Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing LED

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 02:10 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes factory alarm did not have the LED door lock buttons. You would need power to the LED's if you used the door lock switch as a relay. I didnt need new actuators with my alarm... its a NZ made one. And yes the LED buttons do stick up higher. I am thinking of grinding down the metal a little next time the panel is off.

I went with Infinity 6.5 components in the rear and JUST TODAY bought some Infinity 5.25 components to go in the front under arm rest panel. I will make a fibreglass plate to fill the 3.5 cavity to fit the 1" tweeters.

I need to know a 4 cannel amp that fits in the rear cubby...

PS really sorry whoever's thread this is for the OT stuff...

I expect some AMAZING sound from the finished sound setup.

Kenwood 4x6 front door (REALLY REALLY WANT A DOOR POD SETUP THOUGH)
Pioneer 1" tweeters in door panel
Infinity 5.25 components in under arm rest panel
Infinity 6.5 components in rear quater panel.
Attached Images      
Old 03-31-2005, 03:39 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NZ- I'll PM you for more on the stereo- sorry for the tangent guys....

As for the alarm- didn't most Porsche's w/factory alarms have the LED buttons? I mean, isn't this where they originally came from in the fisrt place? OK- so how does your alarm work? Can you press a button & have the windows roll up automatically & lock the doors & set the alarm- all w/push of a button? I'm wanting something much lower tech- something I can push a button that simply sets the alarm or defeats it, but, does not lock doors or roll windows, etc.... just simply on/off & I have to do everything else.... does this sound simple? anyone? Would like a flashing LED somewhere though- center would be fine...

Dan- thanks for starting the thread- are you now considering anything for an alarm after all this?

Everyone- I'll sell my 968 LED buttons if you want them for a decent price- would have to look it all up for reference, but, don't remember paying more than $40 for the pair.... would let them go cheaper....
Old 03-31-2005, 03:43 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, my doors lock and windows wind up when I hit the button. I can also unlock the rear hatch with the remote. The stock alarm I never bothered with even arming. It went straight away.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:40 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
Yup, my doors lock and windows wind up when I hit the button. I can also unlock the rear hatch with the remote.

I want one w/out that stuff.... just to turn off & on.... hey... when you replace actuators, etc, do the windows roll up & down more powerfully, or, is that something else entirely? My windows are so weak I would really rather have non-power ones like my 89 Integra.... of course, if I did this, I'd want to get rid of the power locks & get some custom door panels made to eliminate the switch area & then have someone actually make some real handles to pull the doors shut with from the inside.... Need a Japanese engineer to help here.... Integra door panels? hhhhhhhmmmmmmm......?
Old 03-31-2005, 07:34 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Robby
OK- How do you turn the LED on now that it is installed....?

edit- wait, are you saying you turn the rear wiper ON to turn the LED on? If so, that might be cool... would any of the other switches work? What about an extra window switch just re-located to that position? I actually burned a few wires down in there on the rear wiper switch when I removed it- long-*** story & I'm a complete electrical idiot...

BTW- Dan- what size front speakerrs do you have? I'm wanting to mount some 6.5's in early location (where 4x6's originally were) for my Turbo S- but, am wanting as much bass as possible -the damn dash cuts in & picnches most speakers there, so, would have to be very shallow- might not give much bass then- wondering if I should just stick w/5.25's under armrest like stock....? also wondering if I could get by w/anything else that would be a component up front & put out more bass...? TRied 6x8's under armrest- didn't work well.... anyway.... input? thanks for the LED idea- been wanting to do something like this for years- didn't realize other's had already done this.... :-)

As per blinking LED lock buttons- I bought some several years ago for my car to try to have these work instead of an alarm- I thought it would be a cool factory look idea too... it was more PITA than I wanted to get into- ALSO, the lock buttons I got were much longer than standard & when I screwed them into test the fit, they were up further when locked than the old ones were when UNlocked... I'll sell my pair to anyone who wants to try to make them work for a little less than regular cost & throw in S&H of course.... they're pretty small parts- I think I got the from Performacne Products when they did a 10% sale or something... one thing I DO remember- there were two dif types & one type was cheaper- I THINK the 968 was cheaper than 944 & I boguht t hose- if anyone is ingterested I'll dig them up & find actual part #'s, etc... PM me or whatever....

Robby- All i do is flick the rear wiper switch and the let goes on. Was easy to do. I am pretty sure you would be able to put window switches there too. You just have to get the wiring there. As for my speakers I have a late model interior and so far I have only been able to get 3" Boston Acoustic Components there. although they are great speakers and the sound crisp and clean I do not like the amount of base and am looking to try to get bigger components there. BA says I can buy just the woofer and crossover as the tweeter would be the same for their bigger models. If you have an early dash my '84 944 had Infinity 5 1/4 inch components in it. I had to make a spacer/brqackes and covered it in black carpet. Wasn't bad and sounded much fuller than my 3" components. If you want the spacers I have no use for them so let me know. I hae stock size 4x6 Infintiy plate speakers in the back with a sub in the rear from KLA and everything behind the front seats sounds great. Would like to get bigger speakers in rear too.

If anyone has any ideas for larger speakers in the fron of a late model interior I would love to know. I have no space under the armrest as far as I know.

Now back to alarm - Thinking about putting alarm in still but I don't really bring the car into areas where I would be worried. I like the added protection (or pseudo pretection) of the light. Alarm maybe in future if I have done everyting I want to do and still have money.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:40 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by NZ951

PS really sorry whoever's thread this is for the OT stuff...
It is my thread....... No problem
Old 03-31-2005, 11:43 AM
SDGuy
Instructor

Window switches are momentary switches (only on when you hold them down), so they would not be good for flipping the switch to turn on an LED.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:53 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by SDGuy
Window switches are momentary switches (only on when you hold them down), so they would not be good for flipping the switch to turn on an LED.
n
Thought he was talking about putting in a new switch.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:56 AM
SDGuy
Instructor

Robby had asked "OK- How do you turn the LED on now that it is installed...... would any of the other switches work? What about an extra window switch just re-located to that position?"
Old 04-01-2005, 03:06 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guys- yes, I meant to put a new window switch down there & use IT to turn the LED on & off.... didn't think about it though.... I was just asking b/c I have an extra one w/all of the white rubbed off- I'm really a little upset now- it occured to me last night that I might not be able to use the rear wiper wires under that switch- I DO still have that switch, but, when I removed the rear wiper, I did something wrong- don't remember how or what, but, I pulled the wiper arm off, etc, & the system thought the wiper was on or something & all of the sudden, the next time I'm driving the car, there was smoke coming from down under the switch- grounding prob or something- it's been YEARS- anyway, I pulled the switch & fuse as I was on my way to my mech's- he called me an "idiot" a few times & then cut the wire back a hair under there & told me what I did wrong- again, can't remember- I'm not quite sure how far up under there the wire is burned- might be a few inches- not sure if I can fix this.... hopefully.... this sounds like a really cool idea- does the light fit the switch holes really well?

thanks a lot for starting this thread- i've been wanting something like this since I ordered the LED lock buttons 3yrs ago....

I KNOW people have put 6.5's in that location- several people have, including Turbo Tim at SFR... And, as far as under the armrest, you can DEFINATELY get a 5.25"- that's what the Turbo S did- they just made a speaker grill for the door pocket in that section under the armrest to cover it all up- I have pics of it all if you want to see Dan- PM me your e-mail if interested- I can't stand trying to add pics here anymore.... It always takes me WAY too long for what it accomplishes...

Quick Reply: Flashing LED