Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air in clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:14 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air in clutch?

usually my clutch pedal pops down to about 1/4 of the way down(free play), then the clutch finally engages. the other day, it was kinda cold, and when i was backing up, i barely let my clutch pedal out and the car jumped. i did it again, and the car jumped again, i put it in first and it jumped again with barely any travel. i pulled up on the clutch with my foot, and it is now back to "normal(the already messed up way it was)". doesthis still describe air in the line? i thought that since the pedal was always engaging at the same point, that it was a mechanical problem.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:19 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

if there is air in the line, the clutch pedal will go down and not pop back up
Old 04-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the symptoms of when my clutch slave blew out... Any odd smells, mysterious smoke, or anything? what about puddles under the center of the car? Try bleeding, and when you're down there, feel around in the clutch inspection hole for any dampness...

Good luck!
-G
Old 04-19-2005, 10:34 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

this is a new slave and dmaster. it pops down all the time, it stays to where it is. the time when i was leaving my friend's house......i stepped on it, and it stayed about 3/4 the way to the floor.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Wildporscheguy
Intermediate

Default Occasional soft clutch pedal

I am experiencing a similar problem. I had my slave and master cylinder replaced about 6 months ago. It's been just fine until the past few days when several times the pedal has not come back up all the way. The clutch actually still seems to work ok but definetly was not coming all the way up. I don't think it is a air problem cause it seems like that would be all the time. Let me know if you find the problem. Maybe we can compare where we got our parts.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:15 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i think mine were form pelican. yess my clutch atcually seems to work fine.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:39 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me last year. The cause was the flexible hydrolic line that runs between the master cylinder and slave cylinder had a small hole in it and was leaking fluid and letting air get into the system. I would bleed the system and it would fix the problem for a little while but then it would return and be just like you describe. Finally I replaced the line, it was like $30 from some local parts place. BTW the line is located along the firewall, it is the line that feeds into the slave cylinder.

I think this could also be caused just by having air in the system. The clutch is after all a PITA to bleed. Do a search I have posted a couple times how to properly bleed it.

-John

Quick Reply: air in clutch?