Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPEC clutch kits?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005 | 11:09 AM
Moook
Racer

Default SPEC clutch kits?????

Now then folks..

Hope some of you chaps can shed some light on my problem.????

Ive just had the S2 in the garage for some fairly major "surjury"

IE a new COMPLETE clutch assembly [ SPEC 1 from Lindsey racing US.]
Incl all new bearings , throw out , clutch fork etc,etc,etc,,,
BUT
no new flywheel !!!!!!! "Now starting to regret not doing this.."

Also a gearbox re-build , new pinions + new 4 point bearing .
New gearbox mount , + 944 racing Short shift kit fitted at the same time..

My problem IS
HUGE amounts + i mean HUGE amounts of clutch judder.....
In fact so much so that the car is almost undrivable for "town use ", stop, start stuff...
Would you folks say that its down to the flywheel being "out of tru" ie needing skimming or even a new one fitting.?????

Also the gearbox now sounds worse than when it first went in to have the bearings done.????

I have been told that the "stiffer" springs in the clutch makes the transmision noise louder....as ive now removed the rubber dampening bit......

Could it be that the gear cogs have worn + that there is now more "slap" in the box.?????

Have any of you folks fitted or heard any reports of a SPEC clutch kits ..????

Yours hoping for a solution......+ not too costly.???????
Old 05-01-2005 | 11:59 AM
Matt H
Race Director

The clutch chatter is normal for a SPEC clutch from what has been reported here. You might PM user Aribop and ask if his chatter went away, he also has an S2.
Old 05-01-2005 | 12:43 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

You didn't resurface the flywheel? Isn't it only $30 or so? Chatter can be caused by the uneven friction surface of the flywheel. If your old clutch was slipping it can really toast that flywheel.

-Joel.
Old 05-01-2005 | 01:57 PM
Moook
Racer

The previous clutch wasnt slipping. in fact it seemed ok .
i only replaced it because i was having the gearbox done + its not much more of a job to do the clutch.....
+ as im going to be giving the car some hard driving i "thought" it would be "cost effective" to get it done.....
Old 05-01-2005 | 02:54 PM
eman930
Banned

I have heard alot of bad things about spec clutches, Im not really sure what to believe
Old 05-01-2005 | 03:41 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Given all the items that were replaced, including the clutch fork, which I would say is not a normal replacement item, that your mechanic wouldn't have told you to get the flywheel resurfaced for 15 or 20 quid. That is crazy. Now there is no easy or cheap way to do it.

As Matt H. noted, Spec clutches don't have the greatest report card here, but usually that is for the Spec 3 kits that Dave Lindsey likes to push for street cars. I don't know if the judder is a common problem for the stage 1, though. The Specs are reported to glaze up if you don't drive them hard which would give you the judder.

I'm so glad I went with the Sachs Cup disc as I was considering the Spec. Which doesn't help you much on sorting this out other than feeling lost and miserable.
Old 05-01-2005 | 10:33 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stage 1 should not judder at all, it feels like a stock clutch. How much have you driven it since the swap? With an unsurfaced flywheel it'll take some miles for the clutch and flywheel to mate back up, the judder should decrease. Gearbox noise increase is NOT normal, though you may simply be hearing more of it with the new mount.

What shop did your work? Those aren't small jobs you had them do, and some things may have been done wrong.

Sam
Old 05-02-2005 | 12:28 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I have not finish the break in with my SPEC 3k clutch. But I could not be happier. Almost as light as stock, with gripping power up to 550ft/lbs. Only a SLIGHT chatter that I've noticed (and that was in reverse).
Old 05-02-2005 | 12:34 PM
aribop
Race Car

My Spec II finally settled in almost all the way but it took 4K miles to do it. It still chatters in reverse specially going up a hill. Love the way it engages...catches fast with no slip. Just have to use more gas than normal starting off and I just try to avoid backing up and looking like an idiot.
Old 05-02-2005 | 07:06 PM
Moook
Racer

So far folks
Ta for the replys.....

Ive driven the car aprox 60-80 milers since fittment .. BUT every time i engage the clutch [from a standstill] i get a HUGE amount of judder unless i "dump" the clutch from 3000 revs...+ then i get loads of clutch smell, ie burning....
It seems that if i continue to use it like this it will wear out rapidly + also poss do damage to the rest of the trans......

I WILL be getting in touch with the shop that did the job...
BUT
Ive been using them for the past couple of years ,, They ARE very highly repected in the 944/968 service world...SO should know what they are doing....+ as yet ive NOT had any worries as to the standard of there work....

Im just hoping that it aint going to COST me "much" more £££££ as ive spent a lot on the car recently..!!!!!

Just slightly off topic
Have any of you folks had a 944 racing short shift kit fitted.???
How do you find it.???
Did it "stiffen" up the movement of the change?? I realise it shortens the throw.....
Is there any adjustments that can be made to "free" up / loosen the action???
Mine seems to be very "spingy"......Is that right.????
Old 05-02-2005 | 07:16 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Moook, how many miles have you had the short shifter on? Same time as the clutch? Mine was very notchy for the first few weeks. Gradually it seems to have loosened up, either that i just got used to it. You will definetley notice the 'notchy' feeling when shifting. Meaning a bit of resistance at the begininning of each gate.

Quick Reply: SPEC clutch kits?????