found basically that Porsche used a standard wiring harness with all the optional tie in points regardless of what options were actually installed on the car. So, behind the center console you will find a connector for a fog light switch, and under the dash below the right side of the gauge cluster you will find a socket for a relay for the fog lights. You will also notice that there is a switch blank on the left side of the center console near the cigarette lighter into which the fog light switch can be mounted. Finally, if you look under the bumper you will find pairs of wires on each side of the car sprouting out of the lighting harness (near the corner lights) for the fog lights. The idea is to tie into this system for the driving lights.

Just a note, the switch blank comes out from the back. It does not pry out from the front of the console.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:58 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Manning - You are the expert on this. You did educate me about this stuf, not that either of us have finished the project but in theory it sounds nice and it should work

Now that i have most of the parts, my last question is what did you do for the 2 wire fog light harness to the 3 wire driving light plug? This seems to be the last stumbling block before i can actually turn these lights on.

Thanks for all your help!
Erich
Old 05-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nothing yet. I need to see if I can find an amp connector that fits or see if somebody has a set out a a parted car. I don't think I am going to worry about illuminating the city light lamp (the small bulb in the side of the reflector) so I really only need a 2 wire plug.

I haven't been working on it much because I switched gears to get the sunroof completely sorted since the bumpers and sunroof all need paint, so I figured I'd get them all done at once. And since I last was messing with it I got married and my wife decided this is the year to redo our kitchen. Figure out what that means. I'll give you a hint, right now there is a $2300 range sitting in our dining room and unpainted bumpers in my basement.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:11 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's my 1981 Euro 931. I need to show my pride you know..
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2005, 11:19 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Sweet looking euro 931!

I think these cars look much better with the euro nose.

Erich
Old 05-25-2005, 11:52 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Erich, I have the aluminum version of the Euro front bumper.
Regardless, I have the bugger wired up "correctly" on my Euro, and those are only on with the high beam switch. So, if you want them on without the regular H4s, then you just pull the high beam switch with the headlight switch in the half way position (fog lights). Does that make sense?
If pictures would help, I could try to get some for you over the weekend.

...poor manning is probably sick of this damn bumper of mine!
Old 05-25-2005, 12:51 PM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Thankx ErichCS,

saw your gallery. Your car looks great too. Very nice paint.
What happened to your US bumper ?
Old 05-25-2005, 04:18 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Jake - thanks for the info!

It's sitting in my garage in the box the new one came it. It'll prolly just stay there until someone needs a bumper on here....
Old 05-25-2005, 04:45 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jake, was your car converted in Holland also? Did they do a butcher job like on my car? If you have more pics I would love to see them.
Albert
Old 05-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 97xray
Erich, I have the aluminum version of the Euro front bumper.
Regardless, I have the bugger wired up "correctly" on my Euro, and those are only on with the high beam switch. So, if you want them on without the regular H4s, then you just pull the high beam switch with the headlight switch in the half way position (fog lights). Does that make sense?
If pictures would help, I could try to get some for you over the weekend.

...poor manning is probably sick of this damn bumper of mine!
I'm cornfused. When you say they are only on with the highbeams, are you referring to the lights on your car or the "fog light" version on the US spec cars?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:04 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manning, did you catch my comment at the end there?
Anyway, it IS confusing.
I'm trying to explain the way that the two different bulbs are activated.
see [crappy] pics in this old post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=euro+light
Old 05-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I caught it. Actually I'm sick of not having mine done yet after something like 4 or 5 years.

So the city light comes on with the low beams and the H3 comes on with the high beams? Or does the H3 have high and low functions? I don't recall this being the case with H3 bulbs and it is kind of hard to tell in your pictures.

Again, like I said, I only plan to wire the the H3 into the fog light circuit for now. Maybe later I'll worry about the city light. I don't recall what puts voltage to the lights on the US spec cars "fog lights" but I think they only come on with low beams.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:35 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Great pics jake in that other thread.

Manning - I just took a closer look at my lights to clarify your questions. It appears there are two sockets for bulbs in the lense. One obviously being the H3 100W bulb and the other is closer to the center of the car and looks much smaller, approx the size of the standard tail light bulb and underhood light if i has to guess.

Also, if we wire the lights as we have both been talking the driving lights will come on with the low beams just like the US fogs.

Later!
Erich
Old 05-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, that is what I was hoping/assuming. I already knew about the lamps. A set came with the bumper I have. I just need a new reflector for one of the assemblies as one of them has gone a bit dull. I'll probably just buy an entire new assembly. Like has been stated, the H3 is the actual "driving" lamp and the other little one is called a city light or parking light.

Quick Reply: 924S Euro-ized Front