Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Normally Aspirated Engines!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:32 PM
randyvitaha
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Normally Aspirated Engines!!!

What are some ways that you can make this car faster without turbochargers? Is there a way you can peak this car with out superchargers and stuff?
Open to any suggestions.
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:37 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i've seen headers exhaust and LR intake are the main things, if you wanted to get serious port and polish etc. etc. but it doesnt take long to get to the price of what a 951 in good condition costs
Old 04-07-2005, 09:49 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the price of a 951, you can do lost of work and maybe hit 180hp - 190hp at the engine.

This is why most people go to forced induction.
Search for "More power N/A" and there's tons of threads on the subject.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:57 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by randyvitaha
What are some ways that you can make this car faster without turbochargers? Open to any suggestions.
Thanks!

1) Learn to drive it well
2) Reduce the weight.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To get more power in the upper RPM range of the S2 and more peak HP you can remove the intake cam and replace it with another exhaust cam. However doing so will cause you to loose low end power and will cause a rough idle. You can also add N20 to the car but it will need custom chip/plug change etc..

On the 8V N/A you can do a 50shot wet without moddification.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:00 PM
StupEd05
Pro

N2O!!! SSSHHHH!!! You will wake the modification anti-rice nay-sayers!!! lol, despite what you will prolly hear from some around here N20 is not a bad thing, in fact a very good thing when done smart and tastefully. A 50 shot should be plenty... for now! considering that it can actually be very safe on our cars and that the cost is VERY reasonable I would look at it as a viable option. You are tracking it right? N2O on the street is a bad thing!
Whats that? No turbo lag? Ah, thats right, its N2O... but be careful!

IIRC the early NA's have forged internals, right? Making it safer to inject the engine right?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:32 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by StupEd05
You are tracking it right? N2O on the street is a bad thing!
Whats that? No turbo lag? Ah, thats right, its N2O... but be careful!

IIRC the early NA's have forged internals, right? Making it safer to inject the engine right?
Well,
if you don't use N2O on the street where? I can't see how you would use it effectivly at race track and what point is there to have a 944 NA at drag strip?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:56 PM
erics944
Racer

sell the na and buy a turbo
Old 04-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

N2O is one way to get some performance in an NA. Otherwise you could easily spend $4k on a cam, header, exhaust, and lots of porting and get 30 HP. You approach S2 Performance for the price of an S2 plus all the hassle of modding, and without the better chassis and higher insurance/resale valuation.

-Joel.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a Porsche Driver's ED near your area. By the end of it you will realize that your car has more potential than you thought. If this is a Daily driver learn to take her to her limits and enjoy. The NA engine costs $$$ to get performance out of and even with investing a lot of cash you are still going to have less HP than a turbo.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:13 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
N2O is one way to get some performance in an NA. Otherwise you could easily spend $4k on a cam, header, exhaust, and lots of porting and get 30 HP. You approach S2 Performance for the price of an S2 plus all the hassle of modding, and without the better chassis and higher insurance/resale valuation.

-Joel.
Yeah but how long does the bottle last?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Baron009
Pro

There's a few things you can do to give your n/a a bit more edge. Exhaust, headwork (this seems to do the most), chips, and what not. The fact of the matter is unless you do any serious engine work - and even still - you're not going to really get too much extra power.

The n/a is not a drag car, nor is it something to impress people off the lights with. Thats not what you should buy this car for.

The best mods for the 944 tend to be the handling and suspension based ones. You're much better off dropping $ into handling. These cars can be demons in the corners. If you really want the extra umph to keep up with modern family sedans and compacts in the straights though I'd suggest doing some headwork.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting more power from an NA is a VERY common thread and there are multiple schools of thought on the subject. Some say "Add a Super Charger," others say "NoX is da bomb", and still others say "Ya shudda bought a 951."

What you should be asking is "What type of driving will I be doing?"

If you just want to cruise and snag the babes, then put the car in as close to perfect condition as you can afford, " 'cause every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man."

If you want to race, then you have to decide what type of racing you want to do, and what class you want to race in. BIG HINT: Unless you want to spend a ton on drive and power train mods, drag racing is O U T! The clutch and the Ring and Pinion gears are not suited for drag racing, period.

The 944 is a SPORTS car, and as such it is designed for road and endurance racing, on tracks like Watkins Glenn, Road Atlanta, VIR, and Roebling Road to name a few.

Once you have determined which class you will be running in, get the car mechanically sound and then have your local PCA Tech guys give it the once over. This "tech inspection" is needed to point out any items that you may have over looked, as well as to identify those items that may violate class or safety rules.

Once you have verified the car meets class and safety rules, your next stop is at a Driver Education or DE event. These events are conducted to teach you how to handle the car on the track, what the rules are, track etiquete, track safety, and so forth. This is money well spent.

As far as going fast goes, my old '84 and my current '87 NA will do nearly twice the legal limit (65 in some areas, 75 in others) in STOCK trim. No chips, no mods, nada. If 135+ ain't fast enough, then you have the wrong car.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:43 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Baron009
There's a few things you can do to give your n/a a bit more edge. Exhaust, headwork (this seems to do the most), chips, and what not. ....

If you really want the extra umph to keep up with modern family sedans and compacts in the straights though I'd suggest doing some headwork.
Headwork? What head work. There is nobody that does headwork that I know of that makes HP. Nobody. Now take an old work head and clean and bring it back to stock and you can get a couple hp that has been lost over the years.

Exhaust...
Well I believe the only place you can get power from the exhaust is by removing the CAT. In fact I think this might be the big power gain place from a 944 NA. By big I mean 8-10hp. However this is unconfirmed, but my stock 944 spec rebuild 944-spec motor made 16 more hp than a same year stock untouched 944 Motor. Differences were I had chip (2-3 hp), cleaned head (2-3hp), and running with no CAT (10? hp)

However even 10 hp wont make these cars fast in a straight line.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to have more RPM to make headwork effective..

Quick Reply: Normally Aspirated Engines!!!