Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob brake pad question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 02:36 AM
Clowd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob brake pad question

I'm going to be doing brake pads all around pretty soon, and I'm concerned about what brake pads I should buy. I do know that there are some types of pads that once they are used on a rotor, the same type has to be used again due to how the pad works(rubs it's own material on the rotor or something.)

How do I tell if those type of pads are on my car right now? Can I just slap a pair of metal masters on and be done with it? Are there any other items I should be concerned about?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:41 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OE are quite good and will give very good rotor life. Unless you're doing tons of track driving, there's really no reason to go with anything different.

I've heard the metal masters kind of suck and will tear up your rotors more quickly than the stock ones. It's a Porsche, not a Chevy Nova. Don't be so cheap. Brakes are your friend.

Forgive my smart-***-ness but seriously, if you're concerned about cost, consider that you'll either pay a bit today or a LOT next time to replace pads and rotors. Do it once, do it right. Check the rotors also and if they need replacing or resurfacing, definitely do it. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:54 AM
Clowd
Pro

I wasn't suggesting metal masters because I'm cheap, they were just the first pads that came to mind.

But I can safely put a pair of OE pads on? The rotors are all good.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:22 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You bet. They're very easy to do on these cars. You'll need (in addition to brake cleaner and a couple of good pairs of gloves) the replacement pads, a small hammer, a good pair of gripping pliers, a couple of screwdrivers to pry with and spread the caliper pistons with, some wire and that's pretty much about it. Changing all four sets of pads including putting a micrometer on th rotors (which should be done at eight points around normally to check for proper thickness) takes no less than an hour once the car is on jacks or a lift with the lugs loosened. It's cake.

You'll love your 944 even more when you see how simple and easy the brakes are.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:56 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Get PBR Deluxe pads. Easy on rotors, low wear, and little dust. I had them on my 944.

They are very cheap from Vertex - advertised prices: 30 front/ 29 rear.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Dieder
Advanced

anyone have any comparisons to EBC Green Stuff (their street compound) pads?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
You bet. They're very easy to do on these cars. You'll need (in addition to brake cleaner and a couple of good pairs of gloves) the replacement pads, a small hammer, a good pair of gripping pliers, a couple of screwdrivers to pry with and spread the caliper pistons with, some wire and that's pretty much about it. Changing all four sets of pads including putting a micrometer on th rotors (which should be done at eight points around normally to check for proper thickness) takes no less than an hour once the car is on jacks or a lift with the lugs loosened. It's cake.

You'll love your 944 even more when you see how simple and easy the brakes are.
I need to do this soon. How can I find the minimum thickness of a rotor? They are looking grooved, but I don't know if they are worth turning or not.

Trending Topics

Old 04-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Friendan, ClarksGarage has alot of good info about brake rotor thickness...

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/brake-04.htm
Old 04-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Techno. Another question: Do you need to replace the wear indicators? My brake pad light has been on for a couple hundred kms...
Old 04-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The wear indicators are a one use item. If you triggered them, they will need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: noob brake pad question