Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got an uneasy feeling about this...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Tom my best friend has a GTO. He bought it before the deep discounts and got screwed by GM. Anyway though, GREAT automobile. I'd love to own one.
im lucky to have been looking when they started discounting them. got a great deal on a smartbuy. it is a hybrid you know. canadian motor with an austrailian chasis and american tires. what a bastard of a car the gto is.

about to trade the aurora in for a rendezvous with the new dohc 6 cyl. was at the dealer yesterday going over numbers. decided to wait a few days. GMAC just announced $1250 additional/bonus GM card earnings towards the car. do i take the plunge with the color she wants and options i want at the dealer or wait? decisions, decisions.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i think we should have a gtg to discuss this matter. WHos bringing the snacks?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha
Old 05-16-2005, 12:08 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
im lucky to have been looking when they started discounting them. got a great deal on a smartbuy. it is a hybrid you know.
Tom, I remember when you were talking about getting one. I said "Get the '05" because I didn't know how big of discounts they were giving out.

My friend was really frustrated with GM. To bump up the HP 50 after only one year in production and offer ridiculous discounts for the 04 GTO absolutely destroyed the resale value.

Oh well. I love driving the GTO though. NOTHING inside the cockpit says "Pontiac" -- in fact to me it all screams EUROPEAN. Not that Australia is Euro, but the fit and finish ain't Pontiac (at least not the Pontiac I remember).

Anyway, great cars.

Back on topic... that is, recommence the immature bickering about ***** sizes...
Old 05-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Tom, I remember when you were talking about getting one. I said "Get the '05" because I didn't know how big of discounts they were giving out.

My friend was really frustrated with GM. To bump up the HP 50 after only one year in production and offer ridiculous discounts for the 04 GTO absolutely destroyed the resale value.

Oh well. I love driving the GTO though. NOTHING inside the cockpit says "Pontiac" -- in fact to me it all screams EUROPEAN. Not that Australia is Euro, but the fit and finish ain't Pontiac (at least not the Pontiac I remember).

Anyway, great cars.

Back on topic... that is, recommence the immature bickering about ***** sizes...
GM screwed up big time with the GTO and the marketing. they got it here a few months late, then announced the bigger motor while there were literally thousands of cars in transit. you know what that announcement did to sales. people should have seen it coming when they said the base vette was going to get the 400hp motor in 05. the only car that would have gotten the 350 hp motor would have been the gto. i personally am thrilled. i got a spectacular car for next to nothing.

the car should have been introduced in 05 with the 400hp, but gm wanted to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the original 64. more like celebrating the 30th anniversary of when they put a gto badge on a nova! hard to define the lowest moment for gm, but that has got to be in the top ten. like deciding on the ugliest car, the pacer doesnt alway win, but is always in the top ten.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:41 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only say: Only in America!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 10:46 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This inane crap needs to stop, threads like this just fuel the fires.

Lighten up people!

Time for a drive in the LS2 powered car .. It aint a Porsche
Old 05-16-2005, 11:13 PM
924martinirossi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is too funny! I'm clearing my two 944's and 928 out of my garage to make room for a friend who I'm going to help do a LT-1 conversion. What do I get in return? The S2 motor we are taking out.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:33 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Those who do not know their opponent's arguments do not completely understand their own."

I think you said it all. Why would you post something so opposed to a quote in your sig?

Sorry, I think you are being stupid. Let people play with cars, if we all kept them stock it would be pretty boring. Wait till you see what I do to mine next winter, I'm sure you will hate it. Why, because I'm finished screwing around with an over engineered 2.5L Turbo. Yes my car is pretty damn fast. But it is just a little to delicate for my tastes.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Talking

Originally Posted by horsepowerfarm
"Those who do not know their opponent's arguments do not completely understand their own."

I think you said it all. Why would you post something so opposed to a quote in your sig?

Sorry, I think you are being stupid. Let people play with cars, if we all kept them stock it would be pretty boring. Wait till you see what I do to mine next winter, I'm sure you will hate it. Why, because I'm finished screwing around with an over engineered 2.5L Turbo. Yes my car is pretty damn fast. But it is just a little to delicate for my tastes.
Win,
When we were at rutts last year you mentioned that you used to race a camaro and that the 944s would take you in the turns, but that you would get them in the straights. you werent too happy with the camaro on the turns i think.

Let me guess what you are doing. I bet you are going to take a 944 suspension and drop it into (or is it push it onto) a camaro. then you would bet the best of both worlds, you would still have your fast in the straights camaro and the lightning quick agility of the porsche. plus you would not hurt any baby seals (err i mean any sacred porsches).

When you are done can i have the old solid axle from the camaro for one of my projects?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:00 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tom,

I was thinking of an ever so slightly more elegant solution, but "bad" enough to **** the purists off. I want to do something to please me, and no one else. Wow factor will be top priority hood open or closed. I can understand why guys would put in an LT1, makes them happy and stirs up the pot at the same time. Pretty good combo in my book.

I will attempt to do the above and more.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I want to do something to please me, and no one else.
Until you need glasses, then what?

Well if you change your mind, keep me in mind for the solid axle.

Hey lets **** everybody off and put your turbo 4 in my GTO and my LS1 in your Porsche. I would have a kraut from Oz, you would have UD pissing all over himself and then some.

The line for Winslow's motor starts on the right. Take a number in an orderly fashion. bidding will start sometime in march. No purists allowed on the line, no purists allowed to bid unless their bid is higher than the last bid.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:28 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts
Talking

Tom,

I was thinking of an ever so slightly more elegant solution, but "bad" enough to **** the purists off. I want to do something to please me, and no one else. Wow factor will be top priority hood open or closed. I can understand why guys would put in an LT1, makes them happy and stirs up the pot at the same time. Pretty good combo in my book.

I will attempt to do the above and more.
Friggin A, Friggin A, Friggin A. Give me a date for the unveiling.. I want to buy plane tickets before the price goes up! How much for a ride???

PS to Tom.. The ONLY GM car I sat in at the auto show.. The GTO (OK, The Vette too, but I don't fit.. I'm jealous)
Old 05-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right... I do suppose I have made myself into a hypocrit. My bad.

Like I said in the previous thread, we all know my opinion on hybrids. I don't like them. The original intent of THIS thread, was it seemed like the hybrid board was attacking ours. Not throwing a V8 through the Modem Tom... BUT... with some of the threads I'd seen on their forum about how Rennlisters were a bunch of sniveling dumbasses, and then seeing a couple threads pop up about hybrids that IMHO seemed to be designed to fuel a fire, I posted this thread, and I even stated that it may just be paranoia. It was moved down a couple pages until today. I don't understand why this threa d was instantly bumped after a couple days of inactivity.

As for calling them "Mutts" or the "bastard Porsche", that's names they gave themselves. found it on THEIR forum. Hence, they were in quotes.

But as of here on out, I'm done. My position shall hereby be well known. I don't like the idea of hybrids.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:22 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I been thinking about dropping a Yugo engine into my 911's trunk and converting it to FWD
Old 05-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marc, that' would be awesome!

Quick Reply: I've got an uneasy feeling about this...