Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new exhaust time!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Just how many "track events" has that "track *****" participated in?
nothing here in San Diego quite yet but I'm getting her ready to. School of course is the issue on days there are auto-x events and I can't my car into tech inspection because I'm sitting there looking at a final exam or midterm in front of me

Expected appearance for SD Autox is in May.

Anyways back to the whole Magnaflow thingy; we have a neighbor not too far down with a Magnaflow catback on his C5 Corvette and that baby sounds sweet and mellow on idle and howls when you're on it. I've also heard a lot of good things about their products too.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:57 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
Devon's right, not all cats are high flow. The Dynomax superconvertor I had on the '84 wasn't a high flow. However, it did flow better than the factory one. I'll look into this a little more and check suppliers. If anyone again has reccommendations for certain brand, post away Thanks in advance.
MetalCat...high flow metal matrix catalytic converter.JC
Whitney sells them.
Can't say now anything else than it looks cool,as well as that 3" Magnaflow muffler that I bought for my car.I'll get the car from the shop tomorrow,so I'll be wiser about this then...
Old 04-20-2005, 06:45 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard the high flow cats really didn't flow much better than stock anyway.

I would, however, recommend going to a 2.5" cat-back. The 2.25 really isn't enough to let the engine flow. Also, the magnaflow will be a rather high-pitched sound - at least mine was. Hell, I'd GIVE you mine if I'd kept it when I went to the SFR system. I'd say go with a Borla universal instead.

The Magnaflow may have flowed better than the stock muffler, but not much. When I put the 2.5 SFR system on, the piping and the Borla XR-1 they use really opened that thing up and it'll just roar now. I love the power gains!
Old 04-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I like SFR's products and know Tim. He's a good man and does an amazing job at fabrication. I'm questioning going to 2.5" piping from the cat back though. I had 2.5" from header on back and lost just a slight amount of torque with incredibly little power gained in the upper RPMs. would I lose still if I went to 2.5" after cat?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:19 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Magnaflow may have flowed better than the stock muffler, but not much. When I put the 2.5 SFR system on, the piping and the Borla XR-1 they use really opened that thing up and it'll just roar now...
You're comparing apples to oranges it sounds like. You probably had a chambered Magnaflow, compared to a non-chambered Borla. Two totally different styles of muffler, and it has nothing to do with brand or quality.

STIG, don't waste your time with a 2.25". My .02.

The SFR is loud because they only use ONE straight-thru muffler with NO resonator, at least from the pictures of them that I've seen. Adding a resonator would make the exhaust sound deeper, more growly, and more mature...without sacrificing any real power.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I looked at the Borla XR1 line right now and will consider 2.5" I think I can get a system built for cheap. It will be about 200 bucks for muffler and tip estimated, depending on the source of where I make my purchase. I can have my buddy do the piping for me. I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks again everyone
Old 04-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

200 for a muffler? not worth it, unless your looking for something quiet, are you?

You can get a good muffler for 100-150, but even thats alot IMO, you can get loud ones for 40-50 bucks.

Edit - if you are talking 150 + a 50 dollar tip or so, I guess that's reasonable.. i missed the tip part.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Theres another question regarding the cat-back flange here. Can I use the 2 1/4" flange but expand to 2.5" through the use of a reducer right after? This would make it a lot easier to weld up since this flange is probably exclusive if not rare to find.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:33 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you get MANDREL bends, or you're reducing the advantage of 2.5" piping by about 30%!

They probably won't use flanges at all...they will most likely weld the 2.5" straight up to the old piping.

For that price, I hope that muffler is stainless steel! But honestly, you don't need stainless (unless you really want it for some reason). Aluminized is fine for us in So Cal.

We carry Borla, Magnaflow and Flowmaster mufflers here...I can get you a small discount if you want. Check the website in my sig, and shop by brand once on the site. Drop me a PM and I can check to see what the prices would be after the discount is applied.

FYI...you can easily fit a 6" round in the centerpipe, and a large oval at the rear. make sure you get 2.5" inlet/outlet.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: new exhaust time!