Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which dead presidents house? + one question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a insane hairpin turn. Whats very cool about it is that its a fairly moderate incline as well. Its worth taking a ride out to just to check it out...however i wouldnt recommend doing any super crazy on it as its a blind corner and the opposite wall (which you would be sliding into if you lost control or understeered) is made of solid stone. I am going to try and take a few pictures of it this weekend...it really is awsome.

Another nice road in the Oyster Bay which is about 10-minutes away is Sandy Hill road. Its something straight out of the BestMotoring 'Touge' battles if you have ever seen those.

Whether or not its worth the ride out is up to you on how bored you are. Its fairly close to downtown Huntington which is a nice place to hang out at night.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:31 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Its a insane hairpin turn. Whats very cool about it is that its a fairly moderate incline as well. Its worth taking a ride out to just to check it out...however i wouldnt recommend doing any super crazy on it as its a blind corner and the opposite wall (which you would be sliding into if you lost control or understeered) is made of solid stone. I am going to try and take a few pictures of it this weekend...it really is awsome.

Another nice road in the Oyster Bay which is about 10-minutes away is Sandy Hill road. Its something straight out of the BestMotoring 'Touge' battles if you have ever seen those.

Whether or not its worth the ride out is up to you on how bored you are. Its fairly close to downtown Huntington which is a nice place to hang out at night.
I love to drive so it sounds worth the trip. What are the directions to get there. Sort of familiar with the area. Bought my first 944 from Phil so have been there a few times.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:35 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan, i dont know the specific street names. Where are you coming from, Seaford/Oysterbay, Northern State, LIE? I can draw a MS Paint map out tomorrow when i get some free time. If your around one weekend, maybe we can meet somewhere easy to find and you can follow me through the area.

Here are some vauge directions for the places i mentioned. To get to Sandy Hill road you want to somehow get to the Berry Hill Road / 25A intersection. Their is a police station on the corner. If your going west on 25A you will want to make a right turn at the intersection. I am not sure of this exact street name but i believe its Berry Hill still. You want to go north on Berry Hill for about 3/4-1 mile. Berry Hill will branch off to the left, however you still have the option to essentially stay straight. Go striaght, and that is Sandy Hill. Its fairly windy with one very sharp left turn, so i would really advise taking it easy that first time around or atleast until you know the route very well. Also note its pretty narrow and has reasonable traffic during the day...so i would only venture out at night when you can see oncoming headlights from around the turns. Its only about a mile long, but its a fun mile!

Snake Hill road (the hairpin) is right off Main Street in Cold Spring Harbor. Depending which way you are coming you will come up to a traffic light with a firestation. Turn left or right (again depending on where are coming from) and follow this road all the way around the harbor. You will come up to a dead end. Turn right onto Snake Hill. You will know the street as its a fairly steep hill you need to go up until you reach the hairpin. Do a u-turn somewhere farther down and enjoy the ride down. I must really stress that you not push it or do any 'spriited' driving on this road at all. Its tight and has far to many sharp blind turns. On the above road you can see a fair amount of ahead of you for oncoming traffic through the brush and trees. This road you fly completely blind. Not to mention the hairpin is also a fairly steep hill which can result in unexpected handling of your car. Just enjoy the cruise through it.

Now that i think about it, another great scenic road is Sleepy Hollow in Huntington also. Its right off Jericho Turnpike. About two miles long...and windy as hell. Whats great about it is that the end of the road leads you right towards the LIE.

But in all seriousness. Learn the roads before you get spirited on them. I have seem atleast three cars in two years that have flown off the road (on the same sharp left turn i mentioned) into the trees on Sandy Hill.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:56 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jon - While I was reading the beginning of your post I was thinking of Sleepy Hollow Road. I grew up in Bethpage and used to drive that road all the time. We would call it Mount Misery as there were stories going around that there was a guy who had escaped from a mental institution living in the woods and was going around killing people. With my great sense of direction however, I found that road as I was coming off the expressway and loved driving it, not realizing that it was the same road that I was scared to go down if I approached it from Old Contry Road. once I realized they were the same road my love for driving won out over my fear and I would drive it frequenty. That waswhen I was in my early twenties. I did actually drive it a few weeks ago. Still great.

Quick Reply: Which dead presidents house? + one question