Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Does your GF/Wife race?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 02:50 AM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Does your GF/Wife race?

Here's a picture of my GF at a local autox ripping across the finish line. Any other female drivers on the board?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:52 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My gf is asian. And yes, the stereotype fits. I try to keep her out of the driver's seat as often as possible.....
Old 05-11-2005, 09:28 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

My girlfriend wants to race, but doesn't know how to drive a manual... as soon as I teach her she will be racing right along side me...
Old 05-11-2005, 09:50 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We bought my GF an E36 M3 to DE in. She saw how much fun my Father and I are having rebuilding/maintaining our 951's and she said no way did she want a Porsche. This was the only car she liked in the price range and the only one I wanted to work on when it breaks. Pics to come this summer from Watkins Glen!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in her younger days my wife raced at Watkins Glen (She is from Wellsville NY and had a Volvo at the time.). When we met she was driving an '86 Subaru XT GL, and prior to that she rode a Harley and had a Firebird.

However, she has NEVER driven any of the three 944s (two NAs and a turbo) that I've owned. I've offered to let her drive on several occasions, but she has some light arthritis and had to have a hip replaced last year, so it's automatics only for her.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:10 AM
9444Alexis
Banned Pirate Queen
Lifetime Rennlist

Weeellllll..........I am the only one who drives manual in my family and I am the one who has dreams of doing this since I was 3. I have worked my way from rebuilding engines and such to getting to my first DE the in April. I just bought my 944 and am car-guarding against family :-)

I will be racing, and have a very small competitve problem so I can't let my husband race in the same type as I do. He's not competitve and I don't want this to wreck a good marriage! He wants to do rally racing anyway!

Has anyone else heard about VIR safety and security training that involves offensive/defensive driving and armed security training? I would love to do that too......sounds like a really fun thing....OK, so I am weird, but it does sound like fun.

My good friend is to blame for my Porsche problem by the way....never knew anything about these cars until I borrowed his for the DE. I like them a lot!

Brings me to another question, anyone have any ideas for getting the seat into a slightly higher position so short people can get good enough visibility for things like the skidpad?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

my wife autocrossed our red S2 when she was pregnant!!! I am trying to get her back into the saddle.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:48 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been known to get behind the wheel once in a while
Old 05-11-2005, 11:17 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have given my wife the opprotunity to autocross and even race (proper wheel to wheel). She is not really interested.

My 83 autocross car was aquired as a spare parts car. Then I fixed up for her/us to run at the PCA autocrosses. I figured it would be perfect for her. Stock suspension and poor paint so that if she made a mistake we would not care. Heck I did not care if she blew-up the motor in it. I figure this would mean little pressure on her. Well she ran 5-6 autocrosses in the car, but the bug never caught up with her. I taught her to drive a stick, but she does not like it. Thinks it is too much work. She is too rough for me to let her drive my turbo and she is not confident in traffic with one. She needs practice and could get it, but has no desire. In autocross it was easy. Start and put it in second gear. The drive.

In someways it is too bad. Her she had the chance do it and some to teach her the skills she needs. Unfortuntalty she does not find it to be that much fun. When ever I autocross lately I ask her if she wants to go, often says now. "You get up too early". Or "You go, maybe next time".

I have not pushed her, just asked and given her a chance. I will however sell my 83 autocrosser. Now if she wants to autocross it will have to be in my 944-spec car. Heck an I would have even built her a spec car if she wanted to go racing.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife is not interested in either autox or DE's. I have tried to persuade her to try it out, but she is very dis-interested in doing so. She doesn't drive a stick, and therefore doesn't drive my Porsche. (She did learn how to drive stick - but that resulted in my car rolling down a hill, side-swiping a car, taking out a municipal sign, and rolling across a busy street during rush hour traffic...but that's a different story)

She's had her new car - a New Beetle Turbo for a year now, and she is notably more assertive with her driving - perhaps a car control clinic or an autocross will be the next step.

But one thing I have learned in all this: it is better to NOT pressure her into doing something she doesn't want to do - after all, if I force her to do this track/car stuff, someday, she may counter with a 'Yoga for couples' seminar, or a knitting class membership exclusively for me!

-Z.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:11 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife has always shared the racing bug (see pic of her about to hit Waterford Hills in Vaughan Scott's 924 ;-)
We autocrossed for several years, and went road racing after that.
I'm still a little quicker than her, but she has the more competitive spirit

Brian
Old 05-11-2005, 12:42 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my g/f raced her 924s at the first autox of this year, i did the second autox because she had to study for a big test. She is doing another this month at kilkare in dayton. Once my car is done we'll be doing more and she'll get more experience. She said she really likes it and wants to do a DE when we get a chance....what did i start?
Old 05-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i need a gf who's into cars
Old 05-11-2005, 12:43 PM
ApexCars
Pro

My wife can drive a stick and even says she likes a car that performs. I had an E46 328i sport pkg. with five speed and my sister had the same year model 325i auto. Wife loved to drive my car but said my sisters was like driving a Cavalier. That being said, she bogged the engine all the time and would shift at about 2700 rpm. I would tell her to DRIVE the car, its meant to be driven like a performance car, not like your grandmothers 73 Buick but she never really understood what I meant. She thinks my car is stupid and old and can't understand why I want it. So no - definitely no auto-x for her. Besides, its too hard to stay inside the cones while doing your makeup.

Alexis - There are several good schools around that teach vehicle defense. Thunder Ranch is my favorite but they just moved from Texas to Oregon. Also, check this out, looks fun http://www.virclub.com/cms/index.php...id=6&Itemid=48
Old 05-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I taught my gf how to drive stick in my 944, but she isn't the racing type i guess... Not a very agressive driver.

Quick Reply: OT: Does your GF/Wife race?