Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pelican Parts, "I've never sold a chain tensioner in 17 years" WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 09:25 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pelican Parts, "I've never sold a chain tensioner in 17 years" WTF???

So while I was at work today, I had my dad do some calling around for parts, and he ended up talking to the owner of Pelican Parts. We're wanting to change the timing chain and tensioner in my S2, and the guy told him not to buy them and that he hasn't sold a single cam chain or tensioner. . . Should I be looking for parts at another source, or is the chain tensioner not that critical?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:31 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

There is no timing chain it is a timing belt. It is a timing belt tensioner. I can see why they said they hadn't sold one. The timing belt tensioner IIRC doesn't normally go bad but can.

There is IIRC a chain between your 2 valve cams but I don't think that goes bad. I am sure that someone somewhere has experienced it hapeing but I haven't read about it yet.

Hope that helps. 944 w/a timing chain, what a novel idea!

Michael
Old 04-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VERY critical, as far as I'm concerned. If I'm not mistaken, you have:

Timing belt

TIming chain?

The chain has tensioner pads, and the Timing belt has an automatic tensioner, if I'm not mistaken.

Pardon if I'm confused with a 944S, but I do know the S2 has improvements. Look in the archives, and here, at www.clarks-garage.com for more info.

But you have every right to be concerned - because when these puppies blow, they take all the valves with them! Good luck.

- Julie
Old 04-20-2005, 09:37 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by michaelathome
There is no chain it is a belt. It is a belt tensioner. I can see why they said they hadn't sold one. The tensioner IIRC doesn't normally go bad but can.

Hope that helps. 944 w/a timing chain, what a novel idea!

Michael
Its hidden under the valve cover, between the #2 and #3 cyls. . . it helps turn the intake cam.

Julie, I'm familiar with clarks garage, and also have the factory manual for the procedure.

The question as to whether or not to NOT change the tensioner was somewhat sarcastic (hence the smiley ducking behind the wall), however, what is the deal with the guy at Pelican telling us basically not to do it. Are these guys to be trusted, or was the guy there just as confused about the differance between the timing chain and the timing belt as Julie and Michael were???
Old 04-20-2005, 09:42 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

My post was edited by me after I saw that I needed to clarify..
Old 04-20-2005, 10:14 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

all 16 valve cars have a timing belt and camshaft chain with tensioner.

do a search on tensioner failure and you will see lots of info. or just click on my signature and you'll see lots of pics to describe the tensioner failure.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:22 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

I guess I STILL wasn't sarcastic enough. . . I've done PLENTY of reading on the subject. The question sitll is: Is Pelican Parts to be trusted, and do they know what they're talking about?

Joseph, I've seen your pics before. So sorry that happened, I'm trying to avoid the same thing.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:24 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Weird! Cam Chain tensioners are an integral part of 16-valve 944 maintenance. I wonder if he was misunderstanding thinking about the timing belt tensioner in his head when you were talking about the cam chain tensioner...?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
I guess I STILL wasn't sarcastic enough. . . I've done PLENTY of reading on the subject. The question sitll is: Is Pelican Parts to be trusted, and do they know what they're talking about?

Joseph, I've seen your pics before. So sorry that happened, I'm trying to avoid the same thing.
FWIW, I've found them to be pretty knowledgeable, but no-one knows everything about everything, so I guess it's inevitable these guys will gets things wrong from time to time, like everyone else.

The timing chain/timing belt thing is potentially a bit confusing, however; everyone knows about the importanace of changing the timing belts, but even the existance of timing chains is a bit obscure to many. Don't forget too, that the Pelican guys deal with more cars than 16v 944s...

So I wouldn't necessarily jump to any conclusions based on this. If you can, read up to the point where you can be your own expert -- it's always safer than having to rely on the parts guy on the other end of the telephone, anyway. Their advice can be useful as a reality check, however.

-Mark

Last edited by Mark944na86; 04-21-2005 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd have to say he was mistaken or just blowing your dad off. Pelican has always been a pretty good vendor to me and my family.

A business rule to remember: A good leader is not one who knows it all, but knows the people that know it all.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

now, do you have to change the pads only? or should the entire tensioner be replaced? we used to have a 968, and only changed the pads...

<---not a 16v owner, just curious...
Old 04-20-2005, 10:55 PM
IMB951
Drifting

When I had it done I went ahead and had the entire tensioner + pads replaced. Not worth the head job to me, I'd say the same to anyone else.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:10 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

I think the guy on the phone was confused, and was thinking of the belt tensioner. My dad said he was very upfront, and sounded like he was the owner.

Tarheel, are you related to Dave Barton of Santa Barbara, CA with the super ill Volvo turbo wagon?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:13 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Tarheel, are you related to Dave Barton of Santa Barbara, CA with the super ill Volvo turbo wagon?
No, Oddly enough, that IS my dad's name.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:49 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should I be looking for parts at another source?
Personally, I've not been that impressed with Pelican's prices, as compared to several other online vendors. That said, I almost always order my parts from Sunset Porsche in Oregon. The guys there are very kind, helpful, and quite knowledgeable. Call them and talk to them about the timing chain and tensioner. They will know exactly what you're talking about, and will give you a price that can't be beaten. In fact, most online vendors don't even have the tensioning unit in their catalogs. (Pelican does, but sells it at MSRP.)

Quick Reply: Pelican Parts, "I've never sold a chain tensioner in 17 years" WTF???