Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix windshield washer squirters

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to fix windshield washer squirters

I've been plagued by non-functioning windshield washer squirters for a while on my 951 which is an annoyance to say the least. Not terrible or a show-stopper, but enough to bug me. I finally spent some time last night with this problem and got it settled. I'd recommend that anyone else with the same problem simply find the plastic "tees" where the hoses come together (there's one on the passenger's side, the one on the driver's side is the same except it's an "L" not a "T"). The piece incorporates a check valve / diaphragm and spring in a small chamber that I'm guessing is supposed to open under pressure from the washer motor - mine weren't. I had to blow into them very hard (or used compressed air) to cause them to open, so I suspect they were too strong for the washer motor to overcome the springs and the diaphragms remained closed with nothing coming out the nozzles. I simply (for now) popped open the tees (it's relatively easy to do - the two halves separate) and removed the diaphragm / spring assembly, then just put it back together and hooked all the lines back up. I blew out all the lines with compressed air and now everything works perfectly.

I know this isn't techincally a "correct" fix and Porsche put those check-valve thingys in there for a reason (probably to keep fluid from draining back down to the reservoir for more "instant" response by the system is my guess) but if you have ones that don't work, try it. I may order new tees from the dealer to see if they're a little less stiff. Perhaps the motor strength wears out over time as well, but that seems a bit odd for an electric motor.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:12 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "problem" with the windshield washers is that the wipers come on at the same time. In "other" cars you can run the washers to flood the windshield first then turn the wipers on-off as necessary. To fix this you have to modify the steering column switche contacts. Can be done but is a pain.

The 83
Old 04-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I've noticed that too. It's probably worthwhile in doing so you're not dragging dry blades (and dust, bird poop, leaves, twigs, dead bug guts and whetever else is on your windshield at the time) across it and scuffing up the glass. Have you done it?
Old 04-15-2005, 11:27 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

If the dealer is too expensive, I got mine from Automobile Atlanta pretty cheap.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:27 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great. I'm reminded of ANOTHER "quirk" that Porsche designed into our cars! How hard was it to make a working windshield wiper washer system?? Mine sprays after the wipers have started, and If I hold the spray long enough, the wipers speed up to silly speed and the fluid flys all over the paint, removing my wax!
Old 04-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Easy solution to that - just use water. Screw that blue junk that just leaves spots. Water dries just fine and won't leave streaks on the window any less than an alcohol-based cleaner will if it's squeegeed off properly. I don't know how well it works on bug guts, but there aren't that many bugs out here to care - just dust mostly.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:00 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I need to review my mod. See if it's just as applicable to the later 944's. There is a set of contacts in the switch that runs the pump as well as trigger a timing circuit in the wiper relay. Think I had to disable the contacts in the column for the relay timing circuit as this is also tied into the regular wiper relay delay circuit. Otherwise I would have just pulled a wire out of the connector plug or at the fuse/relay block. Might be another way to disable this by using a modified/alternate relay.

The 83
Old 04-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

If not I'll just do it on my early car. I think it'd be better to have the squirters run for a half-second or so and then have the wipers kick on like you said. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:39 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Easy solution to that - just use water. Screw that blue junk that just leaves spots. Water dries just fine and won't leave streaks on the window any less than an alcohol-based cleaner will if it's squeegeed off properly. I don't know how well it works on bug guts, but there aren't that many bugs out here to care - just dust mostly.
Sure, for you Cali boys. But remember, most of us live in hostile climates where the temp goes below freezing. Just plain water won't work.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

You could dilute it a little bit if needed - remember also that the squirters are heated (although the bottle and lines aren't - except by engine bay temps).
Old 04-15-2005, 12:47 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey P-O-P: I did the same thing to my car a few years back. I talked to a mech about the purpose of these check valves and he just said they were for a more instant shot. As opposed to the fluid draining all the way back into the washer tank after each use. These valves get clogged over time with crap, especially wax products! And up here in the north east we actually need to use these washers with all the snow and crap. Some states even have it as part of a saftey check for inspection.

Another source of these for cheap was tweeks, a dollar or two a piece.

Later!
Erich
Old 04-15-2005, 12:48 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Sure, for you Cali boys. But remember, most of us live in hostile climates where the temp goes below freezing. Just plain water won't work.

All the more reason to have the squirters come on first to flood the windsheild with anti freeze cleaner. Breaks the wipers loose first so the wiper motor doesn't burn out. Heated squirters too.

The 83
Old 04-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

True, and windshield wiper fluid gets all sudsy so it can remove all the crud. Water doesn't do as good a job.
I'm pretty sure my headlight washers are clogged or something, but I couldn't care less. What a useless option on our cars. I'm going to delete them when I do my front end mod, so they will be up for sale.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

The headlight washers are not that hard to fix, but it's involved. On mine, one of the elbows was broken so I had one washer that was working fine and the other that was just gushing fluid out of the dangling hose (and busted-off part of the washer nozzle that was still inside it) everytime I used it. The replacement nozzles are cheap - about $10 or $15 at the dealership IIRC, but to replace the nozzle you have to remove the nose of the car. Not that big a deal - it can be done in less than an hour. You need to remove the batwing and the 10 bolts that attach the nose to the fenders and bumper assembly, then pull straight out. It's also an excuse to clean off all the accumulated crud on all the wiring harnesses, intercooler, and other crevasses in there.

I actually like the headlight washers - they come in handy to get dust and mud off the lights. I'd also like to figure out a way to rotate them around and squirt pedestrians in crosswalks in front of me. . .

They're pretty powerful - they push more fluid / water than you'd think.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile

Water freezes in most places and then you are &#&#ed..

Quick Reply: How to fix windshield washer squirters