Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

due for a timing belt change and a few other goodies

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 06:43 PM
troll
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy due for a timing belt change and a few other goodies

The car I'm going to pick up is definately due for a timing belt change. It's an 84 944 and I also plan on getting the rollers/front seals, and balance shaft belt

Is the water pump/thermostat a necessary change out during this time? I'm sure its the original and there is 86xxx miles on the engine. The car has been well taken care of and doesnt overheat.

I want to be really prepared when i train down 500 miles to pick this car up and go home! I want this car in drivable / safe condition and will be doing my next t-belt change out but I don't have a garage 500 miles away nor a trailer/truck to get this home. THanks!

Edit: So far i have in my cart 2 cam rollers/2 balance shaft belt rollers/timing belt/balance shaft belt/front seal kit #1 thru 944online for $250 +tax + s/h. 300 sounds a lot better than $600 for their water pump kit!!

Do i buy 2 of the same rollers for the cam and 2 of the same for the balance? Im really confused. what are the exact parts i need? Pelican is confusing me even more cuz im trying to add seals to my cart but i dont know what to add. sorry guys. 944online sounds easier but i'm not sure if they're the best price wise. help, please.

Last edited by troll; 04-30-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, if you're sure that's the original water pump, I would suggest replacing it. If you replace it, by all means you should update to the later style water pump which should include a (timing) belt guard. If you use the updated pump, you will need to modify the rear part of the belt cover. There was a recent post concerning this modification. As for the rollers/seals you need, I think it would be best to either call the vendor and explain what you're doing and they should be able to help. I'm not familiar with 944online but I do know the guys at Pelican or Paragon will be able to help you buy the correct stuff.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:22 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The best way to go about this is to disassemble the parts and examine them. These cars are waaay too expensive to through parts at.

(Flame suit on, again!)

I think that the "common wisdom" of replacing rollers and the pump is wrong. If the parts in there are good, then they do not need to be replaced. New parts are likely to fail right off (if they're going to) and re-built water pumps are the worst for that. Does it turn smoothly? Does it leak? Take the parts off, inspect them and decide on a piece-by-piece basis. It's still cheaper to have one roller overnighted then to buy two in advance.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:26 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Have you looked into having the car shipped? Between your train ticket, food, gas and incidentals, your probably close. Also, you'll may have to go to the local DMV if it's in a different state to get a temp reg in order to legally drive it home.

You said you want it safe, you may also need brakes or tires, as they may have good tread, but may be dry rotted, if you have not seen the car or had a PPI, more issues may be lurking.

Also, not to sound like a downer, but even though the odo has 86K on it, be very weary. It is very easy to stop the odo on these cars by depressing the trip reset while rollling. This strips a small gear in the cluster. It is also very easy to fix, approx. $35.00 plastic gear and easy to follow directions from Travis at Rennbay.

So I would recommend looking into spending a few more $ to get it shipped, could save you alot between emergency repairs, towing, hotel, etc. Remember, it's a 22 yo car that you may not know very well.

One the flip side, welcome to ownership and the list. Lots of great info and people here.

Congratulations and good luck!

Let us know how it works out.
Ray
Old 04-30-2005, 11:21 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

I am finishing up the front of my 951 as we speak. I got my parts from Zims. They have all the parts in kit for so you get everything. hasn't been too bad except for the broken water pump bolts and studs! Thanks heavens for helicoil! hope to have her back on the street tomorrow. Good luck with the car!

Quick Reply: due for a timing belt change and a few other goodies