Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another engine swap Q...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 12:58 PM
BigRed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another engine swap Q...

I'm not going to ask if I can drop a 951 motor into my n/a...seen those results...however, I was wondering about a 16v or even a 3.0L. Is that as involved a swap as the 951 swap?

...don't make me go the LT1 route...
Old 05-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

www.944s3.com

However, I am not against the LT1 swap (be prepared for big $$ though). At least $4,000 for the kit (if done right) and maybe $2,000 for the engine.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um. whats wrong with a 951 motor?

what results have you "seen"?
Old 05-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wes,
There is nothing wrong with dropping a 951 engine into your NA, the problem people typically have is when someone asks about turbocharging their NA, which would cost alot of money and is much less efficient then buying a 951. I have done the engine swap and the easiest way to go is to just buy a 951, but if you want to do something cool and unique an engine swap is definitely feasable. The best way to go about this is to find a 951 or an S2 that has been in a wreck and buy the whole thing and just use the parts you need and sell what you don't.

If you're going to go through the trouble I would advise against getting the 2.5L 16v engine out of a 944S, I have owned an S, an NA, and now a turbo and I think you will not experience a big change in performance in the S. THeir is more high end, but the low end leaves much to be desired and my NA actually "felt" faster off the line. Ideally use either the 3.0L 16v out of the 968 (vario cam, worth some more hp) or the 3.0L 16v out of an S2. This will give you more bang for the buck.

Best thing to do is to be patient and find the right parts car at the right price and then you'll be set. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2005, 05:14 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

heres some stuff that might help
http://members.rennlist.com/tholyoak...wap_wiring.htm
and heres someones site who has done it, and if you decide to go crazy you can turbo it like he did
http://www.944968.com/
Old 05-09-2005, 09:50 AM
BigRed
Pro

Originally Posted by Campeck
um. whats wrong with a 951 motor?

what results have you "seen"?
By "seen", I was referring to seeing the response from 'listers when asked about this subject, but Maciek cleared that up for me...
Originally Posted by Maciek
Wes,
There is nothing wrong with dropping a 951 engine into your NA, the problem people typically have is when someone asks about turbocharging their NA, which would cost alot of money and is much less efficient then buying a 951.
...so I was mistaken. Thanks.

If I'm going to go through the trouble of pulling the n/a motor to rebuild it, would a swap for a good 16v be a good idea? I like the idea of a 3.0 16v under the hood of an unsuspecting 944 (or the 951 engine... ) so my main question is swapability. Are these swaps literally swaps, or will there be other parts and/or fabrication needed? Also, will my stock 944 tranny hold up to the added power if I go the S route?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:34 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed
If I'm going to go through the trouble of pulling the n/a motor to rebuild it, would a swap for a good 16v be a good idea? I like the idea of a 3.0 16v under the hood of an unsuspecting 944 (or the 951 engine... ) so my main question is swapability. Are these swaps literally swaps, or will there be other parts and/or fabrication needed? Also, will my stock 944 tranny hold up to the added power if I go the S route?
I ended up doing my swap when my motor needed a rebuild -- I figured if you're already dropping in a motor, might as well use the opportunity to upgrade. You'll need a few other parts (DME, wiring harness, flywheel, cone airfilter) -- you'll find plenty of info if you do a search. As for the tranny, I grenaded mine within 5k miles -- though it might have been on it's way out already.

I agree with Maciek -- why go through all the trouble just for a 2.5L 16v motor, might as well go to 3.0L.

My favorite car is the 83 944 with a lightened body and a SFR-supercharged 968 motor owned by a fellow over in the UK. Talk about a Q-car....
Old 05-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wes,
I have not done the 3.0L swap so I cannot gurantee it is a straight swap but all the 944s bolt up to the crossmember the same way so it "should" fit. The S2 has its airbox beneath the header panel (where the intercooler is on a 951) so you will probably not have mounts for that. I know people remedy this by going straight to a cone filter and ditch the air box on the conversions.

If you decide to go with the 951 you will be missing the intercooler mounts. They have them on the S2 so mine was a direct swap but yours will not be. I am sure you can make it fit with a custom welded bracket, shouldn't be extremely difficult.

In regards to your tranny, I would swap it out and upgrade. I know there was a lister who used a 944 tranny in his 951 and it worked great for a few months until he broke it. That is why I recommended getting a complete parts car and then you'd be able to use the tranny as well. Good luck,

Quick Reply: Another engine swap Q...