Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another fuel line question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005 | 07:59 PM
painkiller
Racer

Question Yet another fuel line question

Fuel lines seem to be a popular topic these days so here goes: My lines have been detached from the rail for about four months while I ripped out the cv, fixed a bunch of little leaks, replace hoses, belts etc. A LR fuel rail w/lines and all the goodies should be arriving next week. Assembly will commence within a couple of days now that I can buy all the parts.

My question: I'm concerned that the long exposure to atmosphere will have gunked up/varnished the fuel in the ends of the lines that have just been hanging over the engine. I thought I would put the ends into a suitable container and let the fuel pump run for a while to flush any garbage out before I cut the lines and install everything. Anyone had a similar situation or have any reccomendations for dealing with this possibility?

TIA

John
Old 04-21-2005 | 08:57 PM
NZ951
Race Director

I dont think it will be a problem, once you car is together and the pump runs, the fuel will recirculate anyway. I would think you put a rag over the exposed line in the first place.

PS you may want to research ways on reducing the loud noises the LR rail seems to make.
Old 04-21-2005 | 09:09 PM
painkiller
Racer

Thanks Andrew, I'm aware of the noise issues with the LR rail, seems like an easy fix and I'm not too concerned about that. Stock lines were left open but its in a clean garage and other than dust and gumming up of the residual fuel there should not be any debris in the lines. I did some cutting with a dremel to remove the hard a/c lines but tucked the fuel lines down in the headers while I did it to avoid any fine metal particles getting into the fuel lines. Fuel filter has about 30 miles on it so I should be ok on that front.

Thanks again

John
Old 04-21-2005 | 10:03 PM
Danno
Race Director

"My question: I'm concerned that the long exposure to atmosphere will have gunked up/varnished the fuel in the ends of the lines that have just been hanging over the engine. I thought I would put the ends into a suitable container and let the fuel pump run for a while to flush any garbage out before I cut the lines and install everything. Anyone had a similar situation or have any reccomendations for dealing with this possibility?"

yeah, you can just unplug the cap at the end of the fuel-rail and attach a hose into a bucket. Then jumper the DME-relay to run the fuel-pump for a couple seconds. Fuel doesn't degrade that much in a closed system, only if it's open and evaporates, like in a carburetor. I've siphoned 2-year old gas out of my motorcycle, sand-rail and lawnmower one time to use in my 951 when I was really low on cash, no problems with it.
Old 04-21-2005 | 10:38 PM
painkiller
Racer

Thanks Danno, I was hoping you would respond to my question. I think it will be ok, just did not want to take any chances with it because of all the effort I've put into the car over the winter. I'll jumper the the relay and let it run for a little bit before I cut the lines and install the LR fuel rail. That should flush out any residual crap and not risk gumming up the new rail. Pics will be upcoming of the assembly.

Rennlist - there is no substitute

John

Quick Reply: Yet another fuel line question