Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off throttle problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off throttle problem?

Well, I have noticed this problem with my car and I am tring to track it down. What happens is that when I am driving and let off the gas (still in gear) that the motor's RPMs come down but doesn't come down smooth. It almost feels like a backfire like every 3 - 5 seconds. At speed, idle, full power, it all feels normal and good only when slowing down.

Now, work I JUST did before this happened. I put in all new vacuum lines, here is where I noticed that one of the lines was off. The line that was off was RIGHT before the intake manifold on the bottom side, so when I put in new lines, I plugged that in. I also had to take off the AFM sensor to get that line in but I checked that and still seems to work fine. I also then reset the idle because it was a little higher then stock after the lines put in.

What I am thinking is that it COULD be the AFM on there but I really don't know what else to look for or what it could be. I have checked all the lines, still good and all the way on. I vacuum is actually better then before, it was about 16 when hot, now I am getting about 18-19 hot at idle. So, what should I be looking at and how do I test to see if it is good? Side note, I have a cat-bypass in the car as well. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Sorry, I mean TPS, not the afm. I took the TPS off because of the line right by it.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Found the problem, the TPS wasn't clicking when it would close. So I re-adjusted and all good now!
Old 05-08-2005, 11:57 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was my suggestion. I rebuilt the throttle body with the Arnnmorks kit and had to pay special attention to the TPS.
BTW, two of the three throttle shaft o-rings were in little pieces, the third must have been combusted at some point.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:03 AM
StupEd05
Pro

clicking when closing? mine clicks when openning... bad? do I just rotate it?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:34 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"What happens is that when I am driving and let off the gas (still in gear) that the motor's RPMs come down but doesn't come down smooth. It almost feels like a backfire like every 3 - 5 seconds."
"Found the problem, the TPS wasn't clicking when it would close. So I re-adjusted and all good now!"
"clicking when closing? mine clicks when openning... bad? do I just rotate it?"

It clicks as it opens and clicks as it closes. This is a binary switch that tells the DME whether the throttle is open or closed. When it's closed, the DME switches to the idle fuel-maps and cuts off the fuel above... 2000rpm or so. If however, the switch isn't connected properly, the DME thinks you've got the throttle open and it uses the partial-throttle maps, which does have fuel above 2000rpm. Which is the source of your popping and surging.

If you monitor the AFM's voltage under closed-throttle deceleration, you'll see that the flapper door oscillates back & forth... probably some harmonic pulsations going back and forth. This would trick the DME into injecting fuel for air-flow that's not really occuring.. thus the pops and stumbles. Better to just cut off the gas altogether when you're coasting...
Old 05-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Yea, I got it fixed but thanks Danno.

Quick Reply: Off throttle problem?