Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing LED

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 01:27 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SDGuy
Why not install a keyless entry/alarm system for real if you are going to the trouble. I just put one in my 86 NA last week and it rocks. Putting actuators in the doors was much easier than I thought it would be.

I did put the alarm led in the very spot you are referring to. Looks great there. If you have your heart set on your flasher, get an automotive relay and have it tripped with 12v ignition while the car is on (so the LED is off). Then, when the car is off, the relay sends 12v to the led - so no switch/remembering required. Relay is standard Bosch type with:

pin 85 to ignition 12v
pin 86 to ground
pin 30 to battery 12v
pin 87a to + side of LED
The (-) side of the led goes to ground. Make sure the LED is a 12v type or you will need a resistor. I'm giving these directions off the top of my head, so no warranty- check you circuit yourself and refer to this bosch relay diagram: http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...osch/relay.htm
ps - the switch next to the mirror switch is a switch to lock and unlock the doors while driving. The alarm I got has ignition switched door locking - a very nice feature. The doors unlock on turning off the ignition.
What brand alarm did you get? What is the process (briefly) to put the acutators in the door? If you don't mind me asking...about how much did the alarm cost?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 02:08 PM
SDGuy
Instructor

Dan, I got the alarm from Circuit City - it was on sale for $50 but unfortunately the price went back up to $90 apparently:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Code-...oductDetail.do

Extra parts needed are about $34:
2 two wire actuators DLP62W - see http://www.12vp.com/item_dlp62w_ind.htm for description
4 bosch relays - OEM1
4 relay sockets - RS1
1 miniature spdt momentary rocker - RSM7-2E1
2 three amp diodes for parking light flash isolation
all of the above parts should be available from Audio Options, Gardena CA Ph 310-324-2799

BTW, 1 relay is for hatch release, 1 relay is for dome light supervision (30 second light after opening doors), and 2 relays are for door lock/unlock if you want to have a console switch for door lock/unlock. The diodes are for the parking light flash with arming/disarming/alarm. Our 944's have 2 separate parking light circuits - left and right - so diodes isolate the 2 systems.

As for installing the 2 actuators, this fellows' write up is best:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...wer+door+locks
Of course, he was just installing the switch without installing keyless, but the relay wiring is identical.

Good luck, SDGuy
Old 03-30-2005, 03:44 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

I know very little about diodes, relays... Is it something I should attempt? (I did put in my own stereo system sith sub and amp so I am not too dense).
Old 03-30-2005, 05:17 PM
SDGuy
Instructor

I can't say how you will find the process. I know more about electonics than cars. Removing the door panels and installing the actuators was the thing I was dreading - but it turned out to be pretty straighforward. The alarm itself comes with an installation DVD. I found the toughest part was getting to the ignition switch and headlight switch to connect the ignition, 12v, starter and parking light wires - it was a backbreaker getting under the dash. I soldered every connection rather than using those crimp on things since I didn't want any electrical gremlins later on. I had installed my own radio too and this is similar - but maybe 10 times the work. You also need to find a place for the small alarm control unit and the shock sensor. The alarm unit fit next to the DME under the passenger footwell. I also connected the ground wire to the DME cover bracket which is well grounded. The shock sensor got attached to the side of the glovebox. You do have to go through the firewall at the gromet behind the battery to run the siren wires. I mounted the siren behind the battery to an existing flange that happended to have an existing hole in it for the bolt.

The nice thing about these alarms is that you don't have to install every feature all at once. My main interest was the keyless door locking - I just got into it and finished the whole thing including the parking lights and starter disable. It has a cool chirp/double chirp for door lock/unlock.

The relays are there to apply 12 volts to the various systems. For example, those door actuators are pretty dumb devices. Apply 12 volts to one wire and ground the other and the plunger goes one way - reverse the connections and the plunger goes the other way. So you need 2 relays - one relay either sends out 12v or ground to one of the wires. The other relay sends out the opposite polarity to the other wire. The relays get tripped with a low current wire from the alarm control unit.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:44 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Wow that seems like a lot of work. Thik going to put it off for a bit but maye in the future. I would eventually like to have an alarm BUT.............

I got my flashing red LED to work. It cost a grand total of $2.99 plus tax. Hooked it up to the wiper switch since the wiper has been deleted. I might go for trying to have it turn on automatically when the car is turned off. A project for another day.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:39 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

I don't know the cost or if they will even fit on a 944, but 968s (maybe others also?) have the blinking LEDs inside the lock posts. Might be a clean factory part solution for those particular about non-OEM stuff on their cars.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:49 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by chris luckett
I don't know the cost or if they will even fit on a 944, but 968s (maybe others also?) have the blinking LEDs inside the lock posts. Might be a clean factory part solution for those particular about non-OEM stuff on their cars.
That would be awesome. Think going to check into that. then i might need a new switch hole filler for the console.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:00 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jeeper31
That would be awesome. Think going to check into that. then i might need a new switch hole filler for the console.
part # is 944 637 238 00
Old 03-30-2005, 11:06 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by chris luckett
part # is 944 637 238 00
Thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 01:07 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen a 944 on campus with a flashing LED in the lock post.. it may be part of an aftermarket alarm system though.. perhaps you could find lock posts that do that. I tend to doubt this car has any 968 parts but who knows.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:25 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK- How do you turn the LED on now that it is installed....?

edit- wait, are you saying you turn the rear wiper ON to turn the LED on? If so, that might be cool... would any of the other switches work? What about an extra window switch just re-located to that position? I actually burned a few wires down in there on the rear wiper switch when I removed it- long-*** story & I'm a complete electrical idiot...

BTW- Dan- what size front speakerrs do you have? I'm wanting to mount some 6.5's in early location (where 4x6's originally were) for my Turbo S- but, am wanting as much bass as possible -the damn dash cuts in & picnches most speakers there, so, would have to be very shallow- might not give much bass then- wondering if I should just stick w/5.25's under armrest like stock....? also wondering if I could get by w/anything else that would be a component up front & put out more bass...? TRied 6x8's under armrest- didn't work well.... anyway.... input? thanks for the LED idea- been wanting to do something like this for years- didn't realize other's had already done this.... :-)

As per blinking LED lock buttons- I bought some several years ago for my car to try to have these work instead of an alarm- I thought it would be a cool factory look idea too... it was more PITA than I wanted to get into- ALSO, the lock buttons I got were much longer than standard & when I screwed them into test the fit, they were up further when locked than the old ones were when UNlocked... I'll sell my pair to anyone who wants to try to make them work for a little less than regular cost & throw in S&H of course.... they're pretty small parts- I think I got the from Performacne Products when they did a 10% sale or something... one thing I DO remember- there were two dif types & one type was cheaper- I THINK the 968 was cheaper than 944 & I boguht t hose- if anyone is ingterested I'll dig them up & find actual part #'s, etc... PM me or whatever....
Old 03-31-2005, 01:28 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the LED door lock buttons in my car, and wired them to my alarm. Yu may want to consider the LED door lock buttons as an option. They have a flasher unit built in.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:33 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

NZ- yes, that was what I was wanting to do, only, not hook them to an alarm b/c my car did not come w/factory alarm that used those LED buttons... seems to be more of a PITA, but. now I'm wondering if it was just a matter of location- a centralized location like the console might be easier to power/switch the LED on/off......? I can't remember what the big issue was, but, it seemed like there was a lot of PITA obstacles to overcome when using the door ones- if you did an alarm, you might have already done something in the doors to provide power??? I DID install one-touch up/down window switches in the door- wondering IF I could somehow use those to power the door button LEDs... would just want them to blink when I got out of the car & locked it behind me- of course, I assume it would blink anytime the door were locked, whether in it or not....? Otherwise, a switch would be needed? I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical stuff... did I mention that? :-)
Old 03-31-2005, 01:40 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a factory alarm as well and deleted it. All I did was buy the LED factory door buttons, and bridge the aftermarket alarm's LED output to the door buttons. Easy, works great. I installed one one both doors. All that was needed was some tape to hold the fasher unit behind the door panel.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:57 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wait a sec- NZ- the factory alarm you had did not come w/LED buttons? I thought that was why the LED buttons were made- for factory alarms??? IS there a way to bridge the LED buttons to the door lock switch, so that they would blink whenever locked? Also, are there alarms out there that one can buy that do NOT need new actuators? I'm wondering if I could install a simple alarm that would be effective, that would just come on when I lock my doors w/my key...? OR, an alarm that simply comes on w/the press of a button regardless of whether or not I lock my doors? That I could press it on or off & that's it....? I'm wanting simplicity really....

LAST- NZ- did your lock buttons stick up father than your old stock buttons? Mine are at least .5" longer- more like .75" or so.... it's a pretty big dif- could get used to it I guess... wondering if mine WERE 968 parts & IF 968 parts ARE different... they screwed on though.... just changed the height.... Those little boxes on the back are so light that duct tape should hold them anywhere you want them to be.....
BTw- did you ever get your stereo set up? What size front speakers did you use? I'm considering some shallow 6.5's up front in the original 4x6 location.... I've seen it done here, but, ont in person... not sure if shallow 6.5's would provide the bass I want any better than regular 5.25's though....

Quick Reply: Flashing LED