Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ended. Need sheetmetal piece between tailights

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005 | 12:44 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Rear ended. Need sheetmetal piece between tailights

I need the Steel Tail Piece for 944 body. Late if it matters. Turbo if it matters. I'm pretty sure neither matters.

It's the piece between the tailights that had the porsche decal and the Turbo/944 plastic emblem on it.

I will consider fiberglass or other fiberglass pieces. (while I'm in there.
rear euro bumper
fenders front and rear.

I need the whole piece shown in the picture

Also need a deal on a turbo clutch kit. New or almost new.

I HAVE steel quarter panels and rear bumper For Sale in northern California.

DanD

This is my once in a great while ad in the regular list. (I got exactly 4 views in the last 3 days in the classified list).
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2005 | 02:36 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

If the rear of the car is caved in you will need more than just that piece. There are two more behind it that get bent too.

The 83
Old 05-12-2005 | 02:44 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

DanD,

As a member you are allowed to ask. Even as a non member you are allowed to ask, just not sell or be abusive. I would suggest trying to get a pm to Granite 944 or Jason 951 and figure out where they are sending their tubs if you are in the SEA-TAC area.

Sorry for that generic answer but you haven't told us where you are on the west coast to try to offer more specific info.

For that matter anyone that has recently gotten rid of a tub. I know where to find some local to me but I am on the wrong coast. Shipping would kill any reasonable price.

Michael
Old 05-12-2005 | 11:56 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

SoCal,
I'll take another look at it. It's likely to be just the outer piece.

Michael,
I'm in Nor Cal. Central Valley Cal to be more precise.
Yep, I've been around quite a while. Know the rules, it was just my jab at the large amount of FS WTB topics lately. But, ya do what ya got to do..
We'll see what shows up.. I'll check with the 2 you mentioned.
Thanks,
DanD
Old 05-12-2005 | 12:25 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Dan,
There's a 924 at Pick N' Pull next to Silverstar in Sac. They couldn't charge you more than $5-10.
Old 05-14-2005 | 04:24 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

KuHL,
Thanks for the headsup on the Picnpull. It was good to see you and Serg again. And, you were right on for the price. $8.24 plus core and warranty. (they snuck the warranty in on me. $4 more bucks.) What good is a warranty on a piece of sheetmetal? Anyway, it's a bit less than $599 that we were quoted. Take it easy,
Now on to Honeydoos...
DanD
Old 05-14-2005 | 04:49 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Rear-end collisions that dent that piece usually total the car because there's so much welded material back there that would need to be laborously cut out, replaced and re-welded. It's going to be an awful lot of work and it might be easier just to get a different car.
Old 05-14-2005 | 05:06 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jeff,
Thanks for the insight. I just cut the thing off the car. (took about 20 minutes) I know there will be a lot of welding to put it back on. It's a good excuse to buy a real Mig instead of the wire feed that I have now. Besides, I'll get my son to do all the hard work...
Old 05-14-2005 | 05:17 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Rear-end collisions that dent that piece usually total the car because there's so much welded material back there that would need to be laborously cut out, replaced and re-welded. It's going to be an awful lot of work and it might be easier just to get a different car.
I disagree. Perhaps it's due to all the welding we've done on teh rover, but I think it's just a matter of actually getting dirty and doing it. If your doing the welding yourself, it's not going to be any worse time wise then maybe doing a clutch or something. Why not spend the time to do this, when youw ould spend the time for a unbolting job? The job looks scary to start, but you just have to cut away the bad stuff, get a good piece that has what you need, and start tinkering and welding. It's a job, and not a lot of fun.. but it doesn't warrant getting a new car, unless your looking to have something that was never touched from factory.
Old 05-14-2005 | 05:23 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Dan, those P n' P scoundrels like you are going to return it...now I know who has a cordless Sawzall.

POP,
Actually if you look at how it's all is put together the cut and weld can be done at obvious seams for overlap and still retain full integrity. If Dan had the part cut out in that short of time I'm sure he can handle the reweld with no problem also. Anyone that would total a 951 without any structural damage such as Dan's should be shot. From what I can see he might be better off removing the outer shell of his new repair section, cutting the outer shell off his car and welding it to the inner framework of his car. There is no hatch damage or deformation of the inner sections at all that I could see.

I'm jazzed because I scored a good manual sunroof w/ black liner and hardware, 3-sets of manual latch hardware, and 3 early door handles for $23 total...gotta love 1/2 price day at Pick N' Pull. Serge got a cat back for his car. All and all a Good Day
Old 05-14-2005 | 05:27 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Serge installed the cat back on his 86. Serge is going to put it up for sale. Sell Serge, sell.

Nice meeting you again Dan.
Old 05-14-2005 | 08:30 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Catback rattles like crazy. Great - $20 bucks an a half hour wasted.
Old 05-14-2005 | 09:26 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944
Catback rattles like crazy. Great - $20 bucks an a half hour wasted.
PM sent with solution!
Old 07-14-2008 | 12:59 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

From: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Helllo dan d i was wondering if u have any pictures of your car from the crash ?? I just had the luck of gettin hit in the rear by a dump truck on the way to a car show this pass weekend !!!!

kinda just want to compare the damage so i can see the extent of the work i think kuhl951 informed me of your unlucky event also .....

and how long in all did it take for you to do ??( after doin this there is no area of a 951 where i havent been ....lol)
Old 07-14-2008 | 01:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

maybe time to do a 968 rear end..

Quick Reply: Rear ended. Need sheetmetal piece between tailights