Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build a 944 to 944 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 03:36 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The header panel is supposedly different; I've been told it needs slightly more curvature to it in order to clear the intercooler. AFAIK the fenders are the same.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:38 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Fenders are definetly different. There is a sharp abrupt end in the front of the N/A fenders where they meet the end of the header panel and top outer corner of the bumper. The Turbo/S2 fenders are more rounded in that area. Really it's just a small amount of metal that needs to be trimmed to make a N/A fender into a Turbo/S fender.

The header panel is more rounded in the front, due to the intercooler on the Turbo and the Airbox on the S2. The headlight covers and plastic surrounds are different. Coolant overflow tank is different. The pic is missing the external oil cooler, and the rear metal pan. Boost guage. Keep going, there are others.............

The tranny will be fine if you baby the car. If you thrash on it all the time, it will certainly bite you back! I plan to keep my stock trans for a while, and in the meantime I will build another trans based on an N/A so I can keep my N/A clutch and flywheel.
Probably not. I'm telling you guys, the N/A trans can barely hold up to 143HP, let alone 50%-100% increase in that horsepower. Do yourself a favor and get at least an S2 or 951 trans, and roll that still-good N/A trans over for a little cash before it becomes scrap metal. And, why do you need to keep an N/A trans in order to use the N/A clutch and flywheel? Those are on the other end of the torque tube, and don't know what trans is at the other end. That makes no sense to me.

That's somewhat true, although you have to pay a certain amount of attention in shifting and avoid the temptation to do hard launches. Keep in mind these are independent rear suspensions and have (vulnerable) CVs on the back axles. The spool time of the turbo will offset the vulnerability of the n/a transmission, but only to a point. Eventually you SHOULD upgrade.
FYI the CV's on the 86 951 are the same as the 86 N/A.

You could baby the N/A trans all you want. But if it is worn at all, and there is any play in the R&P, the extra torque is going to kill it.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've still known people to shatter 951 CVs by pretending these are drag cars. . .
Old 04-27-2005, 10:58 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I've still known people to shatter 951 CVs by pretending these are drag cars. . .
Yes, I agree with that! Usually it is people with some good mods putting down higher-than-stock 951 numbers. These certainly are not drag cars by anymeans, though.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tifosiman
I wondered how long it would take for someone to post that damn picture.

Has anyone ever taken the time to take a hard, critical look at that ad?
Yeah, I hate it when people do that.

I guess the 951 only came with left side wheels and tires.

Of course it's possible to turbo the NA. The single biggest issue is engine management. Otherwise, the average ricer shop could probably do a better job than the factory did. For sure they would equip it with a better turbo (20 years of turbo development and all).
Old 04-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Geo
Race Director

I'm telling you guys, the N/A trans can barely hold up to 143HP, let alone 50%-100% increase in that horsepower.
Yes and no.

For sure the final drive is a weak spot.

But, there are people running pretty sizeable hp increases w/o issues. A Milledge IT race engine puts out 185bhp and by the rules they MUST run a stock gearbox. You can replace the final drive, but a turbo final drive goes in the wrong direction, so nobody does that.

That said, if I were planning to turbo an NA, I'd figure a turbo gearbox into the plan for down the road if not at the time.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:38 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Geo
Yes and no.

For sure the final drive is a weak spot.

But, there are people running pretty sizeable hp increases w/o issues. A Milledge IT race engine puts out 185bhp and by the rules they MUST run a stock gearbox. You can replace the final drive, but a turbo final drive goes in the wrong direction, so nobody does that.
I agree with that. I guess I should have caveated my statement with the fact that I wouldn't use a used N/A trans for the turboing application, rather one that was rebuilt properly and tightly. It's the used ones that may have shim issues and r&p slop that would suffer quickly. Most N/A guys on a budget would really be better off getting a used S2 or 951 trans for a turbo swap, as it would be much cheaper than a properly rebuilt N/A trans.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:41 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by 88BlueTSiQuest
All that said.... How well did the Callaway tranny hold up? To my knowledge, Callaway did nothing to 'beef' up the internals, and yet, stock for stock(as stock as a Callaway might be considered) the Callaway was more powerful than a 951.
The N/A trans was all they had at the time, there was no 951 or S2 trans out there. The 931 clamshell trans was stronger, but rare and pricey, and difficult to adapt to a 944.

Remember that the Callaway cars were new cars that were modded, so the N/A trans did not get a chance to be abused and worn prior to the application of an increased load.

As far as how they have held up, there are not many Callaway cars out there, especially with original owners that can verify that the original trans is still in them.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Geo
Race Director

On the engine management front, I would be excited to see someone get a stand-alone utilizing a MAF from the get-go (instead of using the kluged together piggybacks) and then convert the injection from batch to sequential. That should be quite easily done. The plumbing is the easy part.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Geo
Race Director

A MAF is superior to a MAP sensor. The MAP is highly VE sensitive while the MAF if highly VE insensitive. With a proper maps in the ECU you can make pretty big changes to air flow and not have to reprogram the ECU. Everytime you change the air flow with a MAP you pretty much have to reprogram because the air mass calculations will be off resulting in poor A/F ratios.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:17 PM
jp944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you name the missing parts that are different from an N/A of the same vintage? There are a few more than in the photo.
Gauge cluster too, but that's splitting hairs.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Master Cylinder of the cars are diffrent (I don't know about the booster)
Old 04-27-2005, 01:33 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jp944
Gauge cluster too, but that's splitting hairs.
And the engine wiring harness, vacuum lines, injectors, fuel regulator?... Its a long list.

Quick Reply: Build a 944 to 944 turbo