Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold my 944 in January, but I am getting Parking Ticket fines..

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005 | 08:27 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Default Sold my 944 in January, but I am getting Parking Ticket fines..

Need some advice. I sold my 1987 944 to this young lady (she posted here in the forum which got hundreds fo reply).. Anyway, I recieved a couple of parking violation fines totalling over $300. Seems like DMV thinks the car is still under my name. Now I remember mailing to DMV the top part of the "pink slip", and this should release my liability..So I am unsure why I am still the registered owner of the car? Could it be that the new owner never registered it? I also cannot contest the ticket since I do not have the new owner's information. All I have is her first and last name. I dont have her email address or phone#. Not sure what to do next.
Old 05-12-2005 | 10:28 PM
Alexlepro
Track Day

I learned this the hard way too. What probably happened is that the new owner never registered the car. When you sell a car, ALWAYS copy down their information for later refference. Also, sending it in can cause problems, now whenever I sell a car, I bring the top part to the local DMV and I get a clerk to sign and date it.
What I would do is to try to find this person. If you sold the car locally, and have her full name it shouldn't be too hard, there can't be a hundred women with the exact same name. If that doesn't work, go to the DMV right away to make sure you are not liable anymore.
Old 05-12-2005 | 11:58 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I remember her. You should be able to just forward the information to the DMV and whichever agency is issuing the tickets and end of problem. I'd be suprised if it took more than 10 minutes to clear up.
Old 05-14-2005 | 03:15 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Tell her you are going to post her address on rennlist. I am sure that should scare her enough to take care of the problem....
Old 05-14-2005 | 05:20 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Do you know what her name on rennlist was? just search her old post and check if her name is still registered. You should be able to get the info from John D. that you need, i think this warrants it.
Old 05-14-2005 | 05:29 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexlepro
I learned this the hard way too. What probably happened is that the new owner never registered the car. When you sell a car, ALWAYS copy down their information for later refference. Also, sending it in can cause problems, now whenever I sell a car, I bring the top part to the local DMV and I get a clerk to sign and date it.

I sold a car once and a few months later Highway Patrol comes knocking at my door b/c of a hit and run that involved "my car".

Thankfully I made him sign a form from the DMV that acknowledged that he purchased the car from me, I just showed the HiPo the copies of everything that I took.
Old 05-14-2005 | 06:19 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

The license plates stay with the car in the US? Strange. Here, you take your plates off when you sell, there's no chance of this happening.
Old 05-14-2005 | 06:29 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

in europe don't the plates stay on for the life of the car?
Old 05-14-2005 | 07:49 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Peckster
The license plates stay with the car in the US? Strange. Here, you take your plates off when you sell, there's no chance of this happening.
the laws are determined by the state, every state is different ...
Old 05-15-2005 | 10:19 PM
lilredpo
Pro

In NY, you can still get a ticket even if the plates are off the car. Stickers are tied to the plates. That's why you should alsways remove the registration and inspection stickers when you sell.
Old 05-16-2005 | 12:17 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Originally Posted by Legoland951
Tell her you are going to post her address on rennlist. I am sure that should scare her enough to take care of the problem....
OMFG that has to be the funniest thing I've read this week. . .

The response to her initial foray into Rennlist was nothing less than a side of bloody beef thrown into a hungry shark tank. I still feel dirty like I need a shower when I think of the responses to her initial posts that poor girl got. . .

I guess it works to his advantage now though, don't it?
Old 05-16-2005 | 02:53 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Go to the DMV and get a printout that shows that you still own the car, call a repo man and get it back.

or put a mechanics lean on it for the ammount of the tickets plus a handling fee and interest.

yeah, I'm an ***.
Old 05-16-2005 | 03:06 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

lol.. i think i know who you are talking about. Just tell her your going to give TheStig her # and address. Now that will scare her.. (sorry buddy )

I'd goto the DMV and make sure they know its not yours anymore.
Old 05-16-2005 | 09:32 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jake 944CS
in europe don't the plates stay on for the life of the car?
As they do in Oz. Unless you change states!
Old 05-17-2005 | 03:59 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Exact same thing happened to me when I sold my RX-7. The dope knew that it would take a couple weeks before the car was out of my name, so he just kept parking the car illegally knowing the tickets would go to me. I went down the the local DMV, told the clerk my situation and gave them a copy of the sale (my copy of the title saying who the car had been sold to and when, if I remember correctly) and they said ok we'll get everything sorted out. He ended up paying every ticket he thought he was getting away with.

Coincidentally, I just saw that car at the mall about a month ago. The car was damn near perfect when I sold it, and now it's trashed. I walked up, looked inside and the interior was torn apart, the body was all rusty and looked like hell. I really worked hard to keep it in top shape too, damn.

Quick Reply: Sold my 944 in January, but I am getting Parking Ticket fines..