Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

West Coast Wrenchers' Track Car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up West Coast Wrenchers' Track Car!

Okay, folks - it's finally coming together! We have a shell generously donated for this project, and at the next Wrenching Party, we shall talk about who all is now serious.

Time to put parts and money where your mouth and driving foot is! Now before you get all upset that it's not all ready for you - I never promised you a rose garden without the thorns.

We get to build this puppy from the ground up. Whereas this was my dream, due to medical conditions, I was told not to race. But it doesn't mean I won't be involved somehow.

- Julie
Old 04-19-2005, 05:55 AM
Danno
Race Director

I'm up for it! Got all the painting equipment too so we can give it a killer paint job!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditto. Is this going to be for SCCA? What category will it be built for? AFAIK the 944 is eligible to operate in the Production EP category or the GT / GT-2 category (rules differ quite a bit, but I'm reviewing further).

Money-wise I'm spread a bit thin right now with my own projects but I'll certainly put in what I can and certainly will donate time and labor and whatever parts I can spare. I don't even care about driving it seeing as there are other guys with a lot more experience and track time than I have - I'm content to sit in the pits and wear a headset (although it'd be nice to run a lap or two once in a while for ****s and giggles). We can discuss further then but if we're really serious about this I would also suggest setting up a corporation to operate under also. This way if something happens we can't be sued and Lego won't end up losing his house or anything.

Danno? You have paint equipment? Do tell. . . *very interested* Want to help me do the silver bullet? She's in desperate need of fresh color on the outside. Interior-wise I have everything she'll need to be like brand new - a perfect dash and brand new seats (literally, they cost me a fortune). That car is going to be the garage *****.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Right now, the 924 shell is the candidate and maybe a 944. Now there is the space and I always had parts. I am open for suggestions. I have a 110v 40PSI dedicated paint compressor (made specifically for painting) and 4 cylinders (super quiet). I also have a few paint guns include a Binks but have to build some kind of fans/vent/filter like a paint booth if we are going to spray or just rent a booth. I am thinking a spec 944 car would be nice since its mostly stock drivetrainwise.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:04 PM
M758
Race Director

Spec cars are great to start with. Still plenty of work to do, but they provide a nice place to play. If you want to go futher later on you can go for fiber glass and and built motor.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:48 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not trying to be an ***, but a communal track car isn't really a great idea if too many people are involved. If everyone puts their sweat equity and $$$ into the car and then someone ***** it up, everyone else will feel like they are owed something. Then friendships can quickly deteriorate...

Just something to think about up front.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Danno
Race Director

No crashing allowed or you're out of the club!

We should start a fund where those driving the car pays a rental fee. Just like those arrive & drive programs... Goes towards buying consumable like gas, tyres, brake-pads, pizzas for the whole crew on wrenching days, babysitters...

Trending Topics

Old 04-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Hookers. . .
Old 04-19-2005, 04:27 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Danno...great idea with the fund!

I'm pretty new here, but I'm good behind the wheel and I'm interested! Wish I'd have known...I just basically gave away a rolling '88S chassis! Oh well. I'm planning an engine swap in my '88 NA soon (perhaps 2-3 months?), and I would be willing to donate my 100k mile 10.2:1 CR engine to the cause. I can also get pretty deep discounts (company cost) from a variety of vendors...Koni, Energy Suspension, Sparco, Hawk, Brembo, Fidanza, etc etc etc etc. I'd be glad to help in the pits, but I'd love wheeltime too! I'm looking at getting my comp license in the near future.

On a side note...any of you local guys have a set of stock injectors lying around, possibly that I could pick up tonight (Tuesday)? Drop me a line, or better yet, call my cell and let me know (949 735 7761). Late injectors preferred, but Early will work too. I can't afford the downtime and I want to take my injectors down to RC this week to get cleaned. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

n/a injectors? Yea I think I have a set you can borrow. I'll look in my mess tonight.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Smile

No hookers! Yup, Legoland is the donor, and you can thank him!

If he feels we need a Corp., then whatever. I thought disclaimers may be enough, I can do some hunting. S Corp may be enough, if it's necessary.

Since Legoland has done the majority of the donations and labor, the car is going to stay under his control. He's been very, very GENEROUS with us all with help & knowledge, I don't see why I'd suddenly change my mind with him.

I don't perceive any problems, unless people don't help out enough to finish the damn car, that's all. We will need parts, and to put them on, and then maintain them. I think a surcharge on driving is an idea, I'll have to work this out; you have gas, hauling the car to the track (more gas, and on a trailer, pulled by a truck). Food an drinks for the pit crew and drivers, and if we spend the night.

I think that's another point you all may be missing: Legoland would probably be hauling it around, unless someone else has a trailer? He is the MAIN support here, and all he's asking for is help in making this a reality, and those who invest parts, money & time get to drive it at some point.

Other good thing about the way we're setting this up: engine or something breaks, we can fix it. That way, not out of a car, and it's not someone's every day driver, leaving them abandoned!

Keep ideas rolling, I'll hammer it out.

- Julie
Old 04-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I agree Frank is definately the point guy here and his generousity is amazing. I'm really not looking for anything out of it other than some good times, a good learning experience and possibly a place to finish my project (although I'll pay rent for that). Fine by me. I only suggested the corporation thing to cover his *** in case the car gets wrecked on the track some day and someone ends up getting injured or killed. I don't mean to be morbid, but crazy things happen sometimes and unlike me, he DOES have something to lose like his property. I know you carry insurance, but do you honestly trust 'em to cover you when you need them? I wouldn't. His call, but it might be worth discussing with one of our legal scholars.

Honestly if I work on the car and someone crashes it yea I'll be disappointed and probably give 'em a dope slap, but honestly in any situation like that the important thing is the driver walks away. As long as that happens, really who gives a ****? Cars can be fixed and with the crew we've got, I ain't worried about that. We've got a lot of enthusiasm, energy, and willingness to help out from the sound of it. As long as everyone's cool with that and check the egoes at the door, I don't see the problem.

Kudos to Frank for putting this together - it's truly amazing.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:37 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Good points raised for sure.

Frank, thanks so much for doing this for everyone! No matter what happens, this will certainly be a great learning experience for everyone involved...learning about racing, about the cars, and about ourselves! It should be a lot of fun to boot. This will also give a lot of us the opportunity to get our feet wet in the racing world, when we might not have been able to get involved financially on our own. Making this a group effort will allow us to get involved at a level we probably wouldn't have been able to by ourselves.

I think we need to make ourselves a little race team, and actually try to be competitive. That's my .02!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:02 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Maybe us NorCal guys need to build a car also and then we can have a SoCal vs. NorCal Rennlist spec 944 shootout!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:22 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Chris,

That would be insanely fun if we could make that happen!

Quick Reply: West Coast Wrenchers' Track Car!