Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I pulled a Rock move today.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005 | 10:25 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default I pulled a Rock move today.

I pulled a Rock today. Yes I am a lummox.

I had an appointment to take the S2 to get teched for next weeks DE. I bought ZMans Stable Energy FE mount and instead of leaving it in the box, I took it out and last night put the black FE mount on the black of the hatch/spoiler so I could show it to the tech, and promise it would be installed.

I start the car with the drivers door barely closed, it rattles, I back out and notice the bra in the box on a shelf. I go to close the garage and grab the bra. I push the button to open the hatch. I assumed the rattling was the not completly closed drivers door. I walk to the back of the car, and while I am taking the three steps to the back of the car (getting this is slow motion, right) the hatch starts to open. the car had 54996 miles on it. the hatch struts are still good.

I grab the spoiler from the side and assist the struts to raise the hatch. as the hatch starts to go up I hear a eeerie scraping sound. Being the bull in the china shop I am, I dont stop, but keep opening the hatch. about a half second after the hatch started going up I hear something scrape against the hatch glass.

Suddenly I realize the scraping sound is the FE mount on the glass. Before I could react (it was not icy on the glass by the way) I hear three bangs as the FE mount hits the roof, then bounces off the corner of the flare of the rear quarter.

Two or three chips, and maybe a ding or two later the FE mount safely rests on the ground with the chip of paint it took with it.

See Rock, age and self proclaimed wisdom does not insulate one from bonhead moves.
Old 04-09-2005 | 10:44 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

The vehicle has to be moving to pull a rock. Also you get style points if you hit something and bring it home. In addition, damage has to be noticeable from at least 20 ft. away.

There are rules.
Old 04-09-2005 | 10:45 PM
MTM
Pro

What's an FE mount?
Old 04-09-2005 | 10:49 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTM
What's an FE mount?
Fire Extunguisher mount

good thing the fire extinguisher wasn't on there too or you could have had even MORE fun if it started spraying when it hit the ground. haha what a funny image.
Old 04-09-2005 | 11:20 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I left my gas cap on the rubber spoiler once. (or twice.. )

Lookin' in my rear view 30 seconds after I leave the gas station:
"WTF? Why is my gas flapper open? (lightbulb comes on) Ahhhhh F**K!!!"
So I go back to find my gas cap in the middle of the road across from the gas station! LOL

we all have our retard moments..
Old 04-09-2005 | 11:28 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Ouch, that kinda sux Tom. Got any pics of the damage.

I almost pulled a rock today too (no offense bud) but can't remember for the life of me what it was
Old 04-09-2005 | 11:30 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by WesM951
Ouch, that kinda sux Tom. Got any pics of the damage.

I almost pulled a rock today too (no offense bud) but can't remember for the life of me what it was
its a small chip where the roof and the hatch meet, and another chip where theree usually is one from a dingbat gas station attenant. I think the ding was there from a gas station attendant.

not worth pictures, no souveniers.
Old 04-09-2005 | 11:36 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Dingbat - lol. Reminds me of "All in the Family." The only old show I can bare...

That sucks Tom!
Old 04-10-2005 | 12:38 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

No extra points awarded-- unless you did a Olympic Gymnastic finish to your feat complete with fake cheers and applause.

To be a true "Rockism" afterwards you must utter two never before combined words as a exclamation. Which seem to turn immediately funny.
Old 04-10-2005 | 12:59 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Rock points are awarded, although your move did not endanger lives or cause panic, you still get Rock points. You did body damage. That earns yourself some Rock points. You would have gotten bigger rock points if you left the hatch unlatched, drove a little bit and slammed on the brakes to send the mount flying. The judges love flying stuff.

When its all said and done, you also have to finish up with what Chris said... getting out of the car and saying something like "OH Heisses NUTS" or even added another language and said "Nortem *****" would be acceptable.

Lol! Good post though, I hope that dings dont cost a lot of money to fix. Body damage is a pain. Take it from me.
Old 04-10-2005 | 01:07 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
we all have our retard moments..

A BIG AMEN! TO THAT!
Old 04-10-2005 | 02:44 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Bah! Try putting your glasses (the only pair you own) on the spoiler before you go out at mid ohio, and never find them again.
Old 04-10-2005 | 02:53 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Bah! Try putting your glasses (the only pair you own) on the spoiler before you go out at mid ohio, and never find them again.

HaHaHa.......sounds like something I could do!
Old 04-10-2005 | 03:00 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Haha, this thread is hilarious.
I needed a good laugh...
See Rock? You bring joy to people's lives
Old 04-10-2005 | 03:08 AM
icat
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rock
You would have gotten bigger rock points if you left the hatch unlatched, drove a little bit and slammed on the brakes to send the mount flying. The judges love flying stuff.

While playing crew chief for a rider in the 1989 Race Across America (RAAM - Bicycle race from LA to Savanah, GA) - I put my duffle bag on top of the van and forgot it was there. When I drove off the bag went flying and was smashed to bits by a Semi Truck. Inside was a gold medal the rider had been given for making it to the half way point. There was nothing left.
Luckly not everyone made it to the half way point, so the officals were able to replace the medal.

Quick Reply: I pulled a Rock move today.