Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear 944 Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 09:16 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear 944 Emblem

Couldn't really find what I was looking for on this.

My "9" on the 944 broke somehow, so I need to replace the emblem. Anyone have a good method for removing the old one and the remaining glue. And then making sure I install the new one in the right spot and straight.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:51 AM
chilix
Instructor

You could try using a heat gun to heat the glue up so that you can pull the emblem off. If you do this, be careful not to heat the paint too much or that will come off too. I don't know what else you could do.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:04 PM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default suggestions for replacing your emblem

I've never done this, but have suggestions anyway

I would suggest a couple of methods for keeping a record of your emblem placement.

Easiest? - measure from the panel seam immediately to the right of the emblem and write down. Then measure from either the top or bottom crease where the panel changes direction. You need at least two reference points.

Maybe (in the long run) easier? - Take a piece of paper and tape it to the rear of the car, covering the emblem and the seam to the right (with the hatch open). Then take a crayon and use the side to take an impression of the emblem, the seam to the right, and the top and bottom creases in metal. Make sure to capture as much detail as possible.

As chilix said, heat the emblem up with a hairdryer. Use a flexible putty knife/blade to pry it off without scratching your paint. You may even want to use a plastic blade. Clean up with mineral spirits.

When it's time to put the emblem back on, cut out the impression/outline of the emblem that you made on the paper as best you can being careful to preserve at least the top and one side as reference points. Then tape your paper on the car, being careful to exactly align all the impressions with their respective matching panel details.

Finally, simply apply your new emblem in the cutout area of the paper.

I've seen soooo many 944's with the rear emblem in the wrong place or not in exactly the right place, that I almost always assume that the rear has been repainted when I see one that's out of place.

Rick
Old 04-07-2005, 12:54 PM
ghost_rider_x
1st Gear

very simple..just did it yesterday. use a heat gun to start releasing the glue. get some dental floss, get behind the emblem and slider it under, emblem comes right up. clean up remnants with goo gone or similar product and your good to go. remember to wax after, goo gone takes everything off. later
Old 04-07-2005, 01:04 PM
BigRed
Pro

Originally Posted by ghost_rider_x
very simple..just did it yesterday. use a heat gun to start releasing the glue. get some dental floss, get behind the emblem and slider it under, emblem comes right up. clean up remnants with goo gone or similar product and your good to go. remember to wax after, goo gone takes everything off. later
That's a pretty intelligent first post. My first post was RETARDED...
Old 04-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Stuttgart 944
Racer

what's wrong with just 44?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:41 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just glue the 9 back on? Or better yet take all the numbers off. Confuses the crap out of metermaids and wannabe cops if they don't know what model porsche you drive.

Quick Reply: Rear 944 Emblem