Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, she's up on eBay....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:18 PM
garthfan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, she's up on eBay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Starting high, but I'll come down if she doesn't sell.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:39 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Cool

needing belts and paint, you'll probably need to.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:04 PM
garthfan
Racer

Originally Posted by bearone
needing belts and paint, you'll probably need to.

Not necessarily. We've already had this discussion around here before and several other New Englanders have helped me point out that you can expect more for these cars in this area than you would a lot of other places. They're not quite as common. If it doesn't sell on eBay, I'll go through the routine of listing it locally. I've seen firsthand a few of these in worse condition than mine go for the same price range.

BTW: The car doesn't need belts. If you read the description, it specifically states that the dealership has just performed a second inspection/retensioning on the belts and did NOT recommend replacement. They specifically said the belts were just fine.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:22 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't think you will have one problem fetching the price you are looking for. If it was my car, I probably would have put the BIN even higher. If not for the paint touch up, and the clutch, it would be a $6500 car.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Schmohey
AutoX

Wished you sold it a month or two from now. I would have bought it without questions.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:00 AM
StupEd05
Pro

jesus christ! $4100 is a great price for that thing! Damn, thats about what I want for mine! If you still have it once mine is sold, you can consider it sold.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:10 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

What are the shipping costs to Cairns? Sigh!!!!!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 05-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Schmohey
AutoX

I'm just curious, I think I read that you got this car from Chicago or something? Sorry if I'm wrong.

How did you drive the car from another states without the plates or you went back to your state and get the plates, and then drove it back?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:55 PM
garthfan
Racer

Originally Posted by Schmohey
I'm just curious, I think I read that you got this car from Chicago or something? Sorry if I'm wrong.

How did you drive the car from another states without the plates or you went back to your state and get the plates, and then drove it back?
I had the guy I bought the car from FedEx me the title/bill-of-sale after he received my payment. Then I just registered it here, flew to Chicago to pick it up and drove it home. Easy as pie.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:22 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Cool

Originally Posted by garthfan
Not necessarily. We've already had this discussion around here before and several other New Englanders have helped me point out that you can expect more for these cars in this area than you would a lot of other places. They're not quite as common. If it doesn't sell on eBay, I'll go through the routine of listing it locally. I've seen firsthand a few of these in worse condition than mine go for the same price range.

BTW: The car doesn't need belts. If you read the description, it specifically states that the dealership has just performed a second inspection/retensioning on the belts and did NOT recommend replacement. They specifically said the belts were just fine.
i can't get to the link but i saw the ad and it said belts done within 30k.

unless the dealership had done the belts and had the documentation to prove it, it's like any owner telling a potential buyer that "the belts look good".

needing paint also, i'd pass unless the price was reduced but then that's just me but then there are a lot of people like me that look at it the same way.

are you going to give a 10k mile guarantee that the belts are ok and that you'll pay for the repairs if they don't make it.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:40 PM
garthfan
Racer

Originally Posted by bearone
i can't get to the link but i saw the ad and it said belts done within 30k.

unless the dealership had done the belts and had the documentation to prove it, it's like any owner telling a potential buyer that "the belts look good".

needing paint also, i'd pass unless the price was reduced but then that's just me but then there are a lot of people like me that look at it the same way.

are you going to give a 10k mile guarantee that the belts are ok and that you'll pay for the repairs if they don't make it.
Wow...you don't read very well. The eBay ad specifically states...wait a minute..here, let me cut and paste it:

The previous owner purchased the car in 1988 and had it serviced at the SAME Porsche dealership ever since.
I have a file-folder full of receipts totalling over $35,000 in documented service.
Timing/balance belts changed within the last 30,000 miles with TWO dealer-performed inspections/retensions since then with NO recommendation for replacement.
Within the past 10,000 miles:

New A/C compressor bearing. New clutch slave cylinder. New battery. New thermostat. Belt check/retension. New front brake pads and rotors. New front wheel bearings.
I've got the receipts for EVERYTHING stated in the auction. Kind of spells it all out for you, doesn't it? Actually, why am I explaining this? You're obviously not interested in purchasing it and just feel like attempting to make someone look foolish even though you're the ONLY person in this thread who disagrees with the price.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:51 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

sounds great to me, the belts were put on 30k ago, have been tensioned twice in that span.

i used to live on mitchell street in merrimack.

have a nice weekend, good luck on the sale.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:51 PM
garthfan
Racer

Old 05-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Schmohey
AutoX

Did you check the condition of the car before paying full money? Which method did you paid them (were you afraid they'll take your money and run?) How much was the plane ticket?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:24 PM
garthfan
Racer

Originally Posted by Schmohey
Did you check the condition of the car before paying full money? Which method did you paid them (were you afraid they'll take your money and run?) How much was the plane ticket?
1) Bought the car on eBay from what seemed to be a respectable charity auctioneer. They get cars from church members and other area residents and auction them off for charity. The former owner of this car was pretty well-to-do and I guess just decided to donate it.
The auction was pretty detailed and had good pictures. Plus I asked a lot of questions before bidding.

2) I paid them via PayPal. Since they had good feedback and were very helpful along the way, I really had no fears that they would screw me on the deal.

3) Southwest Airlines $120 Manchester to Chicago.

Quick Reply: Well, she's up on eBay....