Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POSSIBLE GROUP BUY: 944/951/968 Unorthodox Racing L/W Underdrive Crank Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 07:14 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POSSIBLE GROUP BUY: 944/951/968 Unorthodox Racing L/W Underdrive Crank Pulleys

Hey gang,

I was on the phone with Unorthodox Racing today and asked about 944 applications on a whim. I was told they used to make Lightweight SS Underdrive crank pullies for our cars, and they did measure a nice little power gain when tested, but they were discontinued about 4 years ago due to light sales. They still have the data on this part, and if we get enough people interested, I would like to start a group buy through Unorthodox Racing.

The pulleys are perfectly balanced and would be a good alternative to removing the balance shafts or A/C. The underdrive ratio is calculated on a car-by-car basis, and while I don't have the exact ratio, I was told it was mild enough of a reduction to not worry about electronics.

The application would fit 85.5-91 944's and Turbos, as well as 92-94 968's. Ideally, we need 50 orders. The price would be approximately $125-$140...which isn't half bad, considering they sold for $209 when they last carried them! 50% deposit would be required, and Unorthodox would list the part on their website and take deposits directly, eliminating a "middle man". They handle the whole thing, and you could buy the part with your 50% deposit directly through Unorthodox.

So is there any interest here? Please let me know. I want this pulley, but I don't need to buy 50 of them myself.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how much gain can you actually get this? Dont you run into problems with the alternator not spinning fast enough or somethign too? any data on all this?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Whorepedo
Instructor

is the 83 944 different??
Old 04-20-2005, 08:26 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

I need to check on the early 944's, but I am assuming they are different since the part they had before was listed as 85+. I'll post if I find something.

YIELDSIGN...no, you will not have any electrical/charging problems due to the altered speed of the...well...alternator. Tons of people run these on hundreds of different models with no issues what so ever, and I used to run them on VW's I had in the past.

How much can be gained? I can't say without a dyno. On most engines, factory pulleys are pretty hefty. Gains can be as little as 2hp, or as much as 12hp. I would guess somewhere around 4hp realistically. That's just a guess though...I won't know until I get one, and I won't get one unless 49 other people do, too. lol. I did dyno the pullies on my VW, but I had done other mods at the same time so I can't say how much of the gain was from the pullies.

...is this it? Two people wondering about them? Arrrrgh. No wonder there's no 944 tuners anymore. No one wants to try anything new! There's 25 people selling Corrado G60 parts for every 1 person selling 944 parts, and the G60 was only made for 2 years! There are people still coding new chips and still making improvements on all sorts of parts for the Corrado. Where's the 944 love?!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would..but i have no money..That's mine to spend anyway.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe because the corrado upgrades get you more than 4hp, because they weren't built near the best they could be fromt he factory? NA's don't have that far to go.... without drastic work. Lots of companies make things for 951's, because a lot of HP is still available in them, which was probably done purposely not to hurt the 911's status.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Broadfoot already has underdrive pulleys for every driven component. This price is not enough of an improvement to get 50 people in.

Sam
Old 04-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not that there's no love, it's that the market is soft. The perception is out there that if you don't have a turbo, you can't get performance - period. People that attempt to get serious about making n/a power get scoffed at and are told "just get a turbo". That GREATLY softens the market for n/a mods. Think of it this way - for $7,000 you can get a decent 951. For $3,000 you can get a decent 944 n/a. Even with $4K in mods to the n/a you still can't touch the power of a stock 951. There's your reason.

I think it kind of sucks, since the n/as are so underrated. I absolutely love mine. I'd sell my 951 before I ever sold it; it's bulletproof, easy to work on, and was my first P-car. It'll probably go to my nephew some day. I'll probably never sell it.

On the other hand, 951s are notoriously finicky, expensive to maintain, and a huge pain in the *** to work on. Bang for the buck they're among the best you can get out there, but $2,000 in mods will get you a LOT further on a 951 chassis than three times that will on an n/a.

I'm not knocking you - like I said, I love the n/a cars and I view any attempts to enhance them as evidence of true love. That means more to me than a casual 951 tweeker - they're dime-a-dozen.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:34 PM
AFB - 944
Intermediate

I might be interested. I just want to make sure that it won't damage the way my car is right now...I agree with you that people need to start tuning their 944's, like corrado's are being tuned. I think the 944 is a much better car overall, with more potential. the only down side to them is the cost for aftermarket parts, but with deals like this......WHERES THE PROBLEM? I would like to know more info, and maybe see some data showing the improvements if possible.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:51 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

The perception is out there that if you don't have a turbo, you can't get performance - period.
yeah, i know. Never underestimate the power of narrow-minded people in large groups, eh?!

I e-mailed my contact asking for more specific data on the pulleys. I may end up contacting Broadfoot, or just having my own custom-made it looks like. More power for me!

Sam, what does Broadfoot charge for theirs?

As far as power...Unorthodox Racing has dynos on their website. I glanced at the Dodge Neon with this crank pulley installed. Gains were something like 8.2hp and 5.6 lb/ft. If we get anything close to that, it's not to bad at all for the price!

Man...it's hard to spur a resurgence in N/A tuning with all the resistance and lack of interest! Oh well. I'll keep this thread alive for a few more days and post the data I get from UR when i get it.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

near their best?
If a 1.8L honda can make close to 200 hp with intake exhaust and other bolt-on mods, than whats stopping a 2.5L porsche from making that much. It's there,
someone just has to find it.
the secret is in the head.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Whorepedo
Instructor

im all for it. ive seen what underdrive pulleys can do on other cars and id be interested to see what it can do for a 944... you just have to get them for an '83
Old 04-20-2005, 09:13 PM
IMB951
Drifting

It's very simple guys, we need some V-Tec.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:17 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

LMAOOOOOO!!!!!

Nice post Tarheel! hahaha!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Geo
Race Director

Hey, I'm in. I've had underdrive pulleys on my other cars and they work great. They only add a few hp, but with an NA, you have to make a little here and a little there. I'd love to get the Broadfoot pulleys. I'd order them in a heartbeat, but they seem to have trouble filling orders right now. If they would get their internal issues worked out, I'd get a full set from them. They make nice stuff.

In fact, how about getting UR to make accessory pulleys as well. Underdriving the waterpump couldn't hurt. Most factory waterpumps cavitate at high rpms. Underdrive pulleys really help keep track cars from overheating.

Quick Reply: POSSIBLE GROUP BUY: 944/951/968 Unorthodox Racing L/W Underdrive Crank Pulleys