Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Richie's flying down to LAX to pick up a 968!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckathens
Rich-

Is that the one with the flood damage?

Midnight blue is a beautiful color. And it has the 17" Cup II's. Very nice. Does it have a recessed badge?
It better NOT have flood damage!!! I don't think it's the same car you are thinking of. I don't know what you mean by recessed badge... the exterior is all stock except for the splitter!

Originally Posted by eric_k
Looks to be a great deal! Just don't start bringing it to the track. 968's are slow.

Eric
Thanks Eric!!! I've still got my turbo for track days.. hopefully one day it'll be in track guise just like your 968 only with wayyyyyy more power.

Originally Posted by edgehog
Give me a call if you want some help importing, I can hook you up with a discount on the brokerage if you want, unless youre doing it all yourself like I did

You can swing by my workplace if you want, I wouldnt mind seeing your latest money pit Wait till you get to pay 20% on that puppy to cross that rinky dink pretend line on a map
Brian - I am doing it all myself, no worries. It's easy peasy, I already know how to do everything as efficiently as possible. I've even got free storage for the car in Blaine while the paperwork processes. (wouldn't need it if I had flown down earlier, but oh well..) Thankfully I don't have to pay the 7% PST until I register at autoplan. (which I don't plan on doing for a while..)
Old 04-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich,

You and your mom can crash at my house in Gilroy if you like. We have a spare bedroom. Gilroy is 100 miles south of San Francisco. About 8 hours from LA. PM me if you are interested.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like its time for another run.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Wow Bill thanks for the kind offer!!! I will need to seriously BOOK IT northbound after leaving LA, so I wanted to pass out for 6hrs at a Motel 8 somewhere in Oregon, but if I get too tired before then, it might be a good idea to have your number / addy on hand.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:29 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich,

Coincidentally, I am currently on home leave in Portland before I head back to Singapore to continue my assignment. My family and I leave Portland next Tuesday. Give me a holler if you have time to stop by and have a beer in Portland. My US cell is 360-901-8085.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Cool! Thanks Andrew!!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 07:38 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
It better NOT have flood damage!!! I don't think it's the same car you are thinking of. I don't know what you mean by recessed badge... the exterior is all stock except for the splitter!

Thanks Eric!!! I've still got my turbo for track days.. hopefully one day it'll be in track guise just like your 968 only with wayyyyyy more power.

Brian - I am doing it all myself, no worries. It's easy peasy, I already know how to do everything as efficiently as possible. I've even got free storage for the car in Blaine while the paperwork processes. (wouldn't need it if I had flown down earlier, but oh well..) Thankfully I don't have to pay the 7% PST until I register at autoplan. (which I don't plan on doing for a while..)
Yeah I did mine, it isnt half bad. Being able to wait to pay PST is a nice thing too.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:57 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Hey Rich-

Congrats! I guess I just missed you at Weissach about an hour and a bit ago... Jason rolled his eyes and said you headed off to buy ANOTHER p-car. :P

I'd really recommend doing the coast thing up around Big Sur... it can slow you down, but MAN is it beautiful... and you won't see a higher Porsche density anywhere. When Liz and I drove up from San Diego, it was like every second car was a Porsche... it was VERY cool.

That being said, it's pretty slow going along those roads, but depending on your time, may be worth the effort.

I regularly do the Vancouver/San Fran run, and it usually takes me 11 hours to go from home to the San Fran airport hotel strip, with a 4am start out of here, and booking it.

Also, let me know if you ever need a lift to Blaine to pick the car up... I'd be more than happy to play driver for you.

Enjoy the trip!

Too bad you're not going to make it to the AutoX this weekend, but hey, it looks like you have your priorities straight.

...jeff
Old 04-20-2005, 08:03 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich, by the sounds of things, you are flying down there and flying back.

I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip, and welcome to the 1992 968 club.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

When your in malibu/Calabasas area, and you want to see some awsome roads or want to stop for a bite, or both, let me know!
818-321-1944
~Eyal
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jgrant
Too bad you're not going to make it to the AutoX this weekend, but hey, it looks like you have your priorities straight.
Says who????!!!!!

Originally Posted by NeedPorscehSpeed
Rich, by the sounds of things, you are flying down there and flying back.

I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip, and welcome to the 1992 968 club.
Thanks Jonathan!! Someday I'll have a collection to rival yours!

Originally Posted by Eyal
When your in malibu/Calabasas area, and you want to see some awsome roads or want to stop for a bite, or both, let me know!
818-321-1944
~Eyal
Eyal, I'm flying into LAX at 10:30am Thursday.. what your schedule like?
Old 04-21-2005, 02:40 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

I have not driven I-5 to LA yet. I always go 101. Going North after Santa Barbara it is no longer on the coast but it is still much more interesting than the central valley. Actually if you stayed on 101 clear up to Crescent City and then cut over to I-5 I think you would not loose too much time. You would get to see the redwoods north of SF. I guess you have plenty of those in BC though! Just make sure you do not hit SF during rush hour. Highway 1 is the ocean and twisties all the way but it will take you forever, even in a 968! If you are really in a hurry I-5 is 80mph traffic all day long and will be the quickest route.

Good Luck and have a nice trip. If you stop in the Bay Area let us know.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:58 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rich, that's awesome...I want plenty of pics. Our old 92 968 cabrio had a recessed badge from the factory... I think it's a 968 thing in general... I've never seen one without it.

Anyway, congrats!
-G
Old 04-23-2005, 05:53 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I made it home!!! I'll make another thread tomorrow with all the details - and there are many!!! Phew!

Here is a teaser of the new car:
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2005, 06:20 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap Rich...you did make it! Very nice!!!
Looking forward to hearing about it!

Quick Reply: Richie's flying down to LAX to pick up a 968!