Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque tube bearing replacement- automatic. PET help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Torque tube bearing replacement- automatic. PET help please!

Going thru the PET for an automatic is a bear. I'm looking to replace all bearings (front and rear) for the Torque Tube. I've located this P/N for the rear:
#13 - 082-409-139 Needle Bearing.

Am I looking at the right bearing?
I'm also at the "as long as I'm in there" aspect. Should I replace ALL of the bearings on the TT? (I think 2, one front and one rear- the documenrtation on automatics is sketchy.. ) I really need to get these on order ASAP.
Also is there a bearing cross-reference to Timken or other Mfr?

Andy- dont yell at me!!

Can anyone shed some additional light?

Thanks In Advance.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:26 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC according to porsche the TT is a non servicable part which is why you probably can't find any of the part numbers in PET. Best thing to do is to knock the bearings out and then take them to an autoparts store and cross reference the numbers. I believe they are pretty common so you should be able to get them in a day or two. Here is a write up someone sent me way back in the day on how to R&R TT bearings. It's for a 924 but the basic procedure should be the same.

You will need to remove the transmission, and also drop the rear suspension. There really is no other way to get it out. The bearings are made by ***, but my replacements were made by SKS. The four bearings cost me a total of fifty US dollars. The bearings are press fit into the housings they live in. I paid twenty dollars to have a machine shop RR the bearings from the housings. The bearings might be available at an outo parts shop, but only if you have the bearing number from the old bearing. Since the torque tube is not considered rebuildably by Porsche ( who would rather screw us) the auto supply place would not have the bearing listed in theier catalogs. a bearing supply place would be better.

Once you have the tube stand it up vertical, with a drip pan underneath. Pour in a cup of motor oil, let stand over night. it will get things slippery inside. No longer than over night, because you do not want the oil to soak the rubber parts inside.

Next, get a 5 foot length of half inch id electrical conduit. this fits over the actual drive shaft, where the pilot bearing would be. Now hammer on the conduit until the shaft is driven out the other end of the tube. Now measure and record exactly where the bearing shells are located. You will want to reinstl them in the same location later. Once this is done, get a 5 foot section of 2 inch id PVC drain pipe from the plumbing store. Drive that pipe out the other end with a heavy hammer. the bearings will come loose now.

Clean everything up well. it might be good to clean the bearing housing with dishwashing liquid.

you will notice a nylon bushing inside each bearing. remove them carefully, I cannot imagine trying to get a replacement.

Now have the bearing pressed out from the housing and replaced.

Installation is done by making the outside of the rubber housings slippery with dishwashing liquid, then pressing each one back into place with the drain pipe. Make sure that the bearings end up in close to the same place, or the torque tube will vibrate. Last of all, drive the drive shaft into place by whacking on the big end of the driveshaft. A block of wood between the shaft and the hammer is reccomended.

This would be a good time to replace your clutch, since you will never have as much room to work. It is also a good time to drop the gas tank for cleaning and to replace all the rubber hoses that make the car smell.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Perfect. EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Thanks for the prompt Reply- Rennlist at its BEST!

I thought I was going completely nuts as I was unable to find it, considering the myriad of manuals I have !!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:59 AM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Chris 924s are you looking for the procedure for a automatic or manuale? it seems that the write up is for a manuale, however I'm probobly mistaken.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

The 5 spd is very well documented- the autos arent, hence the title.
Anyone have a good AUTOMATIC TT from a parts car? Tod- I'll PM you shortly.

I may just see whats at Hershey and NOT drive the 924S.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:20 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That write up is for a manual but from what I've seen the automatic torque tubes are pretty much the same in construction. It's just a big long tube with a shaft suspended by a couple of bearings.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

I think Travis at Rennbay has the bearings, they can be hard to get in the right clearance. If you get the standard clearance ones, they get too tight when hot and wear out fast.

If you get a used TT you might consider at least replacing the bearing that fails first. I think it's the rear bearing? The TT is not a part I'd want to replace with a used part, unless you just want to fix the car so you can sell it and do not care if the TT starts making noise in six months.

-Joel.

Last edited by Jfrahm; 04-18-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Joel, I may have to get a used TT and replace the bearings, then install.

This car is being kept for a while.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:46 PM
gratian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where I can find PET to download?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gratian
You can now purchase one from the Dealer. PM sent.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:30 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Chris,
If I'm not mistaken, the only difference between the 5-speed tt and the automatic, is the cut in the end of the tube for the c-clip to hold the dampner assembly in. If this is correct, the bearings will be the same.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

true, afaik. but- do you have a spare TT for an auto layiong around I can rebuild?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:23 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Yes, I do have a couple of good TT. Price won't be that bad. I could probley meet you in KY somewhere, to save you on the shipping. Halfway, I think would be north of Bowling Green.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:47 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Originally Posted by gratian
Even talking about how to "aquire" a copy of the PET on Rennlist is a mortal sin.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Cool Todd.. i'll be back with ya after Hershey.

FWIW I have already admonished Gratien in a PM ...

Quick Reply: Torque tube bearing replacement- automatic. PET help please!