Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP.........Snapped the timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 03:13 AM
my84-944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP.........Snapped the timing belt? UPDATED

Noticed a weird grinding noise and about 30 seconds later the car died. Never heard the valves crunch, but I am not sure if you ever do. I know that several people here have busted a belt, so my question is:
Do you hear the valves smash into the pistons?
Also the engine will still turn over but not start and while cranking you hear what sounds like a belt slapping the inside of the cover. As I do have my cover in place and this happened in the dark (just like it is supposed too) I could not check the belts. Could this be something else? Since the engine turns over?
Or is that just wishful thinking?
I may now be looking for a Head, so if anyone out there has a hook up in Portland or elsewhere for a 8V 2.5L head, please let me know. Any advice and or information would be greatley appreciated.
Thanks all.
EDIT.................................................................... ..............................
OK well after much swearing and hand scraping I got the timing cover off. Imagine my surprise when the timing belt was NOT in fact broken at all and in fact looked fairly good considering. What was not in good shape was my Camshaft belt tensioner. The ball berrings actualy fell out of the cover when I took it off, along with what was left of the race. Looked like a bread tie all twisted. The tensioner actual just came off when I pulled on it as it was sitting on the shaft loose. The lock nut was still on the end of the shaft, but all of the guts from the tensioner were just, well gone. Not actualy gone but on the floor of my garage. This is strange to me and I was wondering if any of you had this happen to you? I am afraid that with all of the tension off of the belt, it no doubt slipped, causing it to die. It wouild appear that the PO or the shop where they had the belt done missed replacing the tensioner. I fear this will be a costly mistake. Also will this be something I need to treat like a busted belt, or is it a whole different can of worms? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Chris.

Last edited by my84-944; 05-17-2005 at 09:14 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 04-12-2005, 04:08 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, first things first...........stop cranking the engine over trying to start it! ( though, its most likely to late anyway). If the timing belt snapped, the engine will generally crank over with the starter much easier/faster, and will sound different when you turn the key to try and start it (lack of compression build up). Did you notice anything like this while cranking it? If you shine a flashlight into the little hole to the right of the distributor cap, you can see if the belt is still on the camgear. Doesn't mean it isn't stripped (generally on the crank sprocket), but just verifies its still there. It sounds like a broken belt, but your going to have to remove the front covers and look before you try to start it again, and even after looking I'd turn the crank with a socket, see if the cam gear moves with it, and make sure the timing marks on the cam gear and flywheel align properly before hitting the starter anymore. Maybe the balance shaft belt broke, bound up the cam belt, and stripped some teeth on it. You'll have to look in depth to know. Oh boy! Good luck!
Old 04-12-2005, 06:09 AM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Russell may be able to help you. Check out:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=154810
Old 04-12-2005, 02:20 PM
my84-944
Racer

Thanks Granite and ACG,
It looks like I may be doing the work myself. I have been calling around all morning and the price quotes for the work have been anywhere from 1500.00 to 4000.00. One guy said to take it to a junk yard (what an A$$HOLE)
Any words of advice? I have the shop manual from clarks and the Haynes, but any experience input would be great.
Thanks again,
Chris.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:23 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It's going to be tough to get an accurate quote without getting the head off.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:30 PM
my84-944
Racer

I know that is why the 1500.00 will no doubt go up.
I still think the only way I can do this is to do it myself..I hope.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Super easy job, get a rebuilt head, install it and all new belts/rollers/WP and you are done.

Trending Topics

Old 04-12-2005, 02:42 PM
my84-944
Racer

That is what I was hoping. Local shop quoted 19 hour job and more he was sure..
Matt, I am looking in Pelican for a head now. Do you know of any for 2.5 8V?
Old 04-12-2005, 02:43 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
Super easy job, get a rebuilt head, install it and all new belts/rollers/WP and you are done.

I like that idea. How often do the pistons get damaged in these events?
Old 04-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Just about any place can rebuild yours. Remove it, inspect for damage, have all valves replaced (you could just replace the bent one but why?), have it cleaned flow tested and decked, reinstall. Rebuild should only cost a few hundred dollars.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Depends on when the belt breaks, how fast the motor was turning, etc. I would say that maybe 2-10 or so. Someone who has parted a bunch of them might have a better feel.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:47 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Lindsey has rebuilt heads also.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are that you bent a fiew valves. Get new valves and take the head to a machine shop. Have them install the valves. Go ahead and order the valves seals too and take them with you. Get a head gaskit kit and the front end kit. Paragon parts was great. You can call them and they will run through a list of what you need. Do the work yourself and you can get out for under a grand. Way under depending on what the machine shop charges you to do the valves. Don't buy a used head it may need seals and valves too. The only time I think you should get another head is if you overheated and your is out of spec. The job is not that hard, just take your time and remember. If you bust a knuckle please don't hit the car with your tools, that just creates more work. And the mechanic that said take it to a junk yar.. That is moron for (I don't know anything about no dang Porsha)
Old 04-12-2005, 02:58 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Or 944 Online
Old 04-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Machine shop here in town will charge me $90 to do the valve job.

Quick Reply: HELP.........Snapped the timing belt?