Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S Power Steering and CV Joints

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005 | 07:39 AM
dlknight
Instructor

Unhappy 944S Power Steering and CV Joints

Hopefully one of you will be able to diagnose this from the description.

Periodically say once or twice a week (I drive approximately 250 miles a week), I get a loud tapping sound coming from the rear of the car (drivers side). The only way I can think of to describe the sound is you would make a similar sound by dragging a stick (or cane) along a set of metal railings, so you get a "tap tap tap tap etc...". The tempo of the sound increases linearly with rpm and the sound is only apparent really above 3k rpm, it also only happens when accelerating.

It always goes away after being parked for awhile and sometimes disappears after a bit of spirited driving !!!

Im guessing its CV Joints, so for the moment plan on swapping them from left to right. Is this a straight forward job ? I have changed brakes before and I am quite mechanically minded...

Problemo No. 2 (944S)

My Power Steering system is mortally wounded and bleeding around the area of the power steering pump. After having a proper look on the weekend after degreasing the area with gunk it looks like the leak is either on the return pipe from pump to reservoir or the high pressure line from pump to steering rack. It only appears to leak when full lock is used on the steering eg. when parking in a tight space.

Hope you are all well,

Dave K.

Quick Reply: 944S Power Steering and CV Joints