Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel issues (please help me)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 11:48 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

nathan-

dont give up on the fpr just yet. I had a similar problem. If the cars like it dies when you really gas it hard (like hitting a rev limiter) then it may be fpr. I didnt think my fpr was bad because i replaced it with a buddys reportedly good one and it didnt help the problem. but turns out the shop I eventually took it too was so stumped they put a new fpr on and badda bing, case closed. sometimes throwing a new part at the problem really solves it.

from what i read in trying to fix this issue, my understanding was the bosch fuel pumps in these cars are incredibly reliable and typically do not go bad and when the fuel pump acts up its because something else is causing it to act up. Mine whined when I had the fpr problems. like a tiny vacuum running in the right rear of the car thats sucking through a slurpy. also the fuel filter could be an issue, but if yours has been replaced in the last 25-30K miles then I doubt it.

since i got my fpr issue fixed my car has run like a top. had it out for 90 miles yesterday and never backed down once when i goosed it. as good as new. and checking your fuel pressure when the car is not in the moment you are experiencing trouble only tells you so much. Your fuel pressure may be hosed only in those moments and will check fine all other times.

the fpr is a real booger. it turned my turbo into an na for three months and the mixture was all off. smoke outta the back, rough idle. what a turd.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still vote on trying the FPR, get one of those, they are not too expensive, and I'll help you swap it when I get a chance. Then we can go from there, start with the simple, easy jobs, then work your way up is what i always do.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:37 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the fuel filter thats in the circut after the fuel pump? Isn't the screen in the bottom of the tank the only line of defense for the fuel pump? I've seen a couple of really nasty and holy screens in the tank before from parts cars. They are replaceable for about $40.00 IIRC, and suppose they can be cleaned and reused if the screen isn't tore up, and a new gasket used. Just a thought regarding the noisy fuel pump.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:39 AM
rudidelange
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nathan944
Were you able to solve your groaning fuel pump problem? I have the same problem with a new groaning / wining fuel pump and the pressure in the fuel tank after driving for a long distance.

Quick Reply: Fuel issues (please help me)