Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005 | 12:31 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Tyres

Some assistance please.
My 944 currently has Maxxis UA - 603 tyres. 225x15 back, 215x15 front. I have noticed that they are not that good in the wet. i.e. I am tending to slide and fishtail exiting roundabouts (Yes, I could go slower, but where would be the fun in that?).
The climate here is Tropical. That means that it rains a lot. A bloody lot. 200mm (8in) in a day is not unusual and doesnt cause any flooding etc.
What are the recommendations from the group re: tyres that are good in the wet? I will not have to replace these for at least 12 months, but I wont to figure out what is the best to buy next.

In addition.
My Fuchs wheels are fading and showing wear. I want to repaint them. What do you guys reccommend?
Thanks in advance
Old 04-13-2005 | 12:43 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Going to be tough for most of us to give advice, your tire line up is much different than that of AU. You might PM NZ951 as he is closer to you.

If they sell the Potenza G3 you might look at that. I am in the tire business but I am not incredibly familiar with the AU lineups.
Old 04-13-2005 | 03:23 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a link for whats available:
http://www.bobjane.com.au/Specials/PerformanceCars.asp
and another
http://www.goodyear.com.au/car-tyre-guide.htm
and another
http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/...reads/gIII.asp
I'll also go and talk to a dealer tommorrow.
Anybody know if I can use low profile radials?
Ta
Old 04-13-2005 | 07:29 AM
Danno
Race Director

"I have noticed that they are not that good in the wet. i.e. I am tending to slide and fishtail exiting roundabouts (Yes, I could go slower, but where would be the fun in that?).
The climate here is Tropical. That means that it rains a lot. A bloody lot. 200mm (8in) in a day is not unusual and doesnt cause any flooding etc.
What are the recommendations from the group re: tyres that are good in the wet? I will not have to replace these for at least 12 months, but I wont to figure out what is the best to buy next."

Hmmm, sounds like you've got some conflicting attributes in a tyre. You'll want deep channels to push the water out to get good gripe. But this will sacrifice dry cornering due to the flexing tread blocks. Yet you'll also want a soft compound for even more traction in the rain, possibly causing overheating and excessive wear in the dry...hmmm.... Perhaps a Bridgestone 520S or 540S or 55S tyre??? These are very popular in the Targa Tasmania. In 225/50-15 size would work out fine...
Old 04-13-2005 | 08:56 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ta
Ok
On my exel I am using Goodyear Regatta tyres. They are fantastic in the wet, you can actually feel them pull up the car as the back slides out. They also seem to last a hell of a long time. I realise that I now have a rear wheel drive car that probably(!) handles differently and has different requirements. I do not intend to race, rally or thrash (within reason) this car. It is my mid-life crisis vehicle and I will be driving everyday. There are 14 roundabouts between home and work. A lot are on the highway where the speed limit is 100kph (60mph) so they are approached at a reasonable speed. This is a bugger of a question and it would be nice to find a compromise. The best of both worlds so to speak.

And I repeat:
My Fuchs wheels are fading and showing wear. I want to repaint them. What do you guys reccommend?
Ta!
Old 04-13-2005 | 09:20 AM
Matt H
Race Director

If you are okay with the GY Regatta then just about anything will do, they are terrible tires.

Danno - RE55S is a competition tire, not something I would want in the rain. The RE520 is NLA and the RE540 is NLA for the most part.

G3 is a good way to go, excellent tire for what you are looking for.
Old 04-13-2005 | 10:07 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by beeg

And I repeat:
Ta!
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ish/fuchs1.htm
Old 04-13-2005 | 10:33 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt H
If you are okay with the GY Regatta then just about anything will do, they are terrible tires.

G3 is a good way to go, excellent tire for what you are looking for.
The Regatta on the exel is excellant. I have recommended it to various people and they are all wrapped in it. Remembering that the Hyundai is FWD and light with bugger all power.
Agree the G3 looks OK. Will have a talk to the tyre techs tommorrow.
Thanks
Old 04-13-2005 | 06:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Brian, I am just telling you what the tire data reveals. It is entirely possible that the Regatta you have in OZ is totally different construction or compounding that what we had in the US.
Old 04-13-2005 | 07:52 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt H
Brian, I am just telling you what the tire data reveals. It is entirely possible that the Regatta you have in OZ is totally different construction or compounding that what we had in the US.
Matt
No problem. I wasnt upset. If I ask for advice, it means that I dont know something so I dont get upset when people reply with stuff I dont possibly agree with.
Old 04-14-2005 | 12:05 AM
SS 951
Racer

I just purchased tires for my 951, and did a bit of research before the purchase. I ended up with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 and REALLY like them. They have a similar tread design to the AVS. At TireRack.com, there is a consumer review at the bottom of the page for each tire you wish to consider. Only 3 display initially, but click on the bottom section "Read all reviews" for a comprehensive list. I normally put more stock into a write-up from someone with a HP type car. These Goodyear's have rave reviews for dry roads, but especially wet roads too.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Eagle+F1+GS-D3

Ironically, these tires are made in Germany too.

Scott
Old 04-14-2005 | 08:02 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SS 951
I just purchased tires for my 951, and did a bit of research before the purchase. I ended up with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 and REALLY like them. They have a similar tread design to the AVS. At TireRack.com, there is a consumer review at the bottom of the page for each tire you wish to consider.

Scott
Mate
i got areal good quote on Bridgestone Portenzas from the dealer in town. Had a look at the tread. If theses things slip at any time, then, there is something wrong in the universe. LOL
It's not going to happen for another 6-8 months anyway, But thanks for the input.

:My Fuchs wheels are fading and showing wear. I want to repaint them. What do you guys reccommend?"
Much as I would like to spend hours with a toothbrush and paint stripper (NOT) on my wheels. I investigated alternatives. To repaint the Fuchs, about $70 per wheel. To repolish the chrome - unknown (but not expensive).
I would really like to do them myself. Not just for a financial advantage, but mainly cause it's my car!
Any suggestions on paint type? The paint is not that bad. just worn slightly. The chrome rims are in good nick. I tried a high quality silver polish on them today and had little or no effect. I'm thinking a Metal Polisher, maybe?
Ideas?

P.S. Byron just ran past my house!!!! LOL

Quick Reply: Tyres