Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Sensor Queston

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Turtle256
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Sensor Queston

Okay, short story. I took of my front rotors to have them turned (PO replaced the pads, but didn't turn the rotors, had a lot of chatter), I re-used the pads as they were practically brand new but now the sensor light is on in the dash display. I don't understand? The sensors should come on only when the pads have worn down right? How could removing the pads and then putting them back activate the sensors? Do I need to replace the sensor or is there a trick to this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Turtle
Old 04-25-2005, 09:00 PM
jim944s2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sensor dash-light comes on when any one of the circuits is 'closed' (not connected, I think it's a loop), so it's likely that one (or more) of your sensors is no longer intact, or simply came unplugged near to the chassis.
The easiest way to deal with the sensors is to clip the wires fairly close to the 2 prong plug, strip each wire to bare at the end and wind them together, then seal with rtv or other sealer. This works great as long as you check your pads for wear like on any other older car. I initially did this because some track pads I had weren't cut to fit the sensor heads, I just find it to be an easier solution than dealing with parts that I find to be finicky to work with.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:26 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you reused your original sensors. They tend to crack when you take the old pads out.

I've had a brand new sensor become useless from applying too much pressure to push the tabs into the new brake pad grooves.

People say just check the pads often, but IMHO it's better to make the effort once and rely on the instrument panel than to rely on remembering to check the pads again and again.

In the '80s, German cars weren't exactly known for their "redundant features." They came bare as a bone, and anything else was extra. If they gave you something, you can believe it was for a good reason. YMMV.

Quick Reply: Brake Sensor Queston