Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to play w/her real color today. '83 LM6V

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 03:37 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Decided to play w/her real color today. '83 LM6V

Well last weekend I posted a few pictures of the progress stripping some of the panels from my '83. Today I decided after fixing the oil pressure sending unit problem that I was gonna play around with her color. My thought was that it will be easier to clean up a bad/messy green paint job getting it back into shape than it would be cleaning up whatever that brown/champaigne other color was.

I am NOT a professional and it is it obvious in/by the photos but to be honest I would rather have her green than sad and blue

She will be shot and prepped by real shop before the project is done!

I was shooting a Dupont 2 stage Acrylic Enamel, it will all come back off soon enough but I wanted to see how it worked out.

Picture 4 is what was under the stone guards and is original.

Now I have to go and clean my detail gun and my garage!

Here's a couple of pics.

Michael
Attached Images     

Last edited by michaelathome; 05-14-2005 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:08 AM
9five1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good!!
Old 05-14-2005, 10:16 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Ooo, I really do like that color...

Of course, this will only encourage you to keep working on the car. Which is a good thing.

BB.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:04 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Thanks guys,

I was just messing around and seeing what the painting was going be like. It would pass the 10 foot test in the dark Anything closer and it really looks bad. I decided to play with that fender because I think that I am going to end up swaping it out. Not sure if some of the rust damage in the front that Eric tore his pants on can be repaired. We'll see I guess. For now it is back to stripping.

Michael
Old 05-14-2005, 05:10 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael,
Looking good man. Can't wait to see it at the fest.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:24 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you have lots of body filler on the front to finish...Have fun, Keep sanding!
Old 05-14-2005, 05:33 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Yeah, 944_S_TYPE I am using a heat gun and a putty knife to take it off. It works pretty well for the heavy stuff. The DA really does a good job but the bondo dust can get to be a mess!

Michael

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2005, 05:39 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keeping working at it. This is how ya learn!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:03 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eeewwww.......moss green?.......who would EVER want that? I have more than enough of that in my lawn! The moss that is.......the other stuff is brown..........darn my dogs!

REALLY now........looks good! I do love that color! Tis indeed unique! Keep plugging at it, and when ya finally get it done, its gonna be just beautiful! Don't rush it.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:07 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

green is hot. my 68 fastback is supposed to be grean. Definately going the Bullet mustang look when I can re-restore it after horribletown (aka law school).
Old 05-16-2005, 02:24 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Default Work done on LM6V 83 temp and oil pressure

I would consider this a pretty productive weekend. Got a little sanding done, and some paint done even though it is going to come back off.

Yes 944_S_TYPE there is a LOT of bondo/filler that still needs to be removed over the entire car. The driver door being a replacement had trim which the holes were filled/floated with filler. BTW I have a working power lock mech off that door that someone may want, Free! Only cost would be for shipping. The passenger side door, original, has no holes so I am guessing the car was a trim delete unless the earlies were maybe a taped on trim. Front end has most of the filler and there are obvious signs of a front end impact at some point.

Anyhow, with a little support from another Rennlister I was able to get through bringing her up to temp. It was a rough thing for me to do knowing that some of my gauges are still not working. I am use to cars that have working gauges and/or idiot lights and not much worked/is-working still on this one. Anyhow, worked through it and:

- While cold or at lowest temp averaged between 4.5 to 5 bar oil pressure on the gauge at idle.
- While at highest temp dropped to 1.4 bar oil pressure on the gauge at idle.
- While at temp at idle 1.4 to 5 bar oil pressure on the gauge depending on if fan was running ot not.
- While at temp with throttle 3.5 to 5 bar oil pressure on the gauge. Fans running when they needed to.

- Both fans kick in at 1.4 bar on the oil pressure gauge at idle.
- One fan (driver side) runs as long as I have the AC fan on, PERIOD!
- Both fans kick in when car is stationary and has reached maximum temp.

I am currently using Castrol GTX 10/40 and a 70-30 coolant/water mix in my system.

Obviously things will change with different oil weights/types and coolant combinations but I figured that I should post it for those that are looking for info at some later time.

Michael

Quick Reply: Decided to play w/her real color today. '83 LM6V