Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm New

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 07:49 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I'm New

I've owned my pretty much stock 1983 944 for almost a year now (bought it last August), and I've read rennlist in the past few months and decided to join the fun today.

My car is in pretty good shape, some things need to be taken care of: front nose piece(damn you curbs and speed bumps who didn't think of my car when you were built), cracked dash (isn't every early 944? ) and some other random stuff that bothers me (the way the P/O installed some aftermarket windshield washer pump, whenever I open the hood my eye is drawn to it automatically) but it's a better way to spend my money than booze or cancer sticks

I'm pretty sure I'll have some newbie questions that have probably been answered countless times before, and I apologize in advance

Here's some pics from last year (the hideous fog lights are now replaced with the stock units )

[note my mug with the "I'm tough" pose :P)

Thanks for an awesome site and an endless fountain of 944 knowledge
Old 04-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Good looking car, cookie cutters in good shape always are a nice look! Its nice seeing what red paint is supposed to look like to, mine is more of a unripe tomato red!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, pimpin out in a Damn fine automobile such as that gorgeous 944 makes it acceptable to be runnin around with the "I'm tough" pose plastered all over your mug...

What a gorgeous early 944! I love it!

And, welcome to the list.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

On the note about how red paint is supposed to look, yes, I agree... However mine's not "Unripe tomato", Mine is "Light red (a.k.a. Pink)"
Old 04-25-2005, 08:07 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice car, from the pictures it looks like if you touch up the front valence it will be cosmetically perfect. How is the interior?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:28 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Originally Posted by pearldrum944
Very nice car, from the pictures it looks like if you touch up the front valence it will be cosmetically perfect. How is the interior?
Typed up a really long reply -> Page cannot be displayed, lost it all. Going to sum it up

One of the supports for the valence is gone, so one side has the correct curvature, and the other side looks bloated. The bottom is scraped and it looks off up close (small things like this bug me)

Rear seats - 100%
Passenger seat - 90%
Driver seat - 80% -- hope to either replace the front two seats with seats with more agressive bolstering/racing buckets, or reupholster the stock ones.
Center console has a hole from the P/O's cupholder (bugs me)
Replaced the seatbelts with units from an 87 951, original ones were very frayed and annoying. Missing one trim piece that covers the nut.
Mats are still the original grey on black ones, parts of them are chewed up by the seat rails. Replacing them with black on black ones with "PORSCHE" embossed in them.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

If you're looking for seats, Eyal is doing a racing seat group buy.... 2 racing seats and brackets shipped for $660 USD... Try and find it. it's a great deal.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:41 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by porcho heat
Typed up a really long reply -> Page cannot be displayed, lost it all. Going to sum it up

One of the supports for the valence is gone, so one side has the correct curvature, and the other side looks bloated. The bottom is scraped and it looks off up close (small things like this bug me)

Rear seats - 100%
Passenger seat - 90%
Driver seat - 80% -- hope to either replace the front two seats with seats with more agressive bolstering/racing buckets, or reupholster the stock ones.
Center console has a hole from the P/O's cupholder (bugs me)
Replaced the seatbelts with units from an 87 951, original ones were very frayed and annoying. Missing one trim piece that covers the nut.
Mats are still the original grey on black ones, parts of them are chewed up by the seat rails. Replacing them with black on black ones with "PORSCHE" embossed in them.
Doesn't sound too bad. Yeah, if you want sport seats go with the group buy. If you want an original look order a re-upholstery kit from Rennbay. I understand the valence support being gone, both of mine are missing...
Old 04-25-2005, 08:58 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Originally Posted by pearldrum944
Doesn't sound too bad. Yeah, if you want sport seats go with the group buy. If you want an original look order a re-upholstery kit from Rennbay. I understand the valence support being gone, both of mine are missing...
At least your car is symmetrical :P

Here's a list that I typed in my original reply that got lost... Hopeful future modifications

• Fibreglass body panels
• Carbon Fibre hood, painted of course.
• Delete the A/C and the antenna, since I don't listen to the radio anyway, plus my deck is Sirius ready.
• M030 sway bars, more aggressive suspension set up and lower the car slightly (any suggestions on components)
• Upgrade the brakes, hopefully slotted rotors and upgraded calipers + pads (any suggestions on brake components?)
Just stuff to make the car a little faster on the track, since I plan to take it to some lap days.

By the way, I figure I'll ask this in here... I installed a new deck this weekend (JVC DV5100) and if there's one thing I hate, it's car electrical systems, especially when our haynes manual is pretty much useless for the early 944 radio system. Which wires are the negative speaker wires? I used the brown/red ones... Am I right?

Also, where can I obtain a part to bypass the "front/rear" speaker adjustment beside the shift ****, so I can get true 4 channel sound instead of 2 channels split at that control? (without hacking the original wiring) I'm bad at explaining things, hopefully someone can decipher that?
Old 04-26-2005, 08:47 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Bump?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:16 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm kind of a "keep it stock" guy, so of course I'm gonna say "just drive that lovely car'" of which you have a very very clean and gorgeous example of. But again, your right it's better than booze or cancer sticks!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:21 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE
I'm kind of a "keep it stock" guy, so of course I'm gonna say "just drive that lovely car'" of which you have a very very clean and gorgeous example of. But again, your right it's better than booze or cancer sticks!
Yea, me too, right now it's pretty much stock, minus the deck (anyone have any answers to my questions regarding that???)

Even after the mods I hope to do, the car will look pretty much stock, except with no antenna... and quite a bit lighter.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:54 PM
njwilser
Instructor

Porch Heat,
You gotta get rid of the stock fader switch. New decks already have four channels(i'm sure you already know this) Basicly all you have to do is trace the wires from the switch to the deck and you will figure it out. The switch pops out of the console i think. I believe the two + speaker wires go to the switch and then are splice back in.
Take out the switch and follow the wires. They will be taped up w/ sticky 20 year old tape, back in the dash you will find the four separate speaker feeds. When you find the four separate speaker leads I have heard you can use a 9 volt battery to identify which speaker is which. I micht be mistaken, but I think the four speakers share the two grounds and the pos. are faded w/ the switch.
It is a bit of a biatch to get your hand back in the dash but once you remove the tape the speaker leads should be long enough to service the new deck.
Good luck,
MW
Old 04-27-2005, 10:37 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Originally Posted by njwilser
Porch Heat,
You gotta get rid of the stock fader switch. New decks already have four channels(i'm sure you already know this) Basicly all you have to do is trace the wires from the switch to the deck and you will figure it out. The switch pops out of the console i think. I believe the two + speaker wires go to the switch and then are splice back in.
Take out the switch and follow the wires. They will be taped up w/ sticky 20 year old tape, back in the dash you will find the four separate speaker feeds. When you find the four separate speaker leads I have heard you can use a 9 volt battery to identify which speaker is which. I micht be mistaken, but I think the four speakers share the two grounds and the pos. are faded w/ the switch.
It is a bit of a biatch to get your hand back in the dash but once you remove the tape the speaker leads should be long enough to service the new deck.
Good luck,
MW
Thanks man, so I have to cut up the old wiring? My brother said I could buy something that's already cut up and just plug it in, so I didnt have to hack up the old stuff.

I tried popping the fader switch out, and it wasn't coming. I got scared and stopped haha... don't want to break anything.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:24 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE
But again, your right it's better than booze or cancer sticks!
Whaaaaa? (she says putting out her cancer stick in her glass of booze.)

Welcome to the list. Nice ride

Quick Reply: I'm New